Re: How to stop the updates.

At my side I create a rule for my 2 Dash, in my router.
I activate the rules after the dash is UP.
the rules is short, only block ssl protocol.
The weather and alarm working and no update screen appear

Love this tread... I'm in Clock mode. Hurry Duane and team...Chumbyfy the DASH. Yeah Baby!

Yesterday I booted DASH cold and let apps load. I blocked the Dash's IP on router. Then I blocked the range of Sony's server IPs stated earlier in this thread.
Then I released the IP and it has been solid like the old days for 24 hours. Thank you team Chumby ! BTW, this was
done on a Verizon Actiontec router. One thing I forgot, I don't have my theme and can't retrieve it. But it works good enough
for now. smile

milesxp_1 wrote:

At my side I create a rule for my 2 Dash, in my router.
I activate the rules after the dash is UP.
the rules is short, only block ssl protocol.
The weather and alarm working and no update screen appear

Still running with no update appear and all what i used run OK

RATS ! Update came back after 28 hours. Back to waiting for chumby medicine.

eastdiamond wrote:

Seriously?  I'm on day 4.  Wednesday night was when I applied my router rules.    Do you think maybe your router rules didn't stick?  My router doesn't have the ability to block ranges of IPs so I had to configure a static route.  I just route it to an internal IP that doesn't exist on my network.  Effectively the same thing as blocking.

I THOUGHT I still had access to netflix/pandora -- but no.  Those go through Sony, apparently.   I do have access to weather, news update apps and all my other little apps I've grown accustomed to (such as the X days until Christmas widget).   I also have access to a number of shoutcast streams.

jhonryan wrote:
eastdiamond wrote:

Seriously?  I'm on day 4.  Wednesday night was when I applied my router rules.    Do you think maybe your router rules didn't stick?  My router doesn't have the ability to block ranges of IPs so I had to configure a static route.  I just route it to an internal IP that doesn't exist on my network.  Effectively the same thing as blocking.

I THOUGHT I still had access to netflix/pandora -- but no.  Those go through Sony, apparently.   I do have access to weather, news update apps and all my other little apps I've grown accustomed to (such as the X days until Christmas widget).   I also have access to a number of shoutcast streams.

I really don't know my way around my router. I am just trying things. I was getting Pandora so I must have not had Sony blocked.
I only blocked inbound traffic. So now I blocked both ways and can not get Pandora. So big thanks for giving me that tip.
it is 10:25 am here in D.C area so lets see if I blocked it properly this time. BTW, the apps are running fine just not Pandora. I could not find at first how to block range of IPs but then discovered there was a drop down carrot that I clicked and it showed options that included IP range. I am a Noob for sure.

http://ssm.internet.sony.tv/DASH/stv/c/

I think this is where the update prompt is coming from. If only I could SSH into the Dash and turn off the update script..

Owner of three C1's, Infocast 3.5, Sony Dash C10, and Infocast 8. A tinkerer at heart and IT director by trade.

Still running update-free four days later. smile

drexful wrote:

If only I could SSH into the Dash and turn off the update script..

Soon.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

drexful wrote:

If only I could SSH into the Dash and turn off the update script..

It's not a script.  The whole thing is done through a daemon called "bivlcored".  It is the bulk of the Sony middleware, which includes all of the authentication and downloads of the manifest, among many other things.  It's kinda like the busybox do-everything binary that they use in their TVs.  It periodically fetches that manifest on its own - it's not triggered by cron or anything, but rather triggered by an internal timer.  When that manifest comes down, it's parsed and events are sent out to trigger other things in the system, in this case, a firmware update triggers an event to the Control Panel, which presents the dialog.

The chumby stuff we're working on shuts down bivlcored and replaces the Control Panel, among many other things.

I saw some people were trying to block the updates by removing "host_update" from the crontab.  It has nothing to do with updates of the firmware, it's a cron job that allowed us to download a hosts file in case we need to quickly move devices from one server to another when we couldn't wait for a new domain record to propagate.

Not sure if this is already known, but this is what has been working for me for a couple of days on my two Dashes -

1 - Reverted back to 1.7.1526
2 - Connected to network to startup and load Control Panel.
3 - Quickly, before the update dialog comes up, adjusted network configuration on the dash so that it fails to connect (put in the wrong router password)
4 - Waited a few minutes (probably not required, but happens to be what I did)
5 - Adjusted network configuration to re-connect (used correct router password this time)

Weather is updating normally.  I tried Pandora briefly and it worked as well.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but when I didn't do this I got forced into an update within a couple of minutes.  I'd go into more exact details, but I don't want to tempt fate going through it again when I don't need to yet.

Obviously this isn't a permanent fix.  I suspect if I have to reboot then I'll have to run through the process again.  But it is a band-aid while Sony still has the server up and until Duane finishes his solution.  Hope it helps someone else.

eastdiamond wrote:
jhonryan wrote:
eastdiamond wrote:

I really don't know my way around my router. I am just trying things. I was getting Pandora so I must have not had Sony blocked.
I only blocked inbound traffic. So now I blocked both ways and can not get Pandora. So big thanks for giving me that tip.
it is 10:25 am here in D.C area so lets see if I blocked it properly this time. BTW, the apps are running fine just not Pandora. I could not find at first how to block range of IPs but then discovered there was a drop down carrot that I clicked and it showed options that included IP range. I am a Noob for sure.

Well, it has been 6 days without Sony (spam) update. Apps are running and updating with current news. Blocking
the range of IPs both incoming and outgoing did the deed. Pandora doesn't run so I am sure Sony is blocked.

BTW, anyone know how to get a different theme? I am stuck with the theme that has my apps running on left side of screen (good thing) but pictures, videos, and music selections on left side ( bad/annoying thing ). Thanks to everyone again for
the cobbled but running dash. Long live the chumbydash.

The information about where to get themes also comes down in the same manifest as update information.

It doesn't matter anyway, Sony removed the actual themes from their servers quite a while ago - the links to the themes were all 404.

I had to unblock the sony IP range as my dash rebooted for some reason (was gone for the weekend -- maybe a power glitch).

It's been "authorizing" for about 30 mins.  Are the servers down?

No way to know.

That particular behavior wasn't that uncommon even when the device was officially supported.

jhonryan wrote:

Yeah, just power cycle it again.  That usually fixes it.

riblet2000 wrote:
jhonryan wrote:

Yeah, just power cycle it again.  That usually fixes it.

Already done and it did.  Actually took two power cycles.  The first one came up with a "expired" error message which had me a bit concerned.  2nd power cycle did the trick.

I have this problem of Authorizing screen appear begin friday, only on device on clock mode the other one is ok on the weather.
It's a new symptom.

A week or maybe 2-weeks ago, both my Dashes on 1526 FW quit requesting update and appear to be working normally.  No idea what changed.

I decided that I wanted to try running my Dash in network blocked mode until the cheap alarm clock arrives.  First step was to connect to the network, and then abort the upgrade.  Well, it may be because I requested the alarm clock, but now, after connecting to the network, Sony sends a screen saying my is not authorized.  Only thing I can do is to pull the plug.

yasbean wrote:

I decided that I wanted to try running my Dash in network blocked mode until the cheap alarm clock arrives.  First step was to connect to the network, and then abort the upgrade.  Well, it may be because I requested the alarm clock, but now, after connecting to the network, Sony sends a screen saying my is not authorized.  Only thing I can do is to pull the plug.

If you blocked the Sony server ip range in your router, unblock it and then power up. Keep trying. I received my " gifts " weeks ago and I just had a power outage yesterday. So, I had to unblock sony router, let it load control panel, my apps came back, then I blocked sony router. Running fine!