Topic: New 1.7.1604 Update as of July 12, 2017 from Sony

So I have a 1.7.1604 update tile showing on my Dashes, do I allow the update or will this kill my Dashes outright.
TIA.

Re: New 1.7.1604 Update as of July 12, 2017 from Sony

Fairly sure it will kill it. I ran the update, killed it, rolled it back and then the firmware box came up again. Husband ran the up date and it died again. Now my last one is asking to update too. I'm not seeing any way around it either. sad

3 (edited by dougsr 2017-07-12 19:36:56)

Thanks for the heads-up I just unplugged it and plugged it back in after I read your warning, no update everything is still ok. Then I put it in the night mode for the time being.
I have one more still unplugged after the update tile appeared and 1 more where the update hasn't appeared yet but I'll unplug it when it does.

My dash was still working but it got zapped with the firmware update so I powered it off.  It had not been rebooted
since July 1.

I know another unit which failed to load control panel after July 1.  I wonder if that unit was safe, or
could Sony push out a firmware update to a unit with no control panel active?

rdroode wrote:

My dash was still working but it got zapped with the firmware update so I powered it off.  It had not been rebooted
since July 1.

I know another unit which failed to load control panel after July 1.  I wonder if that unit was safe, or
could Sony push out a firmware update to a unit with no control panel active?

I doubt it, since the cp is what would do the downloading of the update (as far as I know).

My test dash is one of the ones that says "can't download control panel', so I haven't been able to test whether our fix works with a dash that's taken the update.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

I haven't had a chance to check the version, but I put my Dash in night mode last night, woke up to my alarm this morning, and the upgrade message was no longer present. Maybe someone else has the same success.

I'm actively trying to avoid losing my advanced alarm (M-F) and I don't believe it's an option in offline mode.

pnut wrote:

I haven't had a chance to check the version, but I put my Dash in night mode last night, woke up to my alarm this morning, and the upgrade message was no longer present. Maybe someone else has the same success.

I'm actively trying to avoid losing my advanced alarm (M-F) and I don't believe it's an option in offline mode.

My dash automatically goes to night mode.  I found the same thing when I got up at 4am today.  I left home about an hour later and there was still no upgrade-nag.  I'll report back when I get home today.

I got the pop-up telling me to hit "OK" to install 1.7.1604 on July 12.  I tried everything I knew to do to avoid installing it; no luck.  In desperation, I unplugged the Dash, and then plugged it back in.  To my amazement, it booted up just fine.  I immediately put it into nighttime clock mode.  Today, I blocked access to the Internet for the Dash MAC address, and then went in and checked the firmware version, it was not 1.7.1604.  All my preset alarms are still there. I deleted all my "events" to go between  daytime and nighttime screens.  I haven't seen any more pop-up screens since power cycling on July 12.   I'm leaving it as is for now, I hope it stays stable until the new Chumby-Dash software is available.

I upgraded mine to the old firmware.  Was then getting the 'ok' only option on the killer 'upgrade.'

I then blocked the MAC address.  Unplugged it, plugged it back in. It then asked for a new network.  I said no, and now it is an ugly clock that says it need a network to function.

Will leave it like this for now.

Started tweeting to @sony and the various tech news and IoT outlets about this.

https://twitter.com/mdfrancois/status/8 … 5541918720

10 (edited by dougsr 2017-07-14 22:15:05)

After narrowly avoiding Sony's 1.7.1604 "BRICK" Firmware update and coming to grips that I have total lack of trust for Sony, I've decided to just unplug all 3 of my C10 Dashes preserving the 1.7.1526 firmware and wait for Duane's firmware.
I'm not giving Sony the opportunity.

11 (edited by jmarcus25 2017-07-15 20:54:58)

I allowed mine to update today. Now it is just an alarm clock without an advanced alarm setting but it does allow you to choose what days the alarm goes off. You can blank the display with a power save button but the display does not automatically dim.

2 of my 4 CID-10s turned into a brick!!!