Re: Post in this thread if you have a dash...

Well, I would have been fine with it being a clock! Instead it bricked mine.  I reinstalled back to a previous version and it worked fine for a minute, then got the "update" screen.  Unplugged it and waiting to see what's going on.  I have another dash in the kitchen that's still going strong.

I have two.   Well, one Dash is now a brick, but another is tucked away in my closet (and off-line from Sony's prying updates) waiting to see what you can come up with.

I reinstalled the old version from the USB, downloaded the theme, etc.. then unplugged it before the update screen appeared.  I'm thinking of downloading the last "update" from the sony support site to see if I can get the clock working.  That's really all I used lately.

Unknowingly I had the update on my screen today and went to Sony where they had a "update" that I thought meant it needed to be completed with a USB so it would update to the newest WORKING version (https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-down … roup_id=18)
Little did I know that I was updating it to become a PAPER WEIGHT!
I got into the Update screen once and it updated the software with the new version from the USB..essentially causing the setup screen to freeze after that and only allow the Sony splash screen and Sony logo to flash.
I chatted with customer support since I wasn't aware Sony was sabotaging its Dash on purpose, and he also pointed me to the same page to update my software so it would function again! I told him I had done it multiple times and after the first one seemed to fail (it actually didn't fail, it was what disabled everything!) I couldn't press anything on the setup screen. He had no clue (or pretended not to) about the end of life of the Dash.
I can't believe a company can just turn an item with their name on it into a paperweight! What is stopping them from updating firmware in a TV or computer they sell rendering it useless?? I am officially boycotting this company because of their unscrupulous actions.

I have a Dash C10. The only way I could get any use out of it is to keep it disconnected to the internet, it works as a non-dim-able clock with a single-setting alarm.

I have a Dash C10 that';s become a garbage alarm clock.  I can't believe Sony did this.  I immediately went into my XBR TV and disabled all automatic updates.  This type of update is unheard of and I also sent a message to SONY stating so.  I will definitely rethink any future Sony purchases.  Garbage customer service.  Here's hoping the Chumby community will come to the rescue.

I had posted yesterday that when my alarm went off and I took my dash out of "night mode", the update message was gone.  However, it returned by the time I got home from work.

Today, again, my alarm went off at 4am.  I took it out of night mode and the update was gone.  To see if it's related to "night mode" I placed it in night mode before I left for work an hour later (message still had not come back).

I'll check when I get home to see if there's no message still...

Thanks!  Not excited about that limited alarm clock "feature". So, I threw in the towel for now and converted my old iPad mini into my alarm clock.  Nightstand Central is a great app. I'd post a photo but not sure how to do that here.

I have 2 C10s. One was a reconditioned unit that I bought when they first came out, the other I picked up on eBay a couple of months back. I have one in my Ham shack and the other in the kitchen. The one in the kitchen was always displaying the clock that was always under construction to build each number. Everyone who saw it loved it. Sad day when it went away. Would love to see that one come back. The other unit is my basic GMT clock for ham radio operations. At the moment both are showing the 'update-or-piss-off' screen, so I'm in Duane's corner hoping for new life. Will be subscribing shortly.

Thanks for your work on this project, Duane. Looking forward to the new update that keeps my Dash running.

I have 2 C10's also, one "upgraded" to the wonderful alarm clock and the other offline waiting on some other solution.

I have one. Relatives of mine have two others.

morly wrote:

I have a Dash and would very much like to recuse it, so thanks!

Currently asking me to do the 1604 update, which I'm not doing...is there no way to get rid of the message telling you to update?!?

If you boot and don't connect to the internet, you should get the "dumb clock" display (it does have an alarm, but that's it)-- see my thread posted today. Better than the update screen!

I own a Dash. 

I had stopped using it for awhile since Sony had basically abandoned all interest in the device.  After hearing that Sony was discontinuing support for the device, I was hoping to simply use it as a Weather/MP3/picture alarm clock.  I still cannot believe they would deliberately issue a firmware designed to cripple the hardware. 

The offer of a $20 clock radio is an insult.

I have a C10 and when I got home the other day and saw the firmware update, but didn't upgrade. Glad I checked here first. I have it in Night mode for the time being.

Thanks for working on this. I have a greatly valued Sony Dash

I have 2 HID-C10s.  Just joined because I have a firmware update dialog and I read Sony was shutting down Dash service, so was wary about update and glad I didn't take it.

I leave it on the clock & weather display and would be fine if the FW update made that it's only function, but screenshots I've seen, the update turns it into a regular old dumb alarm clock, and I definitely don't want that.

Could we monitor/debug what the Sony site is authenticating?  We could then change the host file to a local server to emulate what the authentication is?

I have a Dash.  Looking forward to the new firmware that you guys are working on.  For now, my Dash is powered off until it is safe again.

I have two.  One is a brick with an unresponsive touchscreen.  The other is operational as a clock.

I have one of these pretty illuminated doorstops. If there's anything that can be done to make it useful again, I'd be a very happy camper. (I'd also probably look into aftermarket faceplates to remove all traces of Sony branding from the device)

jbenfield wrote:

(I'd also probably look into aftermarket faceplates to remove all traces of Sony branding from the device)

Yes! Chumdash...

I've had a Dash that's probably the original version (2010?).  Can't live without it.  Relied on it EVERY DAY for 5-day weather at a glance.  Bricked it initially, then I saw an 'unbrick solution' that worked.  Now I have a clock...which is better than the flashing 'SONY' logo any day of the week.  Especially after this BS of intentionally trying to ruin hardware on purpose.

I have a Chumby One, an Insignia Infocast 3.5, and a Sony C10  smile

Owner of three C1's, Infocast 3.5, Sony Dash C10, and Infocast 8. A tinkerer at heart and IT director by trade.

I have 2 Dashes. One I bricked to factory reset setting. Thanks for unbricking zip. So both are ready and
waiting. Happy smiles here now that there is hope. Peace.