Re: Post in this thread if you have a dash...

I have a Sony Dash and love the thing.  Take it into the bathroom with Me when I am taking a bath with some candles and wine.  Would love to see an solution here to keep it working going forward after July.

I'm ready and willing!

I have three Dashes total: two at home and one in the lab at work (which sits next to a Chumby 8). My family also has some Dash units and they are all looking to me for a solution after July 1st. :-)

Thanks for keeping this conversation alive!  I still have a HID-C10 that I would like to keep using as well.  Let me know about any beta testing opportunities.  smile

I'm another HIC-C10 owner happy with the prospect of support after Sony slams the door.

I wonder how many others are out there are just lurking and waiting for someone to keep their Dash/Dashes alive.  I saw also that Sony has deleted the message boards for the Dash on their website.
Thank you to Duane and others to keep our alarm clocks available for us!

I have 2 dashs that i have used for years as only alarm clocks. I have not used them to their full capabilities i know, but they are by far the best darn alarm clocks out on the market place. I hated to see a year or so ago they stoped working and was forced to buy two new alarm clocks (one for me and other for my wife) because of the software update issue. I was never so happy when the fix was ready for download and i could bring both of out of the drawer and up and running again. I missed them!
I hate the thought of loosing them again. Sounds like some folks on here are working on a solution for that problem and i hope it works out. I will be signing up for whatever or whomever that can provide a solution to this death sentence that sony has sent our way.
Count me in!

Re: Sony Dash

I purchased 3 of them when they first came out. One for me and one each for my kids.

I'm hoping to keep it running. I only use it to check the weather and as an alarm clock.

Will I be notified when and where to move forward with this?

jimt29 wrote:

Will I be notified when and where to move forward with this?

Sorry, you'll have to check back here.

We're not Sony, so we don't have any list of users to contact when this becomes available, beyond the random folks that have posted here.  My guess is there are at least as many Sony dash users just lurking on the forum but haven't posted.

If you're on Facebook or Twitter, you can also follow us there.

I have one that stopped authenticating yesterday sad.

I have two C10 Dashes and saw Sony's end-of-life notice for the first time Wednesday 6/28. I just discovered this forum have subscribed.  Looking forward to a positive outcome...

I have one.  Been unplugged singe early June, today on a whim I plugged it in and it is operating as normal.  However, it appeared to have done a factory reset.  I'm new to looking for information about this, but glad to find you!

Duane,
First of all thanks for your hard work. My family uses our 2 dash devices to get weather and news snippets daily as well as pandora and netflix.

Should I sign up now for the Chumby service or just wait until Sony officially pulls the plug?

Super excited to keep my Dash going!

Hello,
I have a Sony Dash C10. I have a copy of the firmware 1.7.1526 released in 2016 by Sony. I also have a couple of Chumbys but (I am a happy Chumby subscriber too) but I am standing by in hopes that Duane will be successful in bringing the Dash back to a useful life..
Since today is the "official day" of Sony declaring the Dash as "dead" (non-supported) I wanted to check to see if this is the correct firmware version to get the Dash ready for "Chumbyfication??
Thanks!

A also have a Sony Dash.    Would love to continue using it.    Loved using Pandora on it.    Very happy to have found someone/someplace where there is an interest in keeping this little device alive.

Hey, is there a way to see the names of the widgets I have on my Dash? I can't remember all of them, and with Sony taking away access to the setup server, all I have is the widget thumbnail in the app selector.

scarabaeus wrote:

Hey, is there a way to see the names of the widgets I have on my Dash? I can't remember all of them, and with Sony taking away access to the setup server, all I have is the widget thumbnail in the app selector.

If your device is still alive, try [top button]=>MENU=>Themes & Apps=>Edit Channel.  That *should* show you the names of the apps for each channel.

Crazysal wrote:

Duane,
First of all thanks for your hard work. My family uses our 2 dash devices to get weather and news snippets daily as well as pandora and netflix.

Should I sign up now for the Chumby service or just wait until Sony officially pulls the plug?

Subscribe for widget access if you like at any time.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Duane wrote:
scarabaeus wrote:

If your device is still alive, try [top button]=>MENU=>Themes & Apps=>Edit Channel.  That *should* show you the names of the apps for each channel.

Thank you for the tip. Unfortunately, all that brings up is a message that a registration is required at sony.com/mydash...

Oh well, I found most of my widgets on your site already. Even some that were removed by sony (Yay, RoboClock!). Ready and excited for the switch-over!

The only one I'm missing is a clock with a simple, thin white font that auto-adjusts in full screen mode from 4:3 to 16:9. It seems to have been avalable only with Sony. The wide screen seems to be the main difference between chumbys and dash's with regard to apps.

scarabaeus wrote:

The only one I'm missing is a clock with a simple, thin white font that auto-adjusts in full screen mode from 4:3 to 16:9. It seems to have been avalable only with Sony. The wide screen seems to be the main difference between chumbys and dash's with regard to apps.

Well, that doesn't sound too hard to make, I'll put it on my list of things to do.  Do you want something like a bright version of what you get in Night mode?

Duane wrote:

Well, that doesn't sound too hard to make, I'll put it on my list of things to do.  Do you want something like a bright version of what you get in Night mode?

Wow, that's super nice. I think I might take a stab at this, would be a good way to learn how to develop these apps. I wanted to explore other areas of software development anyways. I've been doing low-level driver stuff in C for over 30 years, actually worked at Sigma Designs on the video and audio drivers for their SoC. I designed the video timings (50, 59.94 and 60 Hz) for the Dash LCD panel for Sony, back in the day. I didn't work on the middleware, though.

273 (edited by fritzhurst 2017-07-01 15:16:01)

I have 2 that I simply use as alarms.   

Large clock display (that I can see at night) and weather on the panel on the right.  Dim at night with a full screen clock.

Like the ability to set multiple alarms, and use multiple wake up sounds.

Thanks Duane for making the effort to keep these alive!!

I contributed during some of the outages by posting instructions on how to change DNS and point to my hosted DNS which served up the correct domain.  They had changed the IP's of the dash.sony.com domain and devices wouldn't register when powered off.

Love my Dash - hate the support Sony offered for it....

BTW, this is how the App Icon looked, and the clock on full screen.

http://scara.com/images/WidescreenClock_AppIcon.jpg

http://scara.com/images/WidescreenClock.jpg

Maybe whomever created that one and submitted it to Sony, might want to submit it here, too, as everyone left at Sony will soon migrate here.

janitor: fixed img links.

Happy to have found this forum and its users.  I have a Dash.