Topic: Frequently Asked Questions, and Related Answers.

If you notice a question that's being asked frequently, please post it in here, with the question in bold and the answer directly below it. If you don't know the answer, please post the question in a different thread and wait until it gets answered so we can keep this thread nice and concise and easy to read.

This page should be/will be mirrored onto the Wiki when possible.

Re: Frequently Asked Questions, and Related Answers.

I have noticed the touch screen gets warm during operation. Is this normal?
Yes, this is normal behavior for the screen. Chumby's electronic components generate heat, and because Chumby's body acts as an insulator, the only way for that heat to escape is through the screen.
(thanks Steve Tomlin for this answer).

Will Chumby support streaming radio?
Yes! Chumby already has software for streaming radio, but accessing it currently is difficult. Chumby Industries are working on the problem, and it will soon be fixed. However, in the meantime, if you would like to use the streaming radio software and are brave enough to enter the shell, you can have Chumby play internet radio stations. See the Wiki for details.

4 (edited by tismey 2008-02-23 05:14:27)

awalton wrote:

Will Chumby support streaming radio?
Yes! Chumby already has software for streaming radio, but accessing it currently is difficult. Chumby Industries are working on the problem, and it will soon be fixed. However, in the meantime, if you would like to use the streaming radio software and are brave enough to enter the shell, you can have Chumby play internet radio stations. See the Wiki for details.

I figured it would be worth updating this, in case people come to the FAQ thread and don't read other posts on this topic.

Streaming radio is now very easy and does not require entering the shell -  there is a 'Music' section of the control panel which allows you to stream internet radio via one of 3 methods. Radio Free Chumby is a selection of stations suggested by users. There is a Shoutcast option which allows you to search shoutcast for stations, or you can input the stream URL into 'My Streams' by hand.

i started a post with FAQ's a while back. some that are still useful:

* microphone: not supported yet, but if  you wanna experiment, use alsa to access.

* battery: if you hook up a 9V to the battery pigtail in production chumbys, you'll get juice enough to unplug, move and re-plug. there have been reports of a charge lasting up to 1/2 hour.

* "flash is expensive": folks have been reporting success with freeware alternates, but some yeild large SWFs.

* "mature content": Chumby exposes you to the Internet: warts and all... but the widget-choosing/channel-building interface is being reviewed with an eye toward managing this.

* can Chumby run a Web browser?: kinda. but not in a satisfying way. see http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=969

* I'm having trouble with the XXX widget! : Be sure to direct questions to the widget's author in the widget forum

hi i just bought a chumby and i am new to them. is there anyway i can stream internet radio like a normal internet radio because i dont have pandora since i'm in ireland

thanks in advance

Look at the post two posts above yours.

No, no, look here: http://www.chumby.com/guide/widget/YouStreams !

Thanks guys..
Cheers...

how to deal with depression

If for some reason Chumby got out of business or it's servers are not operating, will my Chumby still be able to stream Pandora and give me the time and weather?