Topic: Darn college surplus!

Well cruising the college surplus, I found an HP thin client for $10.00

It is a HP T5700 with a Transmeta Crusoe TM5800 1.0 GHz processor, 256 meg of memory and flash drive and an ATI Rage video card all in a very compact fanless case.

I just happen to have a 512 meg memory card that fit so I was able to give it a small boost.

So what am I going to do with it? Not really sure! I comes with Windows XPe which is the embedded version. It will run standard Windows or Linux for that matter if I upgrade the hard drive.

Might use it for computer in the living room. It is quiet due to no fans. I might use it for my CNC.

Darn my computer hoarding! ;-)

Re: Darn college surplus!

I have a HP5720.. I loaded the HP Debian image onto it.  And it's crap.  Slow to boot, slow to login...  I wanted an "instant on" remote terminal for my (so-called) Library Room.  This wasn't it.  http://sweh.spuddy.org/Essays/Thin_Client_Options.html

Today I actually have a Asus Android tablet doing the job; it's pretty close to what I wanted!

3 (edited by infocastme 2014-06-12 20:10:56)

SWEH, your link is a very interesting read. I am also considering DSL just for kicks. It has actually been picked back up but still not very current.

Like I said, not sure what to do with it, but had to pick it to play with for the price. (sigh)!

Have a few Android tablets which I want to incorporate one into a multimedia stereo thing-a-ma-jig.

Would you consider throwing Puppy Linux on it?
http://www.puppylinux.com/

With WindowsXP (or linux) you could make it a personal cloud storage device using Bittorrent Sync.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

Would you consider throwing Puppy Linux on it?

I have used Puppy Linux in the past on an old laptop and was very impressed with it.

I am going to throw a lot of various OSs on the unit and see what works the best.

The Transmeta CPU has a lot of overhead so it is not the speediest in its class.