Topic: Internet Radio

I see in the development section that someone has been working on internet radio for chumby.
With the flood of internet radios coming on the market, (see reciva.com), it would be great if
chumby got a fully working internet radio widget! I would give up the widgets just for chumby
to be a fully functional internet radio if need be. Come on Chumby, you can do internet radio!

Re: Internet Radio

they've said many times that this will be in the next release

So the chumby can't play internet radio at all?

4 (edited by skada 2007-11-14 11:13:36)

It can, but it's a bit of a pain, currently:

http://wiki.chumby.com/mediawiki/index. … _to_chumby
http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=770

Very soon Insiders will be able to see streaming Internet radio in an early form as we're still working on it.

Thanks everybody! Internet radio will be available as a widget, keep checking the widgets and for those who cannot wait member skada provided the URL to go to for the howto. I went to the URL and found more neat stuff in addition to the internet radio such as making the chumby click, etc. Of course, you need to know a bit about linux to use the instructions at the URL or you can just wait for the Internet radio widget to become available. Thanks again everyone.

7 (edited by skada 2007-11-14 19:51:34)

@Radar - how do you know it will be a widget - did you have an offline conversation with a "Chumbian", or was there a post I missed? I imagine it will have a widget component (Now Playing or something to that effect), but I was thinking the main controls might be under "Music" in the control panel.

BTW, you don't need to know anything about Linux to run Internet radio now - just follow the instructions :-)

Steve Tomlin wrote:

Very soon Insiders will be able to see streaming Internet radio in an early form as we're still working on it.

this is exciting.  i had been thinking "oh cool, that will come eventually, that will be nice", but now that my chumby is here, I am chomping at the bit!

It wasn't me. I don't claim to know anything. I just click on those little widget thingies and if it works it works, if it don't it don't.
So, if and when they release Chumby Internet Radio where all I have to do is click on it to select the internet radio station then
I'm going to put a Chumby in every room of the house but if I have to follow instructions in the howto that skada gave the URL
for then life for me will be with just one little ole' Chumby in my house. Obviously, I am not a supergeekie, huh? I just geek!

Ok - from the way you posted, it just looked like you had some inside info. I trust the new Internet music feature will be easy to use.

It will be easy to use.  I clicked on it and am listening to KCRW over my chumby now -- and if *I* can do it, anyone can :^)

I currently use Pandora, SlimServer and a Squeezebox. I'd happily sell my Squeezebox, if I can channel Pandora (or comparable free internet radio) through my Chumby.

Chumby Fan in AZ

A followup question, would it be possible to run internet radio widget in the background (audibly) while still cycling through my visual widgets (ie RSS, news, photos, etc.)?

Chumby Fan in AZ

14 (edited by skada 2007-11-15 10:30:26)

Steve Tomlin wrote:

if *I* can do it, anyone can :^)

Not too encouraging coming from a Yale and Harvard grad school graduate :-)

http://www.connect.org/press/nl2005-07-12.htm

Seriously though, I'm sure it will be easy.

fencken wrote:

A followup question, would it be possible to run internet radio widget in the background (audibly) while still cycling through my visual widgets (ie RSS, news, photos, etc.)?

Yes - the upcoming music functionality is actually managed by the Control Panel somewhat separately from the widgets - that means that music can be running continuously in the background while the widgets are cycling on the display.

Duane,

Can you give us any more details to the upcoming music functionality? I am hoping to get a Chumby very soon and this functionality is key to me being able to convince the wife that I "need" one.

Thanks

-HuckFinn

Can't tell you that much specifically about the radio yet but we'll be exposing the actual capabilities (in beta form) in a couple of weeks to our Insider buyers, so you'll be hearing a lot about it :^)  It will be streaming Internet radio from a large directory of stations and podcasts, also from a directory provider.

Please, please put Radio Paradise (www.radioparadise.com) in the Directory :-D
Best internet radio station...ever...

Thanks!

Glad to hear it Steve. Having my Chumby streaming music to my main entertainment center downstairs will be quite nice!

King Nacho

T.C.A.R.

Steve, thanks for the information. I am looking forward to hearing more about this. Now I just to get one in my hands ;-)

-HuckFinn

Easy way for radio

enable ssh
go to shoutcast.com
find the station you want
open the pls in notepad
btplay thataddress

Steve Tomlin wrote:

Can't tell you that much specifically about the radio yet but we'll be exposing the actual capabilities (in beta form) in a couple of weeks to our Insider buyers, so you'll be hearing a lot about it :^)  It will be streaming Internet radio from a large directory of stations and podcasts, also from a directory provider.

How about the First 50 as well?

"We will find a way, or we will make one."

Everyone with a chumby, excluding the original early suede "alpha" chumbys, will get the same updated software with this new functionality.  We'll certainly be making it easier to get streaming Net radio than going the SSH route -- just requiring a fingertip.  I'm listening to KCRW on my chumby now and I haven't the slightest idea of how to deal with SSH or btplay, etc.  Others here love the geek power; me?...I love the simplicity :^)

It has been over 2 weeks since this post. Any idea when this feature is going to be available? Will it play reciva.com stations? Does this also include USB playback?

As mentioned elsewhere, as soon as it gets through QA we'll get it.

Patience Daniel-San...

wink