Topic: My ignorance is shameful, but I have to ask...

Why is it a Star Trek clock?
I mean, what makes it "Star Trekky", not why choose a Star Trek theme.
Also, what is LCARS?
Obviously, I'm not much of a one for Star Trek. Which is odd, really - I absolutely loved sci-fi (books, at least) from childhood until sometime in my twenties, then I sort of went off it.

Re: My ignorance is shameful, but I have to ask...

that widget is one that Duane wrote, and he figured that a clock/calendar would be a generic useful thing while he worked to resurrect the full service.

lcars is what the star trek next gen people called that style of interface that they plastered all over the new enterprise.

that's ok, I couldn't stand the next generation version .... I'm a original series person, myself wink

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

From Wikipedia:

In the Star Trek fictional universe, LCARS (/ˈɛlkɑrz/; an acronym for Library Computer Access/Retrieval System) is a computer operating system. Within Star Trek chronology, the term was first used in Star Trek: The Next Generation and in subsequent shows. In a real-world context, "LCARS" is frequently used to describe the style of the computer displays of the LCARS system, especially the screens from The Next Generation.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

I see. Thank you.

One of the Sony managers was a big Star Trek fan - at one point during dash development, I did an entire LCARs theme as an example codebase for their developers to generate their own dash themes - it supported the dual clocks, alarms, multiple weather cities, music status, photos, widget management, etc.  The "buttons" on the left that are just decorative in the clock were fully functional in the theme.

Obviously, it was never going to ship, but it actually looked pretty cool on the dash.

6 (edited by directive0 2014-03-20 15:29:32)

Its pretty awesome Duane, thanks for making it the default.

I love the TANSTAAFL button.

I love that Star Trek clock! Duane, is there any way to translate/localize week days and months?

Supporting any type of customization of this widget (either providing an alternative or having settings for this one) requires that something keep track of that configuration, which means you're back in the server/account business again.

The stub server is *very* simple, since it was basically an emergency life-support system - it doesn't really keep track of anything (well, to be fair it keeps track of some analytics, but that's about it).

The full server, which is being tested now, supports the bulk of the original service, in which case this sort of customization would be possible.

In the case of that widget, I *think* it understands the 12/24 hour flag that some of the Control Panels support, but I don't know if the entire font is included, or if that font has all the necessary characters to support a rich set of translations.

The Space Clock DOES work with the 12/24 flag fine, but the date format does not change.