Topic: Infocast 8 w/C8 firmware... no web status page?

I've been searching the forums and the only reference to the I8's web status page that I can find is the wiki, under http://wiki.chumby.com/index.php?title= … web_server

It says " (note for Infocast only - this is not on by default and must be started from a debugchumby script)". 
I figured with the C8 firmware that would not be an issue anymore, but no web page on port 80, and no ports (that I would expect) open on the I8 except 22 (ssh port). 
However, I can't find the proper debugchumby script to enable the status page that is referenced in the wiki.

Thanks!

Re: Infocast 8 w/C8 firmware... no web status page?

I don't have one in front of me, but try the command:

/usr/sbin/httpd -h /www &

If that works, you should be able to put that in a debugchumby script.

That did it.  Now, how do I edit the little guy itself so I don't have to run a debugchumby script from USB?  Is that a cron job?

smile

in the C8, the webserver startup is in /etc/init.d/rcS.background.

# Webserver     
if [ "${BRAND}" = "chumby" ]; then
    is_primary && /usr/sbin/httpd -h /www               
fi

you could try a

mount -o remount,rw /

then edit that file.

if there's one on the I8.

though tyou should then change the brand it's looking for... or remove the if and fi lines.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

5 (edited by billyjack669 2014-03-11 10:03:37)

The file exists, and it had the # Webserver area.  I commented out the if and fi statements and I have web on boot now.  Thanks to both of you!

Now on to remote controlling Pianobar from the web.  smile

By the way, the Pianobar linked in the zurk offline discussion (on sourceforge or wherever it resides) that MaterDaddy is involved in *does* work on the stock C1/I3.5 AND the Infocast 8 (with C8 firmware at least).

billyjack669 wrote:

Now on to remote controlling Pianobar from the web.  smile

What scripts are you using for that?  Custom rolled to echo to a named pipe?  Do you serve up artwork or anything?

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

Ha.  I have nothing yet.  I figure on using CGI scripts to echo characters into the FIFO ctl file that pianobar uses for controlling the playback etc (if I can figure it out.)  No album art or anything, I just don't want to smudge the screen when I hate a song enough to click THUMBS DOWN. 

It's about time I got your attention Materdaddy!  I've emailed you through this forum and through your website's contact link to see how far you got with this, and if you've tried making LibSpotify work as well.
I tried installing the arm build of LibSpotify but ran out of space on the file system somehow. 

BillyJack

Oh, it might have gone to my spam folder, sorry!  I much prefer PMs on forums, but this PunBB's concept of PMs are to send e-mails.

Which website's contact link?  I wonder if it's even working anymore... tongue

I have not tried LibSpotify, only pianobar.  I have a couple working(ish) solutions as does a co-worker.  He wrote some very basic stuff and mine was only command line control when Duane restored the service.  I seem to have less buffering issues using pianobar than the chumby pandora music source, but I never got full control of pianobar scripted up.  I'll probably be revisiting it within the next couple months because I'm wanting to do more on the home automation front again.

Currently I use pidora on a raspberry pi, but I'm not happy with it and will likely write something that should work on both the chumby and the raspberry pi.  I'll make most things client-side using jQuery.  jquery runs ok on the qt webkit demo for my infocast 8's too, FYI.  Maybe a little slow, but not too bad.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker