Topic: Widget Database Cleanup?

I have been using a Sony Dash while waiting for the Chumby service to come back.  I have noticed in the last 2 days that some of the current widgets are now discontinued.  Is there a widget database cleanup in progress?  Does this mean that the new Blue Octy service is imminent?  Thanks!

Re: Widget Database Cleanup?

There's no connection between the Sony Dash service and Chumby/Blue Octy.

I'd heard that Sony was in the process of abandoning it's Dash customers.

all that said, the chumbys are starting to rumble around in their slumber in preparation to reawaken

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

I asked Sony to remove some widgets from their catalog that were causing a load on Blue Octy's content servers.  They were supposed to use their own content servers for them, but apparently never did so.

I don't see any reason to personally pay for bandwidth for Sony's products.

They have the source code for those widgets - they are free to set up their own servers and fix the widgets.

The widget caches on the dash devices are still expiring, but so far, I've regained about 4% of the CPU and about 100kbps in bandwidth.

so *that* is what caused the dropoff on the charts! haha.

ok, let me rephrase, there *should be* no connection between the dashes and Chumby wink

Well, the kitten images on the main Sony page are gone. It's too bad I forgot to screencap them. Duane, I hope that you can regain as much server capacity as possible, so the full Chumby services will cost less.

Duane wrote:

They have the source code for those widgets - they are free to set up their own servers and fix the widgets.

I don't think they are going to fix anything.  I think the death count is ticking.   I can't complain too much about Sony.  My 2 Dashes have been a great substitute during Chumby's hibernation.

maybe if enough of their customers complain about it, they'll do something, they've certainly got the resources to be able to afford to do so, even if the company isn't doing great.

I've sent a list of additional URLs on our servers being actively hit by dashes, so I think you can expect a few more widgets to disappear.

Every widget I'm asking for removal is something they can fix if they're so inclined.  So far, none of the widgets are third-party, only ones written by Chumby with full source code provided to them when the split happened.