Topic: Unregistered Chumby

I have two C1's. One is registered and the other is not. Both of them are currently receiving the Star Trek clock without any problems.

I'm assuming that when the system goes live again that my registered one will work perfectly, but what about the unregistered one?

Will I be able to register it?

Thank you.

Re: Unregistered Chumby

Yes, you'll be able to register your new chumby and add it to your account.

part of the delay in getting the new service going was the time, and great care that Duane was putting into saving the old accounts, and working with a database that had accumulated many years of cruft in the original chumby system.

It would have been a lot easier to to just say "feh" and blow away all the old user accounts and settings (and your list of widgets), and start fresh, but that's not how Duane operates.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Thank you!

I have my own Chumby, but I bought a second one used. I saw in that one were Pandora stations that must have been set up by the previous owner.

Will this pre-owned Chumby suddenly come alive with the old owners widgets and account?

Marc Silverman
New York City
SilverMarc.com | Chumbian.com
MY POWER TEAM: Macintosh, iPhone, Chumby, Geocaching, WheresGeorge.

Very likely.  You can get rid of the Pandora settings by restoring to factory defaults, and when the server comes back, there will be a way to deregister the device and reregister it to your account.

Duane wrote:

Very likely.  You can get rid of the Pandora settings by restoring to factory defaults, and when the server comes back, there will be a way to deregister the device and reregister it to your account.

Good to see that confirmed.  I've acquired a few Chumby/Infocast devices during the down time and wondered about this.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

Duane wrote:

Thanks - any chance there will be a way to enable the "Internode Radio" music source for chumbies not sourced from Internode?

One of the devices I picked up second hand must not have come via Internode, and hence does not show the "Internode Radio" music source when the others do (even after a re-flash)...

The special Internode support was due to a contractual relationship between Chumby Industries and Internode, and special devices were tagged for resale by them to support the Internode systems.  The tag is checked by the software when deciding whether or not to add the music source to the list.

There are two issues:

1) I am not party to the contract between Chumby and Internode so I really can't legally change the behavior.

2) From a technical standpoint, I can't enable Internode on the rest of the chumbys without the Internode music source showing up on every chumby in the world, and this source will only work if the device is actually hosted on Internode's network.

If Internode were to enter into a new contract with Blue Octy, and we were to find another method to restrict the availability of the music source to chumbys where it would actually work, then I would be more than happy to make the change.  However, I'm not sure Internode would be interested at this point.

Thanks Duane - makes sense.

Is there a way to stop the Internode radio music source, or any other for that matter, from appearing?

Similar to the music_order special file, any chance you could code in a music_hidden file (or the likes) containing lists  of sources to hide?

As an example I never use my Ipod, Pandora, Shoutcast etc...

Hmmm, makes sense - I'll add that to the list of things to do to the Control Panel.

I'm optimistic that with Duane in charge, and no marketing people involved, the Chumbys are going to be better than ever. smile

Perfect - that would be great, and hopefully not too difficult to implement.

I'm more than optimistic, as we say down this way "I'm excited!" :-)

13 (edited by servalan 2014-03-09 22:44:03)

PaperClippy wrote:

Is there a way to stop the Internode radio music source, or any other for that matter, from appearing?

Not sure entirely of what you're after... but I just rejigged the order of the music sources. To do same make a copy of /psp/music_order, edit to suit. Copy music_order in place when your chumby boots from a usb stick. e.g. from this post: http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=47577#p47577

Current contents of music order:

directurl
mp3files
pandora
shoutcast
mediafly
iheartradio
nytpodcasts
chumbcast
sleepcast
cbspodcasts
internode
noaa
ipod
slimserver

url_streams has the streams I care about - have also edited that to suit.

e.g.

<streams>
<stream id="0001" url="http://radio1.internode.on.net:8000/165" mimetype="audio/mpeg" name="702 Sydney" />
<stream id="0001" url="http://radio1.internode.on.net:8000/156" mimetype="audio/mpeg" name="Radio National" />
<stream id="0001" url="http://radio1.internode.on.net:8000/155" mimetype="audio/mpeg" name="News Radio" />
<stream id="0001" url="http://shoutmedia.abc.net.au:10438/" mimetype="audio/mpeg" name="News Extra" />
<stream id="0001" url="http://radio1.internode.on.net:8000/2" mimetype="audio/mpeg" name="Radio Paradise" />
</streams>

I don't bother with anything other than those or local mp3 files & they're at the top of the list when I go to music sources.

Returning you OT.

Question on this (and other edits).  Is this something we can mount the filesystem as R/W and then edit the file directly on the Chumby instead of having to use the USB stick?  I'm guessing if we edit the file on the system and a new update comes out we may have to re-edit, but is there a more sinister side-effect I'm not aware of?

You can edit files like that on the Chumby using ssh access.
The wiki explains how. Even I have been able to edit the music_order file, and I know nothing about programming, other than what the wiki told me.

The /psp directory, which contains most of the settings is ext3 R/W - just be sure to "sync" when you've edited something before rebooting to flush the cache.

In the CC, the firmware filesystems are not remountable as R/W, since they're cramfs.

On the C1, I3, C8 and I8, the firmware filesystems are ext3, so they can be remounted as R/W, edited, then reset back to R/O.  They also have /mnt/storage, which is ext3 R/W.  USB dongles are mounted as R/W with whatever filesystem they have.

servalan wrote:

I don't bother with anything other than those or local mp3 files & they're at the top of the list when I go to music sources.

Hey servalan - long time between posts for both of us... :-)

I do the same, push my streams to the top but it would be handy to hide the other streams, if for no other reason than it is "tidier"... (yes I'm like that lol)

PaperClippy wrote:

Hey servalan - long time between posts for both of us... :-)

good to see you both back...

things are heating up again, fun times.