Topic: Chumby Classic stuck at splash screen on power on.

I hope someone can help me revive my Classic Chumby...

Post a recent power-off (ie we lost power to the house, not switched off and not sure if this is relevant) the Chumby doesn't boot properly.

On power on, it starts to boot - the screen lights up, shows the chumby logo and a couple of bubbles (graphics) rise up, there are a couple of sound blips to accompany the bubbles.  At this stage looks 'normal'.

Straight afterwards there is a blue progress bar that zips across the middle of the screen.

All the above takes a couple of secs.  Then it just hangs, with the chumby logo on the screen.

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance...

Re: Chumby Classic stuck at splash screen on power on.

OK, try this - reboot into "special options mode" (ie power up while touching the screen), and hit the "restore factory settings" button.

You'l be asked to reconfigure the network, etc.

If that doesn't work, post back in this thread.

3 (edited by modotro 2013-09-04 00:27:56)

Hi Duane, thanks for your help.

i didnt know about that option.  Closer but no cigar yet.  Now it shows the intro video and then freezes.

do i need to run an update?  Where do i download it from\

Thanks again,

Andy   

Edit with more info:

When I touch screen on restart I get 3 options:  Reboot, Update and Reset.

Reboot goes back to initial issue, Update requires the software to be online or on a USB.  I suspect I need to somehow re-flash with this option.  Reset seems to work in that resets, boots and then shows the CEO intro video.  But if I let the video play it hangs at the end with blank screen.  If I cancel it, gets locked with a 3 option menu (can’t remember the options but can get them if its useful).

i got in this same situation with a Chumby Insignia 8, except it hung before displaying the 3 special options

Only thing that worked for me was loading Zurk's firmware, which is still running.

What you need is firmware put on a usb stick to reflash your unit.

Mine is too hosed for that and I need to somehow boot the usb stick and have it do an automatic firmware upgrade

For your problem, there are instructions around for putting firmware on a usb stick, then do what you did and select update

Yes, this unit sounds like it needs to be reflashed.

Please follow these steps.

That worked!!

Many thanks for your help .  Now off to ebay to try and buy a backup smile

Duane,

Can you address my issue?

My Insignia unit hangs when booting or holding the screen.   At 'Please wait...'

So I successfully flashed it using Zurks offline usb stick software whichj works by BOOTING the usb stick and updates firmware.

So the unit is working.   BUT, if I try to get to the special menu again, it still hangs at 'Please wait...'

So, I need an auto flasher usb image.  One that the Chumby can boot, like Zurks software, but when it is booted, it automatically flashes the unit from the usb stick.  Since I cannot get to the menu on the I8.

modotro wrote:

That worked!!

Many thanks for your help .  Now off to ebay to try and buy a backup smile

Modotro --

I have a Blue/White classic if you are interested.....
Perhaps post reply in "The Market" section.

Thanks,

Brian

Brian, #1 Joan Jett Fan

philhu wrote:

Duane,

Can you address my issue?

My Insignia unit hangs when booting or holding the screen.   At 'Please wait...'

So I successfully flashed it using Zurks offline usb stick software whichj works by BOOTING the usb stick and updates firmware.

So the unit is working.   BUT, if I try to get to the special menu again, it still hangs at 'Please wait...'

So, I need an auto flasher usb image.  One that the Chumby can boot, like Zurks software, but when it is booted, it automatically flashes the unit from the usb stick.  Since I cannot get to the menu on the I8.

Hmmm, I'll have to see if I can track down Ken to see how this might work.

So you can't get into safe mode, and you can't boot normal mode, but you *can* launch with Zurk's dongle?

You might be able to fix this by putting the firmware update on the same dongle as Zurk, then ssh'ing in and running "/usr/chumby/scripts/update_usb.sh", assuming it's still there.

Zurk's firmware doesn't just boot off of a USB stick anymore. It installs itself onto the Chumby, with a file called "payload" or something full of the contents of the former USB dongle. That may be why his device is working.

nathanm wrote:

Zurk's firmware doesn't just boot off of a USB stick anymore. It installs itself onto the Chumby, with a file called "payload" or something full of the contents of the former USB dongle. That may be why his device is working.

Exactly.  The onetime usb boot modified the firmware to run and it runs fine.

Safe mode doesnt work, so however he boots the usb, I assume can have the standard firmware run on it from a boot usb stick