Topic: What's the latest news?

I have been checking the forums every so often to see if there has been any progress regarding a restoration of a widget service. It seems like there is some occasional post regarding possible solutions, but no real news.

Duane, are you able to give any sort of update on the the current state of affairs, any progress that has been made (if any) towards restoring some sort of widget service, or if it seems likely that you'll have to shut down what's left.

I am pulling for you to get this thing figured out. I love my Chumby, and really miss the widgets.

Thanks for keeping the fire burning.

Re: What's the latest news?

Anything?

Anyone?

Sorry - missed this post for some reason.

I am steadily working on the new server - I got quite a bit done over the Labor Day weekend.  Chumby had like four people working ont he server full time, I do it evenings and weekends.

I am also working on a browser-based IDE hosted on a chumby that would be the platform to which I intend to use to deploy any source code for widgets Control Panels etc.

I don't foresee shutting anything down.

Great news Duane!
Thanks for all your hard work. I haven't seen any more about a way to fund this via donations/subscrtiptions but hopefully there are many like me who will financially support the service.

Very good news!  I continue to use my Chumby 8 with Pandora on a daily basis even thought that pesky "Profile not found" message continues to come up.

Great news! With luck, the old service can be back up by 2014.

Excellent news Duane. Thanks so much for all your hard work on this project.

Great news - the Chumby is a favourite around our house and we'd love to see it running again!

Thank you very much for the update, Duane. That is very encouraging news, and I look forward to a restoration of some widgets in the future.

I would also like to echo the above sentiment that some mechanism for donations or a subscription service seems like a reasonable thing for you to do. Another possibility would be to start a KickStarter or Indiegogo campaign to help fund your efforts.

Thanks again!

I'd like to add my thanks as well. If there's anything we can do in the community to help, test, code, document, etc. that will help make reaching your goal easier, let us know, Duane.

Back in May 2013 gordonmd posted a question asking where donations could be sent to support the resurrection of Chumby. I never saw a reply. While I'm on a fixed income and limited budget I am willing to put my money where my mouth is. What can we do to show support for Chumby?

At present, nothing really. Although I suppose keeping your Chumby online and in use helps provide an indication to Duane of the number of likely users of a revived service.
In the past, there has been discussion of donations and Kickstarter funding. You could review that discussion, including some of the reasons why Duane isn't accepting funds now, at
http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=46438#p46438
http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=46416#p46416
http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=45744#p45744

Hi Duane,

Anything new to report since your last update in September? Is there anything that the Chumby loyalists can do to help?

Thanks in advance for any news you can share.

Well, I've started a schedule where I work on the new Chumby service at least a half hour per day, more on weekends, unless I've got some work-related thing interfering with it.

One of the issues with working with the system is the sheer volume of data - if I make a mistake and corrupt the database, it takes about 4 hours to reload it from backup.

To mitigate that, I've created a new scheme and updated the framework.  The original Chumby system was Rails 2, and had a peculiar primary key system.  I've updated to Rails 4, and created a proper primary key, then wrote a bunch of taks to migrate data from the old system to the new system.  This also allowed me to remove a *lot* of scruff, and merge records, and elevate a bunch of unused and inefficient tables. 

Right now, I have the admin console working, and full widget service working for the 3.5" devices.  I still need to add support for the 8" devices (which use a different protocol), and the user-facing system for device and channel management.

I was at about this same stage a few months back with a Rails 3 system on the old schema, but that was increasingly looking like it was not going to be future-proof enough to deploy.

My goal is to get something up by the end of the year.

15 (edited by nathanm 2014-01-09 15:20:24)

That's great. I can't wait for widgets to be back officially.

Amazing dedication Duane, thanks. I felt a little nutty for just buying another C1, but maybe not so much after all.

Thanks for the update Duane.

Sounds like you've made great progress. Looking forward to having some widgets back!

@ nathanm- re your edit: Thank God I don't "get" it. Eat lots of turkey tomorrow. Looks like you could use a good dose of tryptophan. Happy Thanksgiving, anyway.

GREAT NEWS.  I was about to give up my 3 inactive chumbys.

Thanks Duane!

Thanks Duane for all your hard work. It will be Great to have my Chumby's back to full health.

Thanks Again!

Thanks Duane!  Sounds great.  I'm also looking forward to having the widgets back on my Chumby.

Wow.  Very good news.  Keep up the great work.

Great news!

Santa, I want to wake up a new clock on my Chumby.... or a message that there is an update available...

I've been a good boy...