1 (edited by philhu 2013-07-27 06:45:21)

Topic: Broken Insignia Chumby??

I have an Insignia chumby.  Working fine, until today.

Today it says can't get address.  My cable box was down, I rebooted it, but the chumby will not take my passphrase, so I rebooted it.

It waited at activating for a long time, then went into activation mode, go to chumby.com, etc, etc.  Which I know is no longer real.

Rebooted again, now it is staying at 'Please wait'

It is sure acting like it lost internal flash/pref memory.

Anything I can try to fix this guy?

Re: Broken Insignia Chumby??

Bueller?  Bueller?

The fact it started telling me to go to chumby.com and enter the dots etc tells me it lost something.

There must be some way to reset it back to working?

3 (edited by demarks51 2013-07-30 12:45:19)

Don't  know if it will help you but I have cleared the wifi settings and started over. See if it recognizes a wifi station. Then reenter passphrase again. I have also went as far as restarting modem, router then chumby. So anomalies happen from time to time. Hope you get it working.

BTW check to see what firmware you are running.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

Mine doesnt get that far....please wait is on the opening green screen.

If I touch the screen, it says 'Loading special options, please wait' and sits on that

I weant to make a bootable usb that does a firmware load.  I can't seem to find the instructions.  I can see how you can do a usb load from the special optinos screen, but not from booting a usb

Zurks software boots a usb, so I know it can be done.

Anyone point me to the step by step to make a bootable chumby usb that will force a firmware update?

Ok, made progress.

I managed to get Zurks offline image on it by booting the usb with the installation on it.

So now I have an ssh prompt possible.

Special options, load firmware still doesnt work, it hangs

So, can someone point me to one of two possibilities

1)  I need a bootable update.zip usb that will boo the usb and do a firmware upgrade
or
2) A way to load the firmware from a ssh prompt.

Any ideas?

philhu wrote:

Ok, made progress.

I managed to get Zurks offline image on it by booting the usb with the installation on it.

So now I have an ssh prompt possible.

Special options, load firmware still doesnt work, it hangs

So, can someone point me to one of two possibilities

1)  I need a bootable update.zip usb that will boo the usb and do a firmware upgrade
or
2) A way to load the firmware from a ssh prompt.

Any ideas?

You may have to reflash the MicroSD card. To do this, you'll have to disassemble the I3.5. I don't know where the firmware image is, so I'd email Duane to find that. There are directions on reflashing on this forum. The search button's your friend. I think you need a unix-like OS to do this.

I had strange thing happen to me last night. Was playing short movie on my I8 and then tried to reboot and it got hung up at the Loading Control Panel. I restarted several times but no luck. I then unplugged usb and memory card attached and went to special options. It asked me to recalibrate the touch (rather dark screen) and then I chose reboot normally. It took longer than usual but eventually went back to its normal operations. Strange.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

nathanm wrote:

You may have to reflash the MicroSD card. To do this, you'll have to disassemble the I3.5. I don't know where the firmware image is, so I'd email Duane to find that. There are directions on reflashing on this forum. The search button's your friend. I think you need a unix-like OS to do this.

Well, first, it is a Infocast 8, not 3.5

Reading instructions to undo Zurk's is to make a USB with update.zip on it, go into special options, load firmware from usb

The Special Options hangs for me and I know I saw a boot disk to do firmware updates a few years back.   I also saw instructions a year or so back to do the firmware upgrade manually from a command prompt.

Well, if I can't figure it out, I can have this infocast keep running Zurk v27.  I even got it to do 'Space Clock'  smile   And the web interface, though a bit crude, works pretty well.

I have 2 other Chumby 8 units running from the stub server.