Topic: A Market forum to sell gadgets other than Chumby related

I am just curious how many people in the forum would like another Market area to sell other items not related to Chumby.

I have a few items that I know would interest some of the people who frequent these forums.

Raise your hands and see how many people agree or disagree.

Re: A Market forum to sell gadgets other than Chumby related

I really don't think this place has much traffic or many visitors anymore.  If you want to sell something I don't know how many visitors there are now.  Maybe one of the admins knows from some stats.

3 (edited by bobsz 2013-06-27 23:44:10)

Re: A Market forum to sell gadgets other than Chumby related

I think it would be interesting. Seems like Chumby folks are not mainstream and might have some cool stuff around. Tonight I was browsing the Web for old Palm devices. I bet a lot of folks might have things like that, old PDAs or vintage mp3 players or whatever. Interesting to hear about, even if not something you would buy. Seems like the forum has a number of lurkers who might step up for something like that.

I'd really love to hear some recent stats about the Chumby world, too. What are all those Chumby owners doing with their Chumbys? They're certainly not flooding ebay for a pittance as some predicted. And it looks like only about 100 people are downloading zurk's updates recently.

So yes I vote for expanding our market. Palm Pixis are going so cheap, maybe Blue Octy could turn them into mini-Chumbys.

4 (edited by nathanm 2013-06-28 03:14:09)

Re: A Market forum to sell gadgets other than Chumby related

bobsz wrote:

Palm Pixis are going so cheap, maybe Blue Octy could turn them into mini-Chumbys.

The problem with that is the cert issue. All new Pixis and old ones without the update will be unusable without hackery. Also, Pixis can't use Wi-Fi, only Sprint 3G. It is a good idea though, so maybe it would work better on another device.

Re: A Market forum to sell gadgets other than Chumby related

It's possible to bypass that activation system -- there was a .jar file that would "root" the webOS 1.4.x devices from the "re-frash" mode, then you can sideload IPK files.

I agree that the Sprint Pixis are pretty useless, but a AT&T or Verizon Pixi Plus with Wifi can be a usefully hacked device.

Re: A Market forum to sell gadgets other than Chumby related

unwiredben wrote:

It's possible to bypass that activation system -- there was a .jar file that would "root" the webOS 1.4.x devices from the "re-frash" mode, then you can sideload IPK files.

I agree that the Sprint Pixis are pretty useless, but a AT&T or Verizon Pixi Plus with Wifi can be a usefully hacked device.

The thing is, the Pixis are kind of far away ports-wise. The most likely device for a Chumby port is the Raspberry Pi, as both are ARM devices that are easily hackable and run Linux. I could see me hooking up one to one of those car monitors (See here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-4-3-TFT-LCD … 53f3e1a1fe and using it like I use my Chumby. However, this is just a pipe dream and would need major work. I do agree that us Chumborgs (Good description of Chumby users?) have some odd stuff lying around. Coincidentally, I pulled out my Sony Clie (Running Palm OS) a few days ago, but the batteries had leaked and the negative terminal fell off due to corrosion. Wasn't too happy about that.

Re: A Market forum to sell gadgets other than Chumby related

nathanm wrote:
unwiredben wrote:

It's possible to bypass that activation system -- there was a .jar file that would "root" the webOS 1.4.x devices from the "re-frash" mode, then you can sideload IPK files.

I agree that the Sprint Pixis are pretty useless, but a AT&T or Verizon Pixi Plus with Wifi can be a usefully hacked device.

The thing is, the Pixis are kind of far away ports-wise. The most likely device for a Chumby port is the Raspberry Pi, as both are ARM devices that are easily hackable and run Linux. I could see me hooking up one to one of those car monitors (See here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-4-3-TFT-LCD … 53f3e1a1fe and using it like I use my Chumby. However, this is just a pipe dream and would need major work. I do agree that us Chumborgs (Good description of Chumby users?) have some odd stuff lying around. Coincidentally, I pulled out my Sony Clie (Running Palm OS) a few days ago, but the batteries had leaked and the negative terminal fell off due to corrosion. Wasn't too happy about that.

I actually have one of the 4.3" monitors and a Raspberry Pi (along with a LOT of other stuff) lying around. I played with the Raspberry Pi a bit when I first got it but honestly I really didn't need it for anything. It now sits and waits for a time I may have a use for it.

As for the "Chumborg" name, it may fit me better than some as I have a fair amount of titanium as part of me.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

8 (edited by bobsz 2013-06-29 23:13:18)

Re: A Market forum to sell gadgets other than Chumby related

Chumborg, yes. Resistance is futile. (Might make us sound a iittle heavy-handed though, when the opposite is true.)

What a lovely little rambling topic this has turned into. Seems like we're "brainstorming" though we're not sure what the question is.

Agree with the limitations of the Pixi. It's just such a nice little piece of cheap orphaned hardware. BTW, I read they can get Palm-activated by sticking in an ATT Gophone SIM with any data allowance on it. I actually have a couple of these so I'm curious to try. I noticed the Palm Pre is also selling just as cheap.

@nathanm, I grieve for your Clie. Was yours a little hand-held one, or the one with a keyboard? I've always wanted to play with a Palm OS so these phones may be as close as I'll ever get.

Soon to come, I'll eulogize my BlackBerry Playbook, just orphaned by BB yesterday. I love the thing, hope prices plummet so I can buy another one with more RAM than my 16 gb.

Re: A Market forum to sell gadgets other than Chumby related

bobsz wrote:

Chumborg, yes. Resistance is futile. (Might make us sound a iittle heavy-handed though, when the opposite is true.)

What a lovely little rambling topic this has turned into. Seems like we're "brainstorming" though we're not sure what the question is.

Agree with the limitations of the Pixi. It's just such a nice little piece of cheap orphaned hardware. BTW, I read they can get Palm-activated by sticking in an ATT Gophone SIM with any data allowance on it. I actually have a couple of these so I'm curious to try. I noticed the Palm Pre is also selling just as cheap.

@nathanm, I grieve for your Clie. Was yours a little hand-held one, or the one with a keyboard? I've always wanted to play with a Palm OS so these phones may be as close as I'll ever get.

Soon to come, I'll eulogize my BlackBerry Playbook, just orphaned by BB yesterday. I love the thing, hope prices plummet so I can buy another one with more RAM than my 16 gb.

Don't mourn the Playbook too much. It will continue to do what it has been doing for a long time. I have pressed my Playbook into service as an internet radio and restroom reader. ;-)   Not too worried about security updates. Not enough Playbooks out there for someone to spend the time to write a virus for one. Besides, I really have nothing "personal" on it.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Re: A Market forum to sell gadgets other than Chumby related

Bobsz- My Clie was a slab. The model number is PEG-SL10. What I want to know is why you don't have any Palm OS device if you want one. If you have a disposable enough income to get a Chumby, then you can affort the $10 you have to pay for a Palm III on eBay. Of course, it's fun to get software, as every other link is dead (Curse you, link rot!).

Re: A Market forum to sell gadgets other than Chumby related

nathanm wrote:

What I want to know is why you don't have any Palm OS device if you want one. If you have a disposable enough income to get a Chumby, then you can affort the $10 you have to pay for a Palm III on eBay.

Sometimes it's just inertia, rather than cost, that stands between us and the consumer goods of our dreams.
I spent years vaguely hankering for a sticky tape dispenser, one of the larger, heavier ones such as are found in offices. The lack of it was hardly ruining my life, but come Christmas and birthday present-wrapping time, once again I would say to myself "Oh, how I wish I had a sticky tape dispenser!" However, I just never thought about it at a time when I was in the vicinity of a shop selling them, and I didn't want one badly enough to make a special trip.
Eventually, I got one. It cost $6.

Re: A Market forum to sell gadgets other than Chumby related

I've got a cool M500 that I don't need anymore with all the trimmings. The shipping may cost a lot unless I could get it all in a Flat Rate envelope instead of the box and that would only cost $5.05. I was thinking about selling it on eBay but for the fellow Chumbyite I would take a best offer plus actual shipping costs. It is a Covey version of the Palm M500 with all the accessories.

Owner of 7 Chumby type units. 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8, 2 Info 3.5, and 1 C1.

Re: A Market forum to sell gadgets other than Chumby related

The only old tech I have that I would consider getting rid of are a few 35mm cameras.

The electronic devices I have a hard time letting go (yes, it is an illness). ;-)

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Re: A Market forum to sell gadgets other than Chumby related

One of the oldest of the 'techy" things I have (I think I still have it in some condition) is a Parrott. It was sort of a audio PDA that  saved phone numbers. You could speak the name of the person and then hold it up to the phone and it would dial the number for you. It was made by a French company that I think is still in business but are making other products (of course).

Owner of 7 Chumby type units. 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8, 2 Info 3.5, and 1 C1.

Re: A Market forum to sell gadgets other than Chumby related

I have a few Audrey devices.

I used to use them to get ssh windows around my house before smartphones/ipads.

Not a bad little unit from 2000 or so

http://www.pcworld.com/article/32007/article.html

Re: A Market forum to sell gadgets other than Chumby related

philhu wrote:

I have a few Audrey devices.

I used to use them to get ssh windows around my house before smartphones/ipads.

Not a bad little unit from 2000 or so

http://www.pcworld.com/article/32007/article.html

Can't you put QNX on those? I was thinking of getting one before hearing about the Chumby.

Re: A Market forum to sell gadgets other than Chumby related

I had never heard of the Audrey. Interesting little device.

http://www.lorenzen.us/peter/audrey/aud_kb_styl.jpg

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.