Topic: 9Volt battery connector

I have a 9volt battery plug (two rounded connectors) but was wondering if the plug to the board was the same as a cordless phone battery. Just wanted to see if I already had the parts. My CC is missing the 9v battery connector because the unit I acquire from someone had connected a larger battery backup between the power supply and the power intake. It seems the larger backup has lost its ability last longer than about 5 min. BTW if I wanted to obtain an alternate battery backup what would I need? I would only need it if I was transporting it or in case of a power outage. The 9v battery only seems to last about 30 minutes max on my other CC.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

Re: 9Volt battery connector

CC supports a wide range of voltages. drop a lithium in and it should work fine.

From my experience with cordless phone batteries, they have a range of plugs that look roughly similar but are actually all a bit different. There isn't a standard plug, as such.
How badly do you want battery backup? Without a battery, the CC will still hold its settings (alarms, brightness) for at least a little while if the mains power goes off (actually, now I think about it, maybe for an hour or two - we had a blackout here on Wednesday morning and I don't think I had to redo the alarms on the Chumbys). In any event, it is certainly sufficient for moving from room to room.
I took the 9 volt battery out of my Chumby because I became concerned that since I never called upon it to do anything, I would never notice when it became flat and eventually it might leak and damage the Chumby.

I found a cordless battery plug and spliced it to the 9v plugs and it didn't work. It is a fresh 9v but it failed. The cordless phone battery plug did slide nicely into the battery connection on the board.  Well, no big deal. I was just tinkering so unless someone has another idea I am through with that experiment for the time being. I actually took the 9v out of my other CC because it didn't really last very long and like you I think the battery could leak which is a greater concern than losing memory. The battery backup that was with this customized unit was rather interesting even though it did not last as long as the 9v. I may open up this puppy (backup battery pack) and see what is inside. I don't even know what to look for to replace it. I think I have heard people doing something for backup batteries other than 9v but I can't remember what.

ER PHOTO Battery backup
Yes that is what I have for this customized CC. The batteries are about dried up inside so I need some help with how to rejuvenate this battery backup. There are three batteries connected together about twice the size of AA's. They are soldered to the little circuit board. Any chance of fixing this thing?

6 (edited by unwiredben 2013-05-02 07:52:55)

Are you sure those aren't capacitors?  Given the vintage of the Chumby Classic, I wouldn't be surprised if they were affected by the electrolytic capacitor plague (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague).

7 (edited by bobsz 2013-05-01 22:58:24)

@unwiredben- you got me curious, interesting point I'd never heard about, but just FYI your link had a typo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Yeah, the typo was the automatic linkifier pullin in the closing parenthesis.  I fixed it in my reply too.

9 (edited by demarks51 2013-05-02 13:32:32)

I could be wrong but look at the second picture on this page: http://blog.makezine.com/2008/01/07/how … humby-wit/
On mine the connectors are soldered to the board. I wish I could just replace the batteries.

Also I do not know how to "drop in a lithium" (meaning a lithium battery). The internal battery connection doesn't seem to work anymore which seems to be a problem with some CC's.

unwiredben wrote:

Are you sure those aren't capacitors?  Given the vintage of the Chumby Classic, I wouldn't be surprised if they were affected by the electrolytic capacitor plague (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague).

A very interesting article, and one that explains the premature failure of everybody's Chumby One power supply.

demarks51 wrote:

ER PHOTO Battery backup
Yes that is what I have for this customized CC. The batteries are about dried up inside so I need some help with how to rejuvenate this battery backup. There are three batteries connected together about twice the size of AA's. They are soldered to the little circuit board. Any chance of fixing this thing?

You seem to have found all the necessary information yourself.
From the links you have provided, it seems clear that the batteries inside the ER are 1800mAh Lithium batteries. You could buy three more of these to replace the old ones. If you are not comfortable soldering batteries, then it may not be impossible to carefully cut the old ones out and wedge the new ones in without soldering.
Or, since you have now identified that the battery pack is a proprietary device, and not something that someone has knocked together in their back shed, you could buy another one. The one you have may well have its exact model number printed on it somewhere.

The only price I have seen is $69.99 I think. Don't need it that much. These batteries are twice the length of AA Batteries. What would I even look for? I think I am willing to take a stab at soldering the batteries in IF I can find the right ones.

The picture here looks like there is some sort of product code number printed on the batteries. The bit I can read from the photo is the bit we already know: 1800mah. However, since you have the actual batteries in front of you, then you ought to be able to read the other bit.
Google it and see what you get. It may well turn out that three of those batteries costs close to $69.99 anyway, or that the only supplier you can find is some Chinese factory that wants you to buy a minimum of 10,000 of them, but you'll never know until you look...