Topic: Which Chumby do you have?

Sharkbyte, my Chumby, has been a constant bedside companion for almost 7 years. He is a 1st generation in tan.

Re: Which Chumby do you have?

Two I8's and two I3.5's.
I8 in the living room where My chair is.
One I3.5 by my bed (alarm)  and one I8 in the window on my wife's side of the bed.
One I3.5 next to my treadmill. I have that one connected to a stereo system so I turn up the internet radio loud.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

My office desk has my Chumby One (hacked to run Atari 2600 games if booted with a USB XBox controller installed), my newborn's nursery is rocking the Chumby 8 (with a SD card with white noise for calming him during fussy times), and I've got a I8 and two I3.5's in storage for projects.  In the living room sits a Sony Dash, used mainly for time keeping and weather prediction.  I had a Classic, but it was lent to NYC Resistor a few years ago for use a the door chime and music streaming device, then sold to a member there when they got a I8.  I've also got a Sony Tablet S docked here that never was able to authenticate using the "Chumby for Sony Tablet S" app, but works fine with the stub server.

4 (edited by lucaliuto 2013-03-08 11:51:00)

In 2008 a friend came from San Diego to Torino (Italy) and brought me a Chumby Classic Latte. I kept it on my desk for two years, then unfortunately had to shut down the office (was a beautiful old loft). The Chumby stayed inactive in a drawer until last week, when I resurrected it after my move to a new flat. I think I'll buy an Chumby 8, just to have a second one.

I have a black Classic in the living room, next to the TV; a white Classic in the study and a C1 next to the bed as an alarm clock. I'd like a C8, but I'm running out of rooms to put Chumbys in.

This thread made me realize that I have a Chumby hoarding problem...

I have 3 black Chumby Classics: 1 in storage, 1 in my "tinker drawer", and this one on my night stand: http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=4846

I have 2 C1s: 1 in the garage and 1 in the "tinker drawer".

I have 5 I8s: 1 at work running my "iss" weekend project: https://github.com/Materdaddy/iss with some scripts to auto-sync from a share at home, 1 at my mom's running the same slideshow syncing from the same share, 1 is going at the in-laws with the same functionality, and 1 on our master bedroom dresser.  That leaves 2 more.  1 is for dev work at the computer, the other runs Qt/Webkit with a webpage for weather, calendar, and home automation.  It runs my sprinklers with plans to have it control my home security system, and maybe lighting and other automation when I find time.

I have 3 i3.5s: 1 in storage, 1 in the "tinker drawer", and 1 on my desk at work.  This was the one the only one really using the Chumby services that is now sitting on the "space clock".

I also have 2 prototype Chumbies in the garage.  Somebody on the forums posted a while back that they might hit a dumpster, I sent him money for shipping and got them.  I haven't really done anything with these.  I probably will keep them for prosperity, but they require a different toolchain so they might be too much work to hack on.  I think they even use a 2.4 kernel which I'm not as comfortable with.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

7 (edited by carldc 2013-03-08 15:39:19)

Chumby 1 by the bedside.
Blue/White Chumby Classic in the office.
Original Black Chumby Classic in retirement (though it briefly came out recently when C1 power failed).
Two other original blacks in retirement somewhere around the house.
(Here's the original black one in the office where my blue/white classic currently resides: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid … =500%2C376)

I've got 2 Chumby-1s that I got from woot 2 years ago.  However I really couldn't ever get them to do what I wanted.  So 1 chumby is still in the box and the other is acting as a glorified clock in my basement.

I have a CC in Latte in the office and a CC in (classic) Black in the sunroom.  My alarm clock in the bedroom is a CO.

2 x I3.5
One is a mainly a bedside clock
One streams pics and news in the foyer/entryway to the house

Materdaddy wrote:

This thread made me realize that I have a Chumby hoarding problem...
I have 3 black Chumby Classics:
I have 2 C1s: 1 in the garage and 1 in the "tinker drawer".
I have 5 I8s: 1
I have 3 i3.5s:
I also have 2 prototype Chumbies

I think you should petition doktor joines for a 'chumaholic' tag wink and i thought I was bad with my 2 ones, 2 8's and i8 wink

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

I'm new to the whole Chumby thing, so I only have an I3.5 since it was the cheapest Chumby on eBay.

1 classic chumby,  asleep right now
1 C1, at work for radio, etc
1 C8, computer room
1 I8, impersonating a C8, Bedroom alarm clock

Best part, is the Space clock is what I was always running, so except for the 1 minute every 20 of weather, nothing changed for me  smile

5 CC, one of them not used yet.

I have a red C8 that I got on Ebay. I was going to get a different, cheaper one, but as soon as I bid, the item was removed... hmm

Hello -

Just like this guy I got a Chumby One in the mid-2011 timeframe :

Chumby offers opportunity for home engineering
http://www.edn.com/design/consumer/4368 … ngineering
By David Blaza, Vice President, UBM Electronics - August 4, 2011
Like the other four Chumby devices, the $49 Chumby One connects to a Wi-fi network to run flash-based applications for weather, news, Twitter, Facebook, webcams, and photos.
Mostly out of curiosity and an interest in how open source Internet appliances are working these days, I purchased a Chumby One for $49 from Woot (list is $129, but most sell for $50 to $70).  There are now five Chumby devices of various sizes, including the Sony Dash, which all connect to a Wi-fi network to run flash based applications for weather, news, Twitter, Facebook, webcams, and photos.

cfg83

Office: Chumby 8 that I loved as a way to take a break from the "coding zone" I'm often in. Now as a clock it reminds me how long some things take as the day rolls relentlessly onward.

Home: Bedroom Beanbag Chumby still functions with about a dozen separate wake-up alarms for our many different daily "up times."

--Marc

Marc Silverman
New York City
SilverMarc.com | Chumbian.com
MY POWER TEAM: Macintosh, iPhone, Chumby, Geocaching, WheresGeorge.

Just bought a CC latte for $17.99 delivered on ebay. As if I really needed it! I actually own a real chumby now though.

Hi!! I have a brown classic in my bed room, next to the TV and i love my Chumby!!
I wish i could also place a new one in my living area!! smile smile

MODERATOR NOTE: This type of advertising is not permitted. The URL has been removed.

BoloMKXXVIII

kelvinrampton wrote:

Hi!! I have a brown classic in my bed room, next to the TV and i love my Chumby!!
I wish i could also place a new one in my living area!! smile smile

Thanks for that, but did you know that the forum rules you read before registering say you can't advertise for anything, or provide a link to a site that isn't related to the topic? If I were you, I'd remove that link.

Hello.  I am a new owner.  I came to the party very late.  I just got a used Chumby One a few days ago.  Learned alot since I have a problem with the updating process and doing a factory reset (see my other post).  I want to get it back to stock so I can see what I else I can do with it.  So far I am using it as rss reader, clock, and radio.

Chumby One still my office companion.  Was offline for 2 months, so missed all the excitement of the Chumby suspended animation thing.

demarks51 wrote:

Two I8's and two I3.5's.
One I3.5 by my bed (alarm)  and one I8 in the window on my wife's side of the bed.
One I3.5 next to my treadmill. I have that one connected to a stereo system so I turn up the internet radio loud.

Add two more:
Chumby Classic Latte sitting near "my" spot in the living room.
Customized Classic in a wooden box is on its way to my house. I'm not sure where that is going.

demarks51 wrote:
demarks51 wrote:

Two I8's and two I3.5's.

Add two more:
Chumby Classic Latte sitting near "my" spot in the living room.
Customized Classic in a wooden box is on its way to my house. I'm not sure where that is going.

Um... Does that mean you have NINE Chumbys? Demarks51, you're beginning to be a Chumby hoarder.

I might have worded my post in a way that gave a wrong impression. First sentence is a general sentence and then I added the explanations.
I HAD 4 chumbys and have added two more which brings my count to 6.
I added where they were being used which may have given the impression they were separate units. Sorry for the confusion. I think I am still under my allotted amount to still be considered NOT a hoarder. BUT I have been looking at a very fine, little used CC in red on eBay.
BTW is there anything different between a I3.5 and a C1 other than Info green start up? I would like to get a C1 just to see it work. Well, come to think of it I don't really have a C8 either. One of my I8s just thinks it is.

"I am a chumbyaholic. I am powerless to resist buying just one more...."