Topic: Boot loop after attempt to use Zurk firmware

I have a Chumby 1 stuck in a boot loop. I was just acquainting myself with the new stub service (good work!) and decided to try the Zurk firmware. I prepared a USB stick, inserted it, rebooted, and it came up was a computer voice announcing it was the Zurk online firmware. So far, so good. Then I followed the prompts to calibrate the screen. Then I was prompted to choose a wi-fi source, and realized I was going to have to move the Chumby to another part of the house so I could manually copy over the wi-fi key. I unplugged it, plugged it in again, and discovered that it was now stuck in a loop showing first two circles, then a whole screen of circles, then repeat. It does this with or without the USB stick plugged into it.

I would be quite happy with the default firmware and the stub service, but we see where curiosity got me. Obviously, my question now is: How do I recover?

Thanks,

David

Re: Boot loop after attempt to use Zurk firmware

Swell -- now, after sitting unplugged for a while, the screen flashes briefly when I plug it in, and then nothing else happens.

The symptoms sound like this problem, however the timing seems awfully coincidental.

Duane wrote:

The symptoms sound like this problem, however the timing seems awfully coincidental.

OK, I will begin troubleshooting.Thanks for giving me a starting point.

-- David

Indeed it was a power supply problem -- it works fine with another 5 V supply. I can't account for why this showed up all of a sudden, but it might have had to do with an intermittent short in the power cable.  Whatever the reason, the old power supply looked OK on a multimeter, but failed under load.

Thanks, Duane!

-- David