Topic: Widget Repository?

Is there (or could there be) a way for us to download the widgets so we can simply use them on our own? I really would rather have the flexibility to use the widgets I did have than rely on a service that may or may not be available in the unforeseen future. As a side note, I love (loved) the service and I'm sad to see it come to this point.

-cor-

Re: Widget Repository?

This has been discussed elsewhere on the forum - it's really a licensing issue with the widget authors.

It's better to expend the effort to rebuild the consistent with the terms under which the authors uploaded their widgets.

Just out of curiosity what is (was) the policy/licensing concerning widgets uploaded by developers. I assume there was some kind of license agreement that detailed developers' rights and chumby inc's rights pertaining to usage of widgets provided by outside developers. On a similar note, considering there seems to be some kind of "gray area" regarding licensing and third party widgets and availability of these third party widgets, is it possible for you to (and/or would you be willing to) provide the community with the chumby inc-created widgets?

-cor-

I might be able to release a subset of the Chumby widgets, at least those that don't rely on services that I'm not currently providing, or that are related to content deals.  It's really about budgeting time and resources.

I don't consider the area "gray" at all - in my mind, widgets belong entirely to their authors, and they currently have the right to revoke them, which they could not do if they're downloaded.

As mentioned elsewhere, in the replacement service, I will allow a way for authors to expand those rights so this type of problem does not happen in the future, and any "grayness" will be explicitly cleared up.

Cool. Thanks for your commitment to the users, Duane. Others would have just bailed where you have persisted.

-cor-

6 (edited by scruffy1 2013-02-21 18:50:27)

so octopus is essentially now just a marine mollusc ?

i guess they gave up on shells aeons ago  tongue

Duane wrote:

I might be able to release a subset of the Chumby widgets, at least those that don't rely on services that I'm not currently providing, or that are related to content deals.  It's really about budgeting time and resources.

I appreciate the limitations you are working with and have admiration for what you have accomplished.

Duane wrote:

I don't consider the area "gray" at all - in my mind, widgets belong entirely to their authors, and they currently have the right to revoke them, which they could not do if they're downloaded.

Would it be possible to email all the widget authors and ask them to upload the source code for widgets to a location (e.g. sourceforge?) to preserve them. If emailing the owners is an issue, I have an email program that will email individual letters based on an excel spreadsheet or database. I would be happy to work with you on this.

Duane wrote:

As mentioned elsewhere, in the replacement service, I will allow a way for authors to expand those rights so this type of problem does not happen in the future, and any "grayness" will be explicitly cleared up.

The maturity with which you are approaching this, gives me confidence for the future. While I'm hopeful that something approaching the original version would be restored, I also want the reassurance of a backup plan.

Duane wrote:

...widgets belong entirely to their authors, and they currently have the right to revoke them, which they could not do if they're downloaded.

That was the case for Chumby widgets in the past but IMHO authors do not have that rights in general. While they have the rights to no longer offer a software for download they do not have the rights to remove them from the devices. I am the owner of the device as I bought it. The only one who has the rights to control it is me :-)

Duane, thanks for your commitment to keep Chumby alive, it's highly appreciated!

This is not an iPhone or eBook reader - the widgets are not "download and saved" on the device in the sense you're probably used to.  They are "streamed", and at best cached for technical efficiency only.  They are not "removed from the device" since they're not really there.  The caching behavior does not change the author's ownership rights.

Until 2012, there were only cached in RAM - they went away when you turned off the device.

The author's rights under "black-letter" copyright law mean that they own them outright and any additional rights granted must be explicit - and they have not granted the rights for you to keep them, only licensed them for use under the TOS.

Again, I will change it so there are other options for authors to choose if they wish.

10 (edited by RexDart 2013-02-23 09:42:56)

I downloaded a dozen of them off the chumby site itself when it was up.  Never saw anything to suggest it wasn't allowed.
I have them loaded as active wallpapers in Windows...

I think we have to distinguish between the rights Chumby Industries got from the authors and the rights an individual user got. You have a very good insight to the first one, I fully agree that you need to make sure to be on the legally safe side before you offer anything for download.

The situation is different for the individual user who made a backup for personal use of the widgets for the possible event that Chumby industries went down forever. You wrote that the authors have not granted the rights for me to keep them and only licensed them for use under the TOS. However, the widgets were freely available for download, without requiring a login and agreeing to any TOS. Making a backup to avoid damage of a system is also a good reason and legal in some countries.

Anyway, I am not interested to start a legal discussion, your and my time is to valuable for that :-)

I'd be interested in working with building an open source widget repository. PM me if any of you would be interested.

13 (edited by bobsz 2013-04-23 22:52:41)

@brendan, [del]this is like students stealing a thesis and saying it's their own, or passing it on to others. Taking people's widgets isn't an obscure legal point, it's just not an ethical thing to do. Hope you don’t stray down that path. Stay here and help keep Chumby as a community effort.[/del]

EDIT- the above was a dumb post by me. Sorry, see below.

bobsz wrote:

@brendan, this is like students stealing a thesis and saying it's their own, or passing it on to others. Taking people's widgets isn't an obscure legal point, it's just not an ethical thing to do. Hope you don’t stray down that path. Stay here and help keep Chumby as a community effort.

I think you're reading his post incorrectly.  I don't think brendan said he was going to start hosting widgets without anybody's permission, just that he'd work on a new way of hosting/managing them...???

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

@Materdaddy- guess I read too much into it because of the earlier comments on the thread... I just read some of his other posts and looks like you're completely right. Looks like he's really offering some nice help. Thanks for keeping me in line!

My apologies, brendan, and thanks for offering to pitch in.

brendan wrote:

I'd be interested in working with building an open source widget repository. PM me if any of you would be interested.

The idea isn't bad because currently all FOSS widgets where the source code is available are spread around the internet. A central location would be a good idea but it stands and falls with the acceptance of the majorityof the developers.

@bobsz - I wouldn't want to infringe upon any developers copyright. I myself prefer things to be open source, but I do understand why some don't license as such. smile

@1ras - Exactly. I would love to have 1 large repo. We just need to get developers to contribute.

If anyone is willing to help work on this project I am more than willing to donate the server. I have a couple servers sitting in data-centers that could handle this very easily. I am also pretty good with code and could build a custom repository system. Let me know what if you want to get involved or donate any widgets/code you want hosted.

your widget repository has been available for some time on piratebay (search for chumby). However i think its unethical if not illegal to just pull the entire thing down and start using it.
it would be nmice if someone were to make something like the existing one made of only FOSS widgets however. but there are very few FOSS widgets since chumby took down their own widget hosting site (gforge.chumby.com).

delaney99 wrote:

your widget repository has been available for some time on piratebay (search for chumby).

What do you mean "your widget repository"?  The piratebay widget repository is one of illegal copies. @brendan is wanting to set up a repository that does not infringe anyone's intellectual property rights (or at least that's how I understand his plans).

delaney99 wrote:

it would be nmice if someone were to make something like the existing one made of only FOSS widgets however.

And that's what he's trying to do.

@chum - Exactly. I want to get a legal repository up, none of that illegal repo.

Brendan: If you could get some widgets up (maybe just Chumby Industries' and dmaxwell's (Duane's developer Chumby account), as that has a good selection and are legally owned by Duane, negating legal rights entirely) and Duane could give you his front end software for editing channels and the database, but the music sources needing a SDK key being cut out, I could see myself switching over to that. Of course, when Duane does relaunch the edited and streamlined Chumby service, maybe him and you could work out a deal where widgets are cached on his server, and the full database and widgets are on AWS. That way, if either server goes down, at least people who don't reboot still have their widgets.

I'm up for that! If anyone has any widgets they would like me to start hosting you can post it on this page -> http://www.brendancarlson.me/index.php/ … submission

I suggest that using github, sourceforge or google code or another well known repository of open source projects would promote sharing.

Some consideration would need to be given to structure for the project, but simply gathering the widgets is a great idea.

@mathew - Agreed, it's just cheaper/easier to put it on a dedicated server for now. We would have to figure out how to fund it going on to some other system. Github would be great, but I don't know if you can host a file on it and be able to use it properly with the chumby system. It would have to be more like a mirror to work. Any ideas?