Re: Offline firmware documentation info depository

Zurk,

Perhaps you could place a link on your page to this manual?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/chumby … F/download

Thanks

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

download the latest offline firmware and look in the docs directory under ChumbyWidgetGuide.pdf

zurk wrote:

download the latest offline firmware and look in the docs directory under ChumbyWidgetGuide.pdf

Thanks. I am still running v10. I will re-download when I get a chance.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

As I wrote yesterday, here's the utility I created for downloading widgets and tweaking the profiles file
It can be downloaded from
http://beta.fpalab.com/chumby_offlinepr … rofile.zip

Just unpack the archive in an empty directory, read the readme.txt file, get the command line, cd to that directory and run
java offlineprofile profile_file
or
java offlineprofile "profile_url"
(notice the double quotes!!)

Further details are in the readme.txt file.
Two warnings though.
First this has not been extensively checked, so errors and problems might occur during the conversion.
BTW I only tested this on my own European Chumby One.

Second the instructions are suited for v11 of the offline firmware. I think in the newest version the position of profiles has changed.

Feel free to give any feedback.

30 (edited by zurk 2012-05-09 12:00:49)

profile format and position has also changed in v15. mainly to accommodate new architecture in v12 and multiple channel profiles in v15.

nice going BTW. i thought about doing something like this with a GUI to drag and drop widgets but couldnt be bothered once i figured out it was easy enough to download every widget and just dump xml into a text editor. look at octopus if you want to just dump every widget and then copy the files over instead of http connections.

i'd also package whatever sax/dom libs youre using with it and expand it for chumby 8's which are close enough.

Updated the offlineprofile converter to be compatible with v15, though for one profile only. In the coming days, maybe tomorrow, I will add the multiple profiles feature.

Download from here:

I've put up a new version of my converter, this time it supports multiple profiles for a chumby one.
Those who are having trouble moving a profile to the offline fw may give it a try.

Download from here:

Use it to process profiles defined and stored on the chumby.com site and it will generate the profile0, profile1, etc. files. And download all the widgets, as before. (Follow instructions in the readme file).

@Zurk
The idea of creating a gui crossed my mind also, but I feel that it would require interest in the chumby community to start it. 

Concerning the Sax/Dom libraries, this is stock java 6 which already includes them, I believe.

As far as the Chumby 8, I would need an original profile to test the conversion, if anyone can provide me one.

33 (edited by bobsz 2012-05-20 19:52:42)

@francesco- I used your converter to download a channel. It seems to have downloaded all the components correctly, and I put them in the right places in Zv15. But the Chumby didn't recognize the Channel in the control panel. It just shows the offline-mode and squeezebox. Your converter named the new one profiles4, and kept my name for it, "Basic Widgets." I noticed in the profiles for the standard channels start with:
---------------------------------------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<profile id="0">
  <name>offline-mode</name>
  <description/>
  <user username="offline-user">
    <profiles>
      <profile  unaccepted="0" name="offline-mode" id="0" />
      <profile  unaccepted="0" name="Squeezebox" id="1" />
    </profiles>
  </user>

-------------------------

Where my converted one starts with nothing like that, it had the names of my online channels. I changed my profile to "id=4"

and I changed all the profiles to contain:

-----------------------------
<profile  unaccepted="0" name="Basic Widgets" id="4" />

So now the Control Panel shows "Basic Widgets" but when I switch to it it's black, no thumbnails, apparently can't find the widget files. I guess my "plan" above was completely offbase. But should I have been able to drag the converted stuff into the Chumby and have it show up, or did I miss a step?

I noticed the system from your conversion is different than the standard zurk15. You have parts of the widgets in different folders (thumbnails etc) and said to drag them intact into www. And I noticed the profile addresses seem to reflect those sub-foders in, but could that be conficting somehow with the other channels already on there? I'm going to keep trying variations on these themes, just wanted to make sure there's not some step other than your readme. Thanks.

OR, on the other hand, do you still have the converter version you made for v11 or earlier? I can really live with one good channel.

BTW, if you're still looking for a C8 profile, let me know how I could help you. Would you want an xml file or what?

bobsz wrote:

@francesco- I used your converter to download a channel. It seems to have downloaded all the components correctly, and I put them in the right places in Zv15. But the Chumby didn't recognize the Channel in the control panel. It just shows the offline-mode and squeezebox. Your converter named the new one profiles4, and kept my name for it, "Basic Widgets." I noticed in the profiles for the standard channels start with:
---------------------------------------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<profile id="0">
  <name>offline-mode</name>
  <description/>
  <user username="offline-user">
    <profiles>
    </profiles>
  </user>

-------------------------

Actually that's correct: the converter uses what it finds on chumby server and assumes no local channels already exist. This is something that can be improved.
In your case I assume there might be at least five profiles and you got the the fifth.

bobsz wrote:

Where my converted one starts with nothing like that, it had the names of my online channels. I changed my profile to "id=4"

and I changed all the profiles to contain:

<profile  unaccepted="0" name="Basic Widgets" id="4" />

That's exactly how it should be: the id is used to identify the right profile, in this profile4. I checked that configuration on my own Chumby and it worked fine.

bobsz wrote:

So now the Control Panel shows "Basic Widgets" but when I switch to it it's black, no thumbnails, apparently can't find the widget files. I guess my "plan" above was completely offbase. But should I have been able to drag the converted stuff into the Chumby and have it show up, or did I miss a step?

Now that's the difficult part to get. Maybe the files are not in the expected position.
For instance, on the usb key in the directory
\www\thumbnails\
you should be able to see all the thumbnails and load them into paint (or another image display program).
While widgets should be in
\www\widgets\

bobsz wrote:

I noticed the system from your conversion is different than the standard zurk15. You have parts of the widgets in different folders (thumbnails etc) and said to drag them intact into www. And I noticed the profile addresses seem to reflect those sub-foders in, but could that be conficting somehow with the other channels already on there? I'm going to keep trying variations on these themes, just wanted to make sure there's not some step other than your readme. Thanks.

The idea was to keep things separate from the rest of the offline fw, in order to make it easier to spot errors and inconsistencies. So I made four different folders that would avoid conflicts and be easily removed at any time.
I would suggest to check the first widget and make sure the referenced files (thumbnails, movie at least) do exist. For instance:

<widget id="EB0F16FC-95B3-11DE-B39C-001E681DFAC2">
  <name>Calendar Clock Dark</name>
  <thumbnail contenttype="image/jpeg" href="file:////mnt/usb/www/thumbnails/EB0ED6A6-95B3-11DE-B39C-001E681DFAC2"/>
  <template contenttype="" href="/xml/configs/EB0F16FC-95B3-11DE-B39C-001E681DFAC2"/>
  <movie contenttype="application/x-shockwave-flash" href="file:////mnt/usb/www/widgets/EB101336-95B3-11DE-B39C-001E681DFAC2"/>
</widget>

file  EB0ED6A6-95B3-11DE-B39C-001E681DFAC2 in directory /mnt/usb/www/thumbnail (on the usb key that would be /www/thumbnail)
file EB101336-95B3-11DE-B39C-001E681DFAC2 in directory /mnt/usb/www/widgets (/www/widgets on usb key)
etc.

bobsz wrote:

OR, on the other hand, do you still have the converter version you made for v11 or earlier? I can really live with one good channel.

Actually you can use the same tool, but you have to manually edit the profile section like this:

<profiles>
      <profile  unaccepted="0" name="Basic Widgets" id="0" />
    </profiles>

and rename profiles4 to profiles0.
As I said before, I should improve profile handling and give the option of forcing the profile's id.

bobsz wrote:

BTW, if you're still looking for a C8 profile, let me know how I could help you. Would you want an xml file or what?

I really would need a sample of the "online" profile (xml) with all the references to the chumby servers. It would be really helpful. Thanks.

35 (edited by bobsz 2012-05-21 14:45:19)

Thank you so much. I'll try to cut & paste a C8 profile into a forum mail to you. Took out the user ID, let me know if you need it for something. BTW, don't reply to the email listed on my account- I never look there. If there's a problem w the forum mail, let me know.
----------------------------------
Couldn't figure out how to send the xml- sent as UTF-8 text pasted into mail.

36 (edited by bobsz 2012-05-23 20:43:39)

francesco- I checked zurk's forum, and found out a couple of things I was doing wrong with multi-channels. First, he said channels should be numbered consecutively, not skipping numbers like I did. More important, he said no two widgets can have the same widget ID number, even in different channels. I'd renumbered mine 1, 2, etc rather than the original long numbers, only because that's the way he did it in the old firmware versions. Since I duplicated widgets numbers, they didn't get recognized. I should have just left your stuff alone.

BTW, let me know if need a real c8 xml rather than the text I sent. I realized I can just put it up on the web someplace for you to retrieve,

bosz
I updated the conversion tool. Now it fully supports multiple profiles, included those predefined on the chumby.
Here's how it works (taken from the readme):

- copy the original fw files profiles0 and profiles1 from
  /lighty/html/xml/profiles/  to the tool's directory

- run the converter with the -mp parameter (mp stands for multiple profiles)

java -jar offlineprofile.jar -mp my_downloaded_profile

- then copy back to the /lighty/html/xml/profiles/ the files that have been
  modified, usually profiles0, profiles1, profiles2 (which is the new one).
  Including all thumbnails, widgets, etc as usual

(Commnand line has changed!!)
I tried to keep it as simple as possible. Updating a converted channel or adding a new one works the same way. Just keep all the profilesn files in the converter's directory.

Also it follows the rules of profile naming you have described: when a new profile is created the assigned id is the maximum+1.
And yes you're not supposed to change the widgets names ;-))

Regarding the C8 profiles, I only got what I think is a second message, nothing more. Something must have wrong.
However if you can make a zip file and put it somewhere that would be fine also.
Thanks.