1 (edited by zurk 2012-05-16 21:09:58)

Topic: Zurk's Chumby One Offline Firmware (chumby1/infocast3.5/classic only!)

This is my chumby one/infocast 3.5/chumby classic offline firmware. it does not rely on chumby.com servers at all. You may continue to use network services (e.g. weather) from other sites but all access to chumby.com is blocked.

**NOTE** v10.0 onwards is also compatible with the original Chumby Classic.
Please post any technical questions here : http://sourceforge.net/projects/zurk/forums/forum/12064
I am no longer very active on these forums but other people can help you with simple questions here.

Usage :
1. Download the zip file from here : http://sourceforge.net/projects/zurk/fi … p/download
2. Take a blank USB flash drive and unzip all the files keeping the directory structure intact. make sure the debugchumby file (included in the zip) is on the root directory of the usb disk.
3. Put the usb drive in your chumby and switch it off. then switch it on.
4. you will go through a calibration and network setup routine. Complete the calibration and clock, select SKIP when you reach the network setup.
5. Once the widgets are running be sure to set brightness and alarms. Then reboot once. Thats it! Your chumby should be fully setup with no more chumby.com requirements. You have 6 widgets in the default channel. By editing profile in the www/xml folder of the usb drive with notepad, you can modify the zipcode and location so you get proper weather for your area.  If you want to reset your chumby simply remove the usb flash drive and shut your chumby off completely and back on. done.

You can now deactivate your chumby and delete your chumby.com account! It is completely free!
Let me know if you have any issues. This only works for chumby ones. i will post other firmwares later today for chumby 8 and insignia.

Re: Zurk's Chumby One Offline Firmware (chumby1/infocast3.5/classic only!)

As the Infocast 3.5 is very close to a Chumby One I gave it a go and it works!  Great job!

So the next obvious question then is how does one go about setting up a different set of widgets big_smile

Hi,
its actually easy to get a different set of widgets. but its time consuming.
1. ssh into the chumby (in online mode).
2. stop_control_panel
3. start_control_panel
4. copy the url loaded for your channel into notepad
5. access it directly with a web browser, download the xml file, save it in xml/profiles in my offline firmware.
6. remove any instances of http://*.chumby.com and replace it with file:///xml/www as shown in my original profiles.
7. do a wget http://*.chumby.com and download all the urls you replaced.
8. reboot with my offline firmware inserted. now you have all your widgets.

Hi Zurk,

Major for kudos for these, I was starting to get a little concerned about what would happen to my devices in the event that Chumby (the company) goes belly-up, much as I hope that never happens.  I have downloaded both your files, but not tried running them yet.

I think there's an easier way to find the individual widget URLs than you described in your last message: Go to www.chumby.com and login, then search through the Apps catalogue for each widget you want to download; you want the page that shows the widget actually running in your browser. I'm not sure about other browsers, but Firefox has a Page Info item on the right-button menu that brings up a page about the currently loaded page, and by selecting the "Media" tab on that page I can find the URL for the Flash movie for the widget.  All widgets are downloaded from s3movies.chumby.com so look for the address that starts with that and ends with a long string of hex digits.  If your browser doesn't have  anything like Page Info you could also use View Page Source or similar and look towards the end of that for a JavaScript line that starts with "swfobject.embedSWF".  The first parameter to that JavaScript function is the URL for the widget, which you use with wget to fetch the file.

Thanks again,

- Andrew

5 (edited by servalan 2012-03-04 22:53:07)

I'm not sure if mine is an easier way or if it is even relevant but:

I found all my widgets with coded names in /tmp along with the latest controlpanel.swf - I snaffled a copy of those & popped them into /mnt/usb - changing the names of the widgets to widgetname.swf (the file order was the same as the channel order) & editing /mnt/usb/www/xml/profiles to suit.

I'm using the off-line scripts from Christian in on-line mode. More info in this post:
http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=40848#p40848

I've popped up my 'unshackled chumby' setup for local oz. chumby users. If there is any interest in details on having an on-line chumby (i.e. streaming radio still works ok) which doesn't rely on chumby.com please let me know & I'll post here as well.

NB: I have a chumby classic!

6 (edited by Catze2k2 2012-03-08 15:19:36)

It's working quite well for me, with one exception: I'm missing any sound (alarms, sleepsounds, shoutcasts etc.).
If I remember well, I had this issue on Christians offline version too, that's why I switched back to chumby's servers.
Just rechecked by booting without USB Stick and the sound ist ok again. ...rebooted with USB ...sound missing again.

Edit: Right in the beginning of booting the chumby I have the bubbling sounds and the greeting octopus sound (hope you understand).

7 (edited by zurk 2012-03-08 16:20:07)

your sound is uncalibrated and set to 0.
go to your volume control and change it to min, play something like an mp3, then change it to max.
you should get your sounds back.
fyi same goes for brightness controls. you will likely need to do the same (set to min, set to desired brightness).
once its set (you only have to do this once) its saved on the usb automatically.

ok it was silly to leave it at 0. I have uploaded new firmware with defaults set to 88 volume (around 3/4 of max). I have also put in default night mode brightness and day mode. now it should play alarm / music / fm ok.
I've replaced the files. please re-download v2.0 from the same link.

v3.0
---
sound problem fixed
removed sony and chumby magic keys

10 (edited by carldc 2012-03-10 18:51:20)

Downloading right now. Kudos for your efforts! Will this work on original Chumbys?
Also, can you list the six widgets?

Works like a charm now, thanks for your effort

v4.0
---
misc cleanup.
added offline photo display.

13 (edited by jmcgee 2012-03-12 16:23:35)

I posted over in the other thread because that was url given in your readme. This doesn't appear to work with my classic 3.5" chumby.  Anyway, I tried V4 and still don't appear connected to internet. Least it's not pulling any content (weather for Pitt Meadows, BC for example.)  Maybe I don't understand something, but this is just the v4 file, unzipped to usb, inserted into chumby and rebooted.  I cannot ping the chumby from inside my network.  Doesn't appear it is connecting to wireless router.  Reboot without USB and it connects fine.

14 (edited by zurk 2012-03-12 17:01:45)

i dont have a classic to test against. works fine on chumby1's and infocast 3.5s.
yes just unzipping to usb is all you need to do. i'm assuming the widgets started up fine.

you can modify it to work with your classic.
firstly, i suggest you go to settings and try and connect to your network using the internal control panel settings (with offline firmware usb stick inserted). if that works and it starts pulling data in, then youre ok.
if it doesnt you will need to delete off network_adaptors from /psp. then copy chumby classic files over by sshing into your chumby classic while its connected and scping them to your computer and then copying to usb.
then again try the usb adaptor by rebooting the chumby.

you might also have to replace the control panel swf if it is not compatible with the classic control panel. same procedure as replacing network_adaptors.

if you do get it working zip it up and post it somewhere so classic owners can also use it.

Hi Zurk,

Your zip-files have gone from 2-4MB (v1.0) to ~30MB (v3.0) to ~160MB (v4.0).  That's quite a serious growth, could you maybe drop the /music and /www/photos directories from your public zipfiles in the future?  Thanks...

i normally like one album of public domain music and one set of public domain photos on the device to test with (testing shuffling/volume control/slideshows/different bit rate mp3s etc).
in this case i dumped the full set of scenic photos from us gov public domain photos archive and the mit creative commons licensed concert to test with. i'll try and find smaller sources to replace em in the future to get the FW size down. it should still fit on a 256 Meg USB disk which was what i was going fo anyway.

Where on the chumby is network_adaptors

http://wiki.chumby.com/index.php/Chumby … _and_Tools

v5.0
----
Ad blocking for all ad networks.
Misc tweaks.

this should be the last update for a while i think. my chumby1 works nicely so i see no need for further improvements.

20 (edited by zurk 2012-04-17 15:05:29)

V 6.0
-----
Addition of first non chumby widget (Weather Underground RapidFire)
Addition of nano text editor
Images downscaled for 320 x 340 screen sizes

V7.0
-----
Fix images for correct screen size
Integrate java
Builtin speech engine
Chumby weather api fix for all cities on the planet (See included changelog for how to set this up, it takes approx 1 hour for it to initially populate the weather for your region once you have set it up)

V7.1
-----
minor weather api tweak

V8.0
-----
better weather improvements, scripts and talking clock integration.
all future changelogs will be posted in the firmware under changelog.txt and version number can be shown at this url : https://sourceforge.net/projects/zurk/files/

harmlessgryphon wrote:

What's the biggest memory stick a C1 can handle? 2GG and 4GB sticks can be had for next to nothing these days, but 256MB sticks have all but disappeared - except at the drugstores near me that think they are still worth $19.99...

There are some HP branded devices that are pretty small, and would be very unobtrusive, or even mounted inside if you don't need the wireless capability.

My C1 had no problem reading an 8GB Kingston DT Micro... it's a wonderfully small device, sticks out about 1/4" from the USB port, and it's even a Chumby-ish shade of blue (similar to the bar at the top of the forums here).  I got it for $7.99 with free shipping on Newegg.

man i wish this thing had shipped with on board apps and all from the start.

Quick newbe questions

1. Does this firmware overwrite the old one on the internal mem?

2. Is this a complete rewrite of the os or is it mostly based on the official os build. I ask as I have written up some scripts and cgi/web interface to control the cumby remotely and want to see how much work I will need to do..if any.

3. Is the FM radio still supported on the infocast 3.5

I am off to back up my mess and get ready for the new...Thanks for making this possible.

-tom

Thanks Zurk for your work.  I've owned 2 C1's for a while now (purchased from the woot deal) and a Sony Dash refurbed.  Just happened to stumble back into the forum yesterday to see this thread and low and behold, today, see that the Chumby will be no more.   

These days, what I really want to get working on my Chumbys is to get my wireless home ip PT cameras (foscam, wansview, etc) to stream to them.

tomwsmf wrote:

1. Does this firmware overwrite the old one on the internal mem?
2. Is this a complete rewrite of the os or is it mostly based on the official os build. I ask as I have written up some scripts and cgi/web interface to control the cumby remotely and want to see how much work I will need to do..if any.
3. Is the FM radio still supported on the infocast 3.5

1. Not out of the box, but you can...there is a txt file included that shows how to go native.
2. The stuff already written should work just fine
3. Yep, it is supported

Zurk, I am working on a nice web based interface to control the devices on, I think when its a bit more worked on it would make a great inclusion to your great work. Just cgi files so it is tiny. thanks for the great work on putting this all together.

-tom