Topic: connect to wifi network requiring username and password

I would like to use my chumby 8 where I work.
The wifi network there requires a username and password (which I know).
I have seen some hacks that imply that a Chumby can be made to connect to such a network.
The explaination of the hacks is way beyond my understanding.
Can anyone provide instructions for a novice with basic computer knowledge and many years of computer use?
I won't necessarily understand everything, but I can follow simplified instructions very well.
Thanks.

(connecting to wifi network that requires username and password)

Re: connect to wifi network requiring username and password

I just did this today on an infocast 3.5", no idea if the files are in the same place or even the same name but for those wanting to give it a shot here's what I did.

DISCLAIMER: I take no responsibility if you do something that messes up your device. The following worked for me on my 3.5" but might not work for you.

First you need to ssh into the device (if you don't know how to do this the rest probably will be beyond you)
Type

cd /psp/

now type

ls

See if the file network_configs is even there (like I said I don't know the 8" at all)

assuming it is there do the following

cp network_configs network_configsBACKUP (creates a backup just in case)

chmod 777 network_configs (this should change it from read only to a file you can edit)

now the next part is tricky because you'll have to use VI to edit the file and its one of the least user friendly programs out there.

type
vi network_configs

This will open the file for editing and will display your various configurations that you already have saved on your device. The format is <configurations><configuration 1><configuration 2><configuration N></configurations> with "configuration 1" etc actually having all of the info in it as I'll get to below. (Note the config text is all on one line)

Now lets assume you have your home wifi setup as one of the configurations already,

<configurations><configuration username="" allocation="dhcp" key="mypassword" encoding="ascii" encryption="TKIP" auth="WPAPSK" hwaddr="00:00:00:00:00:00" ssid="myhomerouter" type="wlan" /></configurations>

When using vi to enter "insert" mode you have to press the letter "i" and then you can start typing, press Esc to exit "insert" mode. If at any time you mess up and want to exit without saving press Esc to ensure you're out of insert mode then enter :q! and press enter. See what I mean about the user friendliness?

Ok so in vi use the arrow keys to get to </configurations> and place your cursor before the < then press i to enter insert mode. Add the following <configuration encryption="AES" hwaddr="00:00:00:00:00:00" username="DOMAIN\USERNAME" key="MYPASSWORD" auth="WPAEAP" type="wlan" ssid="SSID_YOU_WANT_TO_CONNECT_TO" allocation="dhcp" encoding="ascii" />

Press Esc to exit "insert" mode

Your file should now look something like this (there may be more configurations if you had multiple saved)
<configurations><configuration username="" allocation="dhcp" key="mypassword" encoding="ascii" encryption="TKIP" auth="WPAPSK" hwaddr="00:00:00:00:00:00" ssid="myhomerouter" type="wlan" /><configuration encryption="AES" hwaddr="00:00:00:00:00:00" username="DOMAIN\USERNAME" key="MYPASSWORD" auth="WPAEAP" type="wlan" ssid="SSID_YOU_WANT_TO_CONNECT_TO" allocation="dhcp" encoding="ascii" /></configurations>

Now to save the changes and exit by holding shift and pressing ZZ (note: if you accidentally hold Ctrl instead it'll still close but won't save)

now lets verify the changes

cat network_configs

This will display the file, look at it and make sure the changes you added are there.

Reboot the device and the next time you are presented with the network setup choose "use existing connection" and it should appear in the list.

Now if you should muck something up here is how to restore the old file that you backed up earlier

cp network_configsBACKUP network_configs