Topic: Problem with shapes when exporting to Flash 8

I've just come across something weird that I'd like to see if anyone else can reproduce.  Using Flash CS3, create a new .fla, resize it to 320 x 240, draw a filled rectangle on the stage.  Test the movie in CS3 to verify it works.  Next, export the movie with publish settings set to Flash Player 8.  Test this .swf on your Chumby (production unit).  The rectangle isn't rendered.  Now, publish the movie to Flash Player 7 and test it again.  This time it works.  Hmmm.  I must be doing something stupid, lol.

I haven't activated my Chumby yet so I don't know if there is an update that might address this.

Any feedback would be appreciated.  As I've been using the movie clip draw api, I haven't noticed this until now and I've just switched from Flash Player 7 export to 8.

thanks,

tom

Re: Problem with shapes when exporting to Flash 8

I've noticed that the flash player on the website does not support everything that the flash player on the chumby does!  Very odd to me.  I know my stuff has worked fine when published with CS3 using advanced stuff on the Chumby just fine.  However, the website doesn't render the same way.

Todd

Is this a hollow rectangle, or a filled rectangle?

If empty, then this is a possible theory:

Flash 8 supports non-round caps and joins, but Flash Lite doesn't, so it may not render them.  When you publish as Flash 7, they get converted to round caps/joins in your SWF.

Duane,

Simple filled rectangles (and empty) with cap and join both set to round.  Same result with lines and paint brush tool.  Text with embedded fonts work fine as does the drawing api.  No luck with simple shapes, shapes converted to a symbol, movie clip, etc.

Unless there is some global setting in CS3 that I don't know about, I'm stumped.

thanks,

tom

After some more trial and error, here's my latest findings...

When targetting for Flash 8, I can use shapes that are not stroked.  As soon as I add a stroked shape to the Stage (line, etc), the entire scene does not render.  So, not only does the stroked shape not render, the entire scene does not render.

Using the identical .fla and targetting for Flash 7, stroked shapes render as expected.

So, either my CS3 is exporting weird .swfs for Flash 8 that the pc player can handle, or my Chumby can't handle strokes (round caps and joins, I assume the default for older versions of Flash).

I guess I can live without stroked objects for the short-term, but my gut tells me something isn't right.  If the issue is on my end, I would sure like to know.  I don't want to target Flash 7.

tom

After resetting the Chumby back to factory settings, this issue went away.  I should have tried this sooner.  Issue closed although I have no clue why the Chumby got in a state where it couldn't handle stroked shapes in .swf's targetted for Flash 8.

tom