Re: Why $150?

Geesh.. do you want to drive up the cost per unit Monty? Im guessing you could easily add 50-75$ per unit for NOT producing it in China..

If chinese production is a problem for you, I hate to see what a trip to ANY store is like for you...

28 (edited by Monty22001 2008-03-18 09:00:05)

It is unfortunate.  I'll take it how it is, but I don't like it.  Is it only $50 added to avoid china?

paulgb wrote:

If both devices were just a screen with a plastic encasing, you would be right.

Chumby has components like the WiFi adapter, USB ports, on-board memory, ram, a good processor, which the DVD player doesn't. I assume that chumby has higher quality parts than the DVD player. Also, the device includes access to the online chumby service so that you can upload widgets to your chumby.

$150 is a bargain if you ask me, but it'll probably end up costing $200+ Canadian sad.

To put it in layman's terms, it's actually a small form factor computer.
Absolute bargain, comes with preinstalled OS.

Music Tames The Savage Beast

As does PHP and Perl.

30 (edited by kidjan 2008-04-08 10:25:46)

jonsmirl wrote:

Why does Chumby cost $150 with a 3.5in screen when there are a lot of portable DVD players with 7in screens available at less than $100? It seems to me like Chumby should cost less than the DVD player.

My $.02 after working for a small startup developing custom hardware:

Other people have mentioned it, but a portable DVD player is typically going to lack a touchscreen LCD, a network interface, any significant amount of memory, and a general purpose embedded processor (why bother with general purpose when you can get a specialized DSP that costs significantly less)?  It does have some other components that the chumby lacks, but these are commodity parts.  Considering a DVD burner is about $30 on newegg, you do the math: the hardware for a DVD drive costs close to nothing these days.

But that's actually not the real issue.  The real issue is economy of scale.  When Sony makes a DVD player, they're going to get radically different pricing on parts than a startup will get. (check out TI pricing for DSPs if you're ordering a thousand chips verses a million--it's a whole new ballgame)  They can leverage manufacturing capabilities that a startup company can only dream of having at their disposal, which cost tens or hundreds of millions of dollars to implement.  Simply put, comparing a chumby to commodity hardware is a completely unfair comparison.  I think the people who own this company have a lot of room to cut costs, but the harsh reality of designing custom hardware for many startups is they cannot leverage economy of scale or manufacturing resources that are at the disposal of a company like Sony or Apple or Dell.  This often leads to consumers with sticker shock, but that's how "consumer" electronics reach consumer markets: economy of scale.

All you have to do is go and price internet radios. You will not find them for under $200.0 except the Chumby..Which does so much more.
I suspect that you do not even own one. Am I coprrect?

Why bother with this troll? He just wants to be contrary and will continue as long as you acknowledge him.
Yaesumofo

jonsmirl wrote:

In my experiences with touch screens they have been of dubios value and reliability. It is much cheaper to make some softkey buttons along the sides of the screen.

A Chumby in hand is worth 20 in the Wherehouse.

yaesumofo wrote:

All you have to do is go and price internet radios. You will not find them for under $200.0 except the Chumby..Which does so much more.

Hey now, I picked up a darn good Internet radio for $60.

Okay, it was from CompUSA as they were shutting the doors for good.

And all it does is be an Internet radio.

And the screen is two lines of text.

And the battery door doesn't stay shut, but I can't return it. (See 3 bullets up.)

I love my Chumby.

33 (edited by Hedwig 2008-04-09 15:31:12)

Yaesumofo wrote:

Why bother with this troll? He just wants to be contrary and will continue as long as you acknowledge him.

Actually, he hasn't had much to say for awhile:

User activity
Last post: 2007-08-30 21:02:44

jonsmirl , where are you?

I would have bought one of those at the drop of a hat!!
INternet radios are cool no matter what form thay take.
Yaesumofop

Tommy wrote:
yaesumofo wrote:

Hey now, I picked up a darn good Internet radio for $60.

Okay, it was from CompUSA as they were shutting the doors for good.

And all it does is be an Internet radio.

And the screen is two lines of text.

And the battery door doesn't stay shut, but I can't return it. (See 3 bullets up.)

I love my Chumby.

Joegrand.
In was wondering why the internal decoder was not being used> if it is there wouldn't it be more efficient than a software decoder?
Thank you.
Yaesumofo

joegrand wrote:

The Freescale MX21 processor that we're using DOES have an internal hardware module for MPEG4 video decoding. We just haven't implemented it. However, this module also affects the overall price of the MX21, as Freescale has to pay licensing fees, even if we don't implement it.

We've always said that if we can find someone to build the hardware at a cheaper price, we'd likely just use them. The beauty lies in the chumby service, not necessarily the hardware. On the other hand, we want to make the hardware hackable and accessible to support the hacking community who might not want to sign up for the service.

Joe

The internal HW H.263 decoder in the MX21 is basically undocumented.  All we can get is a license to use some closed black-box software that we'd have to link against anything that wanted to play the video.  From talking to some people that have actually done so, it turns out it will only decode video encoded with *very* specific settings, not just any video you might find around the 'net.

Hedwig wrote:

And maybe we're hoping for a sale!

Oh my. If you want a sale, get the Seagate knockoff.