Topic: wi-fi doesn't work on school campus?

It connects and everything, detects the network or whatever. All is well, but when it gets to downloading the control panel, it restarts and I go through the process again.

The network I'm connecting to is a public one, but it requires that students use their own user name and password to log into in order to use the internet. Is there a way to configure this into the Chumby?

Thanks.

Re: wi-fi doesn't work on school campus?

I had this same problem on my college network. They use the cisco clean access login here, I hate hate hate that thing. Anyway, to authenticate myself the first time, I logged into the network with my computer directly plugged into the wall. Next, I setup my router (and this might be sufficient depending on how your campus network is configured). For me however, I had to go a step further and change the DNS servers in my router's control panel to use the servers from OpenDNS instead of obtaining the campus network's DNS servers. The DNS servers seem to be the point at which my college is controlling access, so simply routing around them allowed me to connect my chumby.

I have absolutely no idea what you just said, but thank you.

Unfortunately, there's little consistency in the way various institutions restrict access to their wireless networks in addition to the more conventional WEP or WPA mechanisms.

Some require "click-through" web pages, which would mean that the chumby would need a fairly complete built-in web browser, which it currently doesn't have.  Past that point, some implement their security with MAC filtering, some with cookies, some with proxies.

This is an area of research for us.

Ah! My university's wi-fi connection requires signing in on a web page if Cisco Clean Agent is unavailable, is there a possibility that Chumby will be able to work with this?

aneesheewah wrote:

I have absolutely no idea what you just said, but thank you.

xD I didn't understand it either. Because I've been wondering on how the chumby will handle different wi-fi networks...

For click through pages - quite often, schools have the ability to register a device manually as well through a webpage. You may want to call your local IT people or dorm room IT people and ask to register a device using it's MAC address. I had that problem when I hooked up my Xbox360 for the first time some years ago.

I am having the same issue with my connecting and my chumby usually bricks once it detects and attempts to connect. When it is out of reach of the network it is fine of course (back at home). What I did was ask for a passcode and they gave me a special hidden wireless network for devices. I used a hex converter and put the code in my chumby in hex. It connected and worked but once it tried downloading the control panel it goes to the black screen that says chumby cant download the control panel if this persists etc... so I can only assume it requires further creds before it can log on

highdefinition wrote:

I had this same problem on my college network. They use the cisco clean access login here, I hate hate hate that thing. Anyway, to authenticate myself the first time, I logged into the network with my computer directly plugged into the wall. Next, I setup my router (and this might be sufficient depending on how your campus network is configured). For me however, I had to go a step further and change the DNS servers in my router's control panel to use the servers from OpenDNS instead of obtaining the campus network's DNS servers. The DNS servers seem to be the point at which my college is controlling access, so simply routing around them allowed me to connect my chumby.

wow... that's pretty damn weak access control!