Re: Subsonic on chumby

I'm happy to announce that Subsonic on chumby is now an official release starting from the 1.00 version.  It's been added to the Subsonic apps page here and will require a license code to run after the inital trial period.

If you pick up your license now, there is a special offer going on through Monday.  You can get more information at subsonic.develephant.net

Thank you supporting serious chumby development, and enjoy your music.

-dev

52 (edited by paltomare 2012-01-30 07:02:12)

Loving my Subsonic widget but have one issue I'm hoping to resolve.

I have a Vortexbox server running Logitech Media Server and Subsonic.

My music is 50% Flac and 50% Mp3 organized as such:

Music/Flac/Artist/Album/Song

Music/Mp3/Artist/Album/Song........(this is a copy of my flac folder)

Music/Mp3/Mp3-NoFlac/Artist/Album/Song

This allows the LMS library to contain all flacs and only mp3's of albums I do not have the flac version of.

I have Subsonic pointed to Music/Mp3/ and Music/Mp3/Mp3-NoFlac/

My problem is the Subsonic widget will not play the mp3s below the /Mp3-NoFlac folder, which essentially give me access to only 50% of my music. The widget just seems to get stuck searching.

Any ideas?

i do have similar problems with folders deeper than 2 stages since the last update. its a huge problem since not every music-folder is artist/album/files.mp3 . i think some solution would be for the widgit to recognize wether there are mp3s inside a folder or not.

pls help!

54 (edited by cbreeze 2012-01-30 12:26:43)

Hi all.  Thank you for the kind words regarding Subsonic on chumby.

In regards to the music directory issues above, I'm tied down to whatever is being fed from the Subsonic API.  The limitation you are speaking of is a limitation for all apps that rely on the Subsonic API.  The structure is very fixed.  Here is the issue outlined more by a Subsonic user (http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=37569#p37569).  He's speaking about the Android app, but it's the same for all apps based on the API; what you are able to see via the web interface is not always accessible from the API clients.  I actually don't have anyway of digging deeper into folders, as I don't have direct access to your file structure, only what is presented to me via the API.

This is something that you should bring up with Sindre (the Subsonic developer) in the Subsonic forums.  He is very helpful and may be able to implement something or have some other ideas on how to approach the problem.  If there is an update to the API to handle this issue, I'll add it right away, but for the time being, my hands are kind of tied.  I'm sure that's probably not the answer you wanted to hear. hmm

Thanks again for supporting Subsonic on chumby.  And if your a licensed user, be sure to check out the Subsonic on chumby music source beta.  It allows you to continue using your chumby while listening to your Subsonic based music.  You should have received a special email invite for that download.

-dev

Thanks for your reply.
I have posted this in the Subsonic forum as well and yes you are correct my Android and SubAir apps have the same problem.

I am a licensed customer and am looking forward to trying the music source beta.

Will our licence apply to the full version once out of beta?

Do you have any plans to include skip back and a progress bar functionality?

paltomare wrote:

Thanks for your reply.
I have posted this in the Subsonic forum as well and yes you are correct my Android and SubAir apps have the same problem.

I am a licensed customer and am looking forward to trying the music source beta.

Will our licence apply to the full version once out of beta?

Do you have any plans to include skip back and a progress bar functionality?

You will not need an additional license to run the music source.  Your license will be valid for both versions, though if it does make it in as a music source I will probably discontinue the app version.  I have submitted the beta to Duane at chumby for consideration, though I have not received a response yet.  I'm hoping it will make it in.

I will put the skip back and progress on the list for the next update.  Feel free to post feature requests here anytime. smile

Thanks again for your support.

-dev

I hope it makes it in, it is much more useful than the Slimserver music source.
Duane please consider!
Thanks.

Question for cbreeze.

I have changed my folder structure to work with Subsonic and now have 2 folders

Music/Mp3/Artist/Album/Song

and

Music/Mp3_No_Flac/Artist/Album/Song

Subsonic server allows me to select multiple folders but the Chumby widget has a setting to set the music folder.

Can I not have access to both folders at the same time with the widget?

59 (edited by cbreeze 2012-01-31 08:39:46)

paltomare wrote:

Question for cbreeze.

I have changed my folder structure to work with Subsonic and now have 2 folders

Music/Mp3/Artist/Album/Song

and

Music/Mp3_No_Flac/Artist/Album/Song

Subsonic server allows me to select multiple folders but the Chumby widget has a setting to set the music folder.

Can I not have access to both folders at the same time with the widget?

You should be able to have access to both, so let me double check what's happening.  I only have one folder myself so I may have inadvertently missed something.  I'll be able to look at it later today, so I should have an answer for you by tomorrow or earlier.

-dev

60 (edited by vollbr0t 2012-01-31 10:06:23)

thanks for your answers cbreeze

you asked for feature requests: it would be great to see a playlist, and to habe access to saved playlists
and i think every button and font could be downsized, to get a better and faster navigation

again, thanks for your work! big_smile

61 (edited by cbreeze 2012-02-01 10:14:53)

I've pushed a Subsonic on chumby update (1.04) to resolve the music folder issue.  The app will default to using all folders, though you can still filter them through the "Choose Music Folder" option.

If you have an 8 inch device you should get the update quickly.  The smaller devices usually take a little longer.  Sometimes rebooting will speed the process.  You can see what version you're running from the "App Information" menu option.

@vollbr0t: I will put your requests on the list.  I would like the ability to view/save the playlist as well.  As far as the UI is concerned, I will eventually be forking the UI to have a different version for the larger sized devices.  Right now it's easier to maintain the code while adding features by having one uniformed UI for both device sizes.

If you are running the Subsonic as chumby music source beta, you will need to download the updated files at the URL contained in your invitation email.

Thanks for your support.  If you have any questions feel free to ask. smile

-dev

Nice work, v1.04 of the app works great with multiple folders now.
Having difficulty with the music source beta, it doesn't seem to like multiple folders, I still only see content of a single source folder even though it shows the option for all folders. Also, an attempt to browse albums crashes my chumby every time. I have a Insignia 3.5" Is there a place to report bugs for the music source beta?

paltomare wrote:

Having difficulty with the music source beta, it doesn't seem to like multiple folders, I still only see content of a single source folder even though it shows the option for all folders. Also, an attempt to browse albums crashes my chumby every time. I have a Insignia 3.5" Is there a place to report bugs for the music source beta?

If I may ask, did you run the previous beta music source (1.03)?  And if so, did that one work for you?

In any case I'll run some tests.  I sadly don't have an Insignia, though I do have a couple other 3.5's.  As far as bug reporting, I don't have any official channel for that, but I'll put something up over the weekend.

Thanks for the feedback.

-dev

cbreeze wrote:
paltomare wrote:

If I may ask, did you run the previous beta music source (1.03)?  And if so, did that one work for you?

In any case I'll run some tests.  I sadly don't have an Insignia, though I do have a couple other 3.5's.  As far as bug reporting, I don't have any official channel for that, but I'll put something up over the weekend.

Thanks for the feedback.

-dev

I did run the source beta 1.03 for a few days. It too would crash when trying to browse and it didn't handle multiple folders.
I'd be happy to send feedback as I use both the app and the source.

it would be great if you would make some sort of changelog

normally i do miss it when there is a new version, and i never know what has changed

p.s.: pls implement ssl smile

cbreeze, assuming subsonic gets accepted as a music source. Would it then be available as an option to use as an alarm?

Any developments on why the browse album function crashes?

It's taking a little longer than I expected to get Subsonic added as an "official" music source.  I'll post when I know more.

@Duane: Any news about the subsonic music source addition?

Duane wrote:

It's taking a little longer than I expected to get Subsonic added as an "official" music source.  I'll post when I know more.

Hey Duane, Any news on this by chance? I'd love this feature on my Chumby, Just discovered Subsonic and the widget is great but I'd like to play music when my Chumby is in Night mode.

It's up to breeze - I've asked whether he would like it added under the current circumstances.  I'll ping him again.

Hi
I have not been following this post and just had a brief look at it. Just a perhaps dumb question.... what does this do that something like Squeezebox does not?

Was wondering if and when we might see a playlist for this wonderful app?

Duane wrote:

It's up to breeze - I've asked whether he would like it added under the current circumstances.  I'll ping him again.

.... bump for possible update

I just wanted to post and say thanks for this application. I'm actually using it on a Sony Dash rather than a true Chumby but it still appears to be working great. I was able to connect to my SubSonic server with no trouble.

My only question (not really an issue/problem) is how do I scroll long lists on the screen?  For example, browsing by artist and I have 20 listed under the letter "C".  I tap on C and I see the top part of the list but not all of the artists.  How would I scroll down to see more of the artists?

Thanks again for the great work!!

Hello everyone, I am very glad that there is a group of enthusiasts ! I installed an application on a server Nas4free subsonic but I can not get it to work on my dashboard sony dash. In this case everything works fine from the LAN through a browser http://192.168.135.10 ( port 80), so I ordered a static DNS on the router through a browser Subsonic.ru works by IP and by name but my dash is not joined to the server , although external server demo.subsinic.org docks without problems and plays music . Please help set up subsonic to work on sony dash, may need to tweak something on the server ?
P.S. later does neproigryvayutsya flac tell me what I need to add ?