26 (edited by specific 2011-07-08 01:43:09)

Re: Subsonic on chumby

@Steve

Assuming you've installed Subsonic on a Windows PC...

To get the IP address of your music server, go to Start > Run > type cmd and press enter to get the command line. Then type ipconfig and press enter. This will give you details of your current network connection including your local IP address (usually 192.168.something.something).

Note that you may want to set this address to a static IP (you can Google this info) otherwise if you turn off your PC the address may change.

To find out what port number you are using, right click the Subsonic tray icon and choose 'open subsonic in browser'. Your browser will open a page http://localhost:XXXX, where XXXX is the port number that Subsonic is running on.

Combine these 2 bits of information to make up your Subsonic server address: http://192.168.something.something:XXXX

You may be able to use your PC machine name instead of the IP address but I've not tested this. Right click 'My Computer', select 'Properties' and the computer name will be listed in there. You may be able to use this value instead to get around the static IP issue, i.e. http://computername:XXXX

Personally, I've got my router to port-forward Subsonic through my Internet connection so I can set up the Android & Chumby clients against my external IP address to access music from outside my home (over 3G etc).

Great, got it working now, thanks for your help and great App.

Hi Develephant,

I am completely enthusiastic about your widget (and rated it accordingly :-}).
For a while (actually a night or two) I tried squeezebox as music server on my home network. It failed and hung fatally on some 'unexpected formats' I suppose. Half a year later I found Subsonic and have been using it ever since. Been using it with PCs --> great! Phones (htc magic --> Android App, nokia n8 --> web browser because no symbian 3 App available) --> not so amazing.
Your widget is working great with my Chumby One at work (using DynDNS to access the server at home). It plays most files the subsonic web interface (firefox) plays. Possibly transcoding flac leading to too high bit rates.
I can't make it work at home though (even when setting up a separate channel using a static local IP in the widget config). At home I have a Chumby classic. The widget starts (it even shows some cover art sometimes), file and folder browsing is OK, but when I start a song there is only an initial click on the speaker system and then silence. I can browse on, but the behavior remains. I haven't found a song it would play at home. And I have tried songs that did work at work (whoa, a pun!)

Anyway, thanks for the widget and I am truly looking forward to future releases.

Stefan

Does it work with SSL?

My subsonic is secured with ssl...

sterin wrote:

At home I have a Chumby classic. The widget starts (it even shows some cover art sometimes), file and folder browsing is OK, but when I start a song there is only an initial click on the speaker system and then silence. I can browse on, but the behavior remains.

Stefan

Just curious, have you tried the chumby classic at another location? Does the clicking and silence happen with other audio sources, such as Shoutcast? I had this problem with my classic on Shoutcast. I went back and forth with tech support for some time. They finally wanted to see my classic, so I shipped it back to them and they sent me a new one.

Brian, #1 Joan Jett Fan

31 (edited by devr 2011-07-18 15:47:53)

Couple of issues:

When the chumby subsonic widget plays/streams a song... what bitrate/options does it request it at ? Currently whenever I try to play a song, subsonic spawns a lame process on my subsonic server to re-encode. My subsonic server is not a very powerful server, and would prefer avoiding the lame re-encoding.

My subsonic.sh file makes use of the SUBSONIC_CONTEXT_PATH variable. Seems the widget doesn't like a context path when you enter the URL http://ip.add.rr.com:4040/connect_path/. Once I remove that option, back to a basic config.. the widget is able to connect fine.

Thanks for the widget, I am very excited to use it.

EDIT: exact lame process and options are:

/opt/subsonic/transcode/lame -S -h --resample 44.1 -b 96 --tt Momma's Boy --ta Elizabeth & The Catapult --tl Taller Children /data/MyMusic/Elizabeth & The Catapult/Taller Children/01 - Momma's Boy.mp3 -

Joan Jett wrote:
sterin wrote:

At home I have a Chumby classic. The widget starts (it even shows some cover art sometimes), file and folder browsing is OK, but when I start a song there is only an initial click on the speaker system and then silence. I can browse on, but the behavior remains.

Stefan

Just curious, have you tried the chumby classic at another location? Does the clicking and silence happen with other audio sources, such as Shoutcast? I had this problem with my classic on Shoutcast. I went back and forth with tech support for some time. They finally wanted to see my classic, so I shipped it back to them and they sent me a new one.

Shoutcast works really well, so does mediafly. I'll need to try it somewhere else. Or run a wireshark trace on the server to see what the Chumby Classic is requesting. I wish there were some debug output available on the chumby side. (There actually may be some I just don't know about)

Well done on the Subsonic widget. Quick newbie questions:

1) Donations: I'd be happy to donate to encourage new feature development -- do you have a website for that?
2) New versions: I'm new to Chumby. Do new versions get automatically downloaded to my Chumby, or do I need to initiate that process?
3) Documentation? User guide? Is there one? Did I miss the link? Thanks for a pointer
4) Creating/loading playlists -- YES. Please add that feature when you can. That would be terrific.

Thanks!

I've loaded the Subsonic Chumby widget on my Sony Dash but cannot get it to connect to my Subsonic server. I get the message "Could Not Connect To Your Subsonic Server", followed by the splash screen which never advances. My Subsonic server is hosted on a Mac Mini on my local network and works fine with all other clients. Here's what I've done so far:

1. Downloaded the crossdomain.xml file, but subsequently found that it was already in place (perhaps newer versions of the Subsonic server install already include this?)

2. Confirmed that the crossdomain.xml file already in place was identical to that which I downloaded.

3. Confirmed that the proper reference to crossdomain.xml already existed in the applicationContext-security.xml file.

4. Configured the Chumby widget to point to "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:4040", where the server ip is on the same local subnet to which the Sony Dash is connected.

5. Configured the Chumby widget to use a known good username/password on the Subsonic server.

6. Restarted both the Subsonic server and the Sony Dash.

7. Confirmed that the same ip/port and credentials work from a computer browser and a Subsonic iPhone client app.

I'm not sure what else to try. Any suggestions?

edman wrote:

WOW.

Few wishes/requests:
* Be able to add a music folder that contains several folders (traversing)
* A playlist loader would be a great feature.
* Randomize songs based on folder (with traversing)

Thanks for this. Id go as far as saying this is the killer app for the chumby.

I second these requests and would like to also request a clock in the logo bar.

For some reason  playing a folder within a folder does not always work.  I have run across a few folders where "Play song' is the only option and does nothing. These folders contain additional folders with Mp3s.  only 2 levels deep.   In other cases the same structure works.  I have not been able to determine the difference.

Thanks for the great work!

Got it working now!
How?
Turn everything off. Go on vacation. Return and restart everything at home. :-}

Still can't understand why some folders seem to be recognized as files and thus can't be played.
Anyway. Wonderful app. It has got (and truly deserves) its very own channel.

Stefan

Hi,

Regarding the folders in folders, please refer to some of the information about how Subsonic expects it's folder structures.

In the 0.25+ versions you can now adjust the bitrate via the config widget on chumby.com.  Common numbers are 96 - 128 - 256, if something doesn't sound right you probably have it set to an incompatible bitrate.

Enjoy.

-dev

cbreeze wrote:

Hi,

Regarding the folders in folders, please refer to some of the information about how Subsonic expects it's folder structures.

-dev

CBreeze,

I do have my music organized in folders and use Subsonic on my phone & on the web, frequently.

What appears to be happening is this:  If there is a directory  that contains both .mp3 files AND sub-directories containing more .mp3s,  then those sub-directories will appear as songs and be unplayable.   If I have a directory that contains only sub-directories, then they appear as albums and are brows-able/playable.

I have a lot of directories that contain both .mp3 singles and full album sub-dirs.  Currently your player won't play the sub-dirs unless I move the .mp3 singles into their own sub-dir.   (at least this seems to be the case based on 20 minutes of testing).

Is this fixable or should I re-arrange my collection? 

Thanks again for the app!  Much appreciated.

I've loaded the Subsonic Chumby widget on my Sony Dash but cannot get it to connect to my Subsonic server. I get the message "Could Not Connect To Your Subsonic Server", followed by the splash screen which never advances. My Subsonic server is hosted on a Mac Mini on my local network and works fine with all other clients. Here's what I've done so far:

1. Downloaded the crossdomain.xml file, but subsequently found that it was already in place (perhaps newer versions of the Subsonic server install already include this?)

2. Confirmed that the crossdomain.xml file already in place was identical to that which I downloaded.

3. Confirmed that the proper reference to crossdomain.xml already existed in the applicationContext-security.xml file.

4. Configured the Chumby widget to point to "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:4040", where the server ip is on the same local subnet to which the Sony Dash is connected.

5. Configured the Chumby widget to use a known good username/password on the Subsonic server.

7. Confirmed that the same ip/port and credentials work from a computer browser and a Subsonic iPhone client app.

Hello!

I've exactly the same problem as "djsteve". Does anybody has the widget successfully running on Sony Dash?
Thanks!

Best regards,
Langi

djsteve wrote:

Hello,

I have pretty much exactly the same set-up using the latest Subsonic (45) but am not having any issues.  Unfortunately, I don't know enough about Subsonic internally to offer much assistance.  I am using a direct ip and not "localhost".  I also allow Subsonic to open the ports on my router automatically, which may help.  Again, beyond the widget working I am not to sure about what the issues could be.

You no longer have to edit any files to use Subsonic server for chumby.  The developer was kind enough to add the edits to the core install.  Now it's even easier to enjoy your music collection anywhere your chumby resides.  smile

I've updated the initial thread posting as well.

-dev

sim2 wrote:

What appears to be happening is this:  If there is a directory  that contains both .mp3 files AND sub-directories containing more .mp3s,  then those sub-directories will appear as songs and be unplayable.   If I have a directory that contains only sub-directories, then they appear as albums and are brows-able/playable.

I have a lot of directories that contain both .mp3 singles and full album sub-dirs.  Currently your player won't play the sub-dirs unless I move the .mp3 singles into their own sub-dir.   (at least this seems to be the case based on 20 minutes of testing).

Is this fixable or should I re-arrange my collection? 

Thanks again for the app!  Much appreciated.

I can confirm this behavior as well. I'll be moving the singles into their own folders.

Brian, #1 Joan Jett Fan

I notice that the re-encoding doesn't seem to work when it is .mp3 to .mp3:

[9/18/11 9:07:44 PM EDT]     DEBUG    TranscodeInputStream    Starting transcoder: [/var/subsonic/transcode/lame] [-S] [-h] [--resample] [44.1] [-b] [96] [--tt] [Banks Of Newfoundland] [--ta] [Fine Crowd] [--tl] [Fine Crowd Misc] [/Music/Fine Crowd/00.Banks Of Newfoundland.Fine Crowd Misc.mp3] [-]

[9/18/11 9:07:44 PM EDT]     WARN    TranscodingService    Failed to transcode /Music/Fine Crowd/00.Banks Of Newfoundland.Fine Crowd Misc.mp3. Using original.

I did creat a rule for this, but I still get the "failed to transcode" message.

Great widget though.....love it!

Brian

Brian, #1 Joan Jett Fan

44 (edited by cbreeze 2011-09-23 12:13:02)

Joan Jett wrote:

I notice that the re-encoding doesn't seem to work when it is .mp3 to .mp3:

[9/18/11 9:07:44 PM EDT]     DEBUG    TranscodeInputStream    Starting transcoder: [/var/subsonic/transcode/lame] [-S] [-h] [--resample] [44.1] [-b] [96] [--tt] [Banks Of Newfoundland] [--ta] [Fine Crowd] [--tl] [Fine Crowd Misc] [/Music/Fine Crowd/00.Banks Of Newfoundland.Fine Crowd Misc.mp3] [-]

[9/18/11 9:07:44 PM EDT]     WARN    TranscodingService    Failed to transcode /Music/Fine Crowd/00.Banks Of Newfoundland.Fine Crowd Misc.mp3. Using original.

I did creat a rule for this, but I still get the "failed to transcode" message.

Great widget though.....love it!

Brian

I'm sorry I can't be of more assistance in this department, but thank you for the kind words. smile

-dev

Huge thanks for this plugin!  I bought my wife a Sony Dash thinking that I would use the Orb streamer so she could watch TV and listen to music in the kitchen ... only to discover the Orb streamer was no more ... if you are ever able to add video streaming it would be the icing on  the cake!

Anyway, I'm probably missing something, but is there a way to play a folder from the "Browse All Albums" menu?
If I click on the album I get a list of songs, but clicking on a song only plays that song (or adds it to the jukebox).  I can add each song in the album to the jukebox but that takes a while - it would be nice to be able to browse the albums and play one (shuffle would be nice as well but not needed).  My current workaround is to browse the folders, play a song from the folder I want, then back up to "Get Recent Albums" where I can then select the album and "Play This Folder Now."    It would be nice to be able to select "Play This Folder Now" from the "Browse All Albums" menu.

I'll be happy to donate/purchase/praise/etc. as needed - Again, Thanks!

-Jim

pyefox wrote:

Huge thanks for this plugin!  I bought my wife a Sony Dash thinking that I would use the Orb streamer so she could watch TV and listen to music in the kitchen ... only to discover the Orb streamer was no more ... if you are ever able to add video streaming it would be the icing on  the cake!

Anyway, I'm probably missing something, but is there a way to play a folder from the "Browse All Albums" menu?
If I click on the album I get a list of songs, but clicking on a song only plays that song (or adds it to the jukebox).  I can add each song in the album to the jukebox but that takes a while - it would be nice to be able to browse the albums and play one (shuffle would be nice as well but not needed).  My current workaround is to browse the folders, play a song from the folder I want, then back up to "Get Recent Albums" where I can then select the album and "Play This Folder Now."    It would be nice to be able to select "Play This Folder Now" from the "Browse All Albums" menu.

I'll be happy to donate/purchase/praise/etc. as needed - Again, Thanks!

-Jim

Thank you for the kind words.  I'll take a look at the issues you mentioned.  I do want to give this widget a nice update as soon as I get more organized.  I did some recent experiments with video trans-coding from Subsonic and didn't have too much luck (massive lag and sync issues).  I've yet to try it on a larger chumby as I was hoping it would run on the smaller ones, like Orb did.  Stay tuned though, I should have something coming down the pipes "soon-ish." smile

Cheers.

This looks like something I'd love to use. But, it seems not to work with HTTPS. I use SSL with Subsonic so passwords aren't passed in the clear from clients on the public (Internet) side.

Any chance for SSL support?

Merry Christmas, and hope things are going well ...

Just wanted to mention that it looks like MP3 files will only play if they have "Contributing Artist" set - if it is blank it looks like the song is playing but nothing happens ... not sure if this is Subsonic or the widget.  It may be the widget since the display below the song changes in the song list.

Hope to see new versions!

Thanks again,
-Jim

P.S.  I'd be happy to help look into fixing things if the source is available somewhere ...

pyefox wrote:

Merry Christmas, and hope things are going well ...

Just wanted to mention that it looks like MP3 files will only play if they have "Contributing Artist" set - if it is blank it looks like the song is playing but nothing happens ... not sure if this is Subsonic or the widget.  It may be the widget since the display below the song changes in the song list.

Hope to see new versions!

Thanks again,
-Jim

P.S.  I'd be happy to help look into fixing things if the source is available somewhere ...

I'm not 100% if I follow you, but I'll look into it.

50 (edited by cbreeze 2012-01-07 12:22:09)

mike.s wrote:

This looks like something I'd love to use. But, it seems not to work with HTTPS. I use SSL with Subsonic so passwords aren't passed in the clear from clients on the public (Internet) side.

Any chance for SSL support?

We could run some tests.  I don't have an SSL set-up, but my guess is how the app is calling the server.  Right now all calls are using "http://", so it could be just a matter of a toggle.

-dev