Topic: Ethernet

Duane wrote:

2007-07-24 13:02:39

The production chumbys include kernel drivers for the most common wired USB NICs, and it's pretty easy to configure form the command line or from a dongle using the "debugchumby" callbacks.  However, at the moment, there's no Control Panel support.  There is an open suggestion in the bug database to add that support.

Any update on this since we're in pre-production?  Long story short, I don't do wireless.

I'd get a chumby today if there was a solid USB Ethernet option in play.

thanks,

-me

Re: Ethernet

I too find it odd that it requires a wall power, but it's only WiFi. I would have preferred only Ethernet myself.
Having said this, I think you can:
  1) plug in a USB-to-Ethernet adapter. You might have to compile the module for the kernel for it.
  2) Disable the built-in WiFi adapter. There should be a software way to do this.

ih2 wrote:

I too find it odd that it requires a wall power, but it's only WiFi.

Well, we expect the chumby to be used in places in the home where wired Ethernet is very unlikely to be available.

I'm pretty sure at least some USB Ethernet drivers are already built into the kernel.

Good to hear about the possibility USB Ethernet drivers already build into the kernel.  I have access to a syba USB to Network adapter.  Will test in a few days and post back.  If anyone else has additional information please post.

Yeah, I don't have wireless for my Chumby yet. If there is a USB to Ethernat adapter I'd sure buy one.
Because if my chumby is going to be plugged in all day anyway... >.<