Re: Running Chumby8 ControlPanel on the Infocast 8" - UPDATED

At one time was thinking of purchasing a Sony Dash for similiar reasons but noticed the CPU is only around 500Mhz verses the Infocast at 800Mhz.

All,
I updated my I8 to C8 with success with the latest update. But I cannot get the browser to start. I followed the procedure indicaded by duane (Bcon in the Pi menu) but when I click on READ MORE in google news or in similar widgets I see the window popping up "loading browser" and after few seconds a second one indicating that the loding failed.
Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

chumbyfly wrote:

After updating to Chumby8, I found that the music function no longer allows user to set a play time period.
We used to be able to set up Infocast8 to stop playing the music after x minutes (useful for bed time music control so you don't have to wake up to turn off the music), that function is gone.  How do we do that with the new Chumby8 fw/sw?

I also notice the Chumbylite browser does not consistently give user a keyboard when click on a text input entry box such as the address entry boxes in Google Maps.  Do we have any workaround?  In gmail, to reply to email, one can switch to basic html mode and then you can trigger the browser's keyboard for text entry.  However, there is no <Enter> key in the keyboard so the reply can only be one line long.  The browser keyboard is inconsistent, sometime a <submit> button is there, sometime it is missing.  Is there a way to manually force the browser keyboard to come up with the version that includes the <submit> button?

Thanks MVS for the great instructions.  It worked very well here except for the above missing features.

I can't enter capital letters in the browser using the drop-down keyboard.   Does anybody else see this with the C8 on I8 Contol Panel?  I've tried Firmware 3719, 3785 and 3806, but all give lower case only.  Clicking the arrow to try to get upper-case gets no change.

Any news on this?
I rebooted the I8 with C8 all works but the browser. I wonder if I am the only one with this problem if I am doing anything wrong  or the browser functionality has been removed. Thanks.

speedsthatbeat wrote:

All,
I updated my I8 to C8 with success with the latest update. But I cannot get the browser to start. I followed the procedure indicaded by duane (Bcon in the Pi menu) but when I click on READ MORE in google news or in similar widgets I see the window popping up "loading browser" and after few seconds a second one indicating that the loding failed.
Any help would be appreciated.

Problem solved.
the chumbybrowser is installed in /tmp/storage and installs libraries in /tmp/storage/lib/ I had an older version or libstdc++ installed that would not allow the browser to run. Using the version that was installed during the update solved the problem.

thanks

speedsthatbeat wrote:

Problem solved.
I had an older version or libstdc++ installed that would not allow the browser to run.

Neat! How did you discover that the old library was your problem?

I executed start_chumbybrowser in /tmp/chumbybrowser from command line and i got the error messages relative to the libraries.

eastpole wrote:
speedsthatbeat wrote:

Problem solved.
I had an older version or libstdc++ installed that would not allow the browser to run.

Neat! How did you discover that the old library was your problem?

I have not been able to successfully reflash my Infocast with July's updated firmware with USB.  It did not offer an over the air update either.  I guess we are stuck at 5.029, 1.8.1, and 1.8.3785.

134 (edited by pete_c 2011-07-14 13:30:39)

I had some earlier issues with the USB updating where as it wouldn't recognize or only do partial upgrades from the USB dongle.  Initially I though it was me or my touch screen being to sensitive or not enough sensitive.

I haven't changed the memory stick; but I do reformat it every time I put a new FW file on it.

Lately it seems better as I've been able to flash the firmware from and to various I8 or C8 firmwares with no real issues.

Recently just updated to test an AS3 widget but the rest of the Chumby's are utilizing most current C8 production FW.  I keep going from the Chumby CP to my test Debian Lenny setup that I don't pay too much attention to the CP these days.

PunBB bbcode CP

I was able to download the FW 1.8.2 update.zip and use the update via USB procedure to install the latest 1.8.2 FW and 5.0.30 CP successfully on my Infocast 8 HW with Chumby 8's 1.8.1 FW 5.029 CP before the update.
Just make sure your USB flash drive is formatted with FAT16 or FAT32 and you place the update.zip at the top level and it should work if you follow the USB update procedure properly.

Almost everything seemed to work and I now have AS3 app support!

However, when I searched for AS3 apps using AS3 as keyword, I can only find two: Google Reader and Joy of Baking.
Google Reader works flawlessly but Joy of Baking won't even load after I added it in a channel.
Is there a list of all AS3 apps somewhere that we can used to test out the new AS3 features?

I also noticed that the calendar and clock overlay functions for displaying photos on your local storage were broken.
There is still no music sleep timer function and the browser keyboard issues still remain (see my previous post).

Plank wrote:

I have not been able to successfully reflash my Infocast with July's updated firmware with USB.  It did not offer an over the air update either.  I guess we are stuck at 5.029, 1.8.1, and 1.8.3785.

It turns out my USB key was bad.  I tried another and it updated the very first time!

I went back to updating my C8 which had been updated previously to most current I8; then to the I8 developement AS3 FW back to the current production release of the newest I8 FW and had no issuess with the updated FW/CP and browser interface.

It would be nice though if the I8 info page showed the version of the browser interface.

I just got this used and was able to update per instructions. Now, the only issue I am having is trying to figure out how to customize widgets like changing zipcode for weather apps. My understanding you have to register on Chumby.com and activate the device, but I am not sure if it's possible with this hack. Any ideas?

Nevermind, I figured it out.

MVS wrote:
  1. Go here and download the file mentioned directly under "updating with a USB flash drive".

2. Copy the file you downloaded (update.zip) to a clean USB flash drive.  Do not rename it, extract it, or put it inside any folders.

3. Turn your Infocast off using the power button on the back.

4. Plug the USB flash drive into one of the USB ports on the back of the Infocast.

5. Press and hold your finger on the screen, and without releasing it, press the power button to turn the Infocast on again.

6. Keep your finger on the screen until you are asked to calibrate the Infocast.  Finish that process, and you should see the Special Options screen.

7. Press the Install Updates button.

8. Press the Install From USB Drive button.

9. The firmware installation will now begin (the Infocast will reboot halfway through the process).  Be sure not to turn the power off or remove the USB drive until the installation is completely finished.

10. Your Infocast will now be running the Chumby 8 firmware, software, and control panel.

-Is this still the best way to update an I8 to a C8?
-What do you need to reverse the update?

Yes, I found out that this is the easiest, best way.  Once you have the new software, you will not want to go back.

Can anyone confirm I have the latest Chumby software for the Insignia 8?  Here is what I have:

Control Panel:       5.0.30
Software:              1.0.5
Firmware:              1.0.3548
Model No.:             9.7

143 (edited by Plank 2011-08-11 05:35:32)

I have 5.0.30, 1.8.2, 1.8.3883, 9.7

Is that on an Infocast 8?  Can you point me to the post with the latest software and firmware for Insignia 8?

http://www.chumby.com/help/chumby_8/latest_software

Yes, I am running this on an Infocast 8

I updated my Insignia8 to the following.  I had to try two different thumb drives but eventually it worked.

Control Panel:       5.0.30
Software:              1.8.2
Firmware:              1.8.3883
Model No.:             9.7

I now have a bug.  When I run a slide show, only my low-resolution pictures display.  Also, the clock overlay doesn't work (I selected it in settings).  Has anyone else observed this?

Is there anyway to run the control panel without an internet connection? And has anyone has the browser up and running from the control panel

I just brought my infocast home today.. flashed it to the C8 USB method, however once I did that I had no sound on the device anymore. I had to flash it back to the I8 firmware.. and sound was working again.

Anyone else have this issue? or resolve it?

fuzzbear wrote:

I just brought my infocast home today.. flashed it to the C8 USB method, however once I did that I had no sound on the device anymore. I had to flash it back to the I8 firmware.. and sound was working again.

Anyone else have this issue? or resolve it?

I actually re-flashed it again, and it worked this time. must have been a fluke?

How did you reflash it?  I tried but it didn't allow me to upgrade.  I assumed it was because the file on the thumb drive was the same version loaded on the Infocast.