Re: Running Chumby8 ControlPanel on the Infocast 8" - UPDATED

Thank you for the suggestions MVS about the FW.  Will give a try today with the standard release C8 firmware.

MVS,

Thanks for the help!

By the way on the Chumby 8 firmware instruction page, it's not clear on how to do it. It says NOT to extract the file (zip file)and then rename "update.gz" to "update.tgz". Is it referring to the downloaded file "update.zip" then just rename to "update.tgz"?

Thanks again!!!

I didn't rename anything.  I copied the zip file to a FAT 16 formatted USB key.  FAT 32 didn't work for me.

Flashing the Infocast with Chumby firmware sounds a bit beyond the capabilities of muggles like me.  I will stay with the USB solution for now.  Maybe when the installation procedure becomes easier and a new version of firmware is released I will jump on the bandwagon.  Till then, I am lovin' my alarms and scheduler.

Raddle,

Its easy to flash the firmware.  Just do a cold boot, keep your finger on the screen and you will be prompted to update the firmware via your USB flash stick.  It just looks for the update.zip file and does the upgrade.

So the only difference between temporary and permanent installation is to hold my finger on the screen till the firmware starts loading?

82 (edited by ZUCK02 2011-05-12 13:10:20)

I just did the upgrade on mine and it works. And Im by no means a hacker or anything like that. Though if it works for you and you dont like it, you could always go back to the default installation. I did that with mine before I used the 3785 firmware.

Now that I have it working, is there a way to get a usb keyboard going on this? Is there a way to actually browse the internet with the mod? I know nothing about ssh or anything and I dont want to fiddle with it since it seems to be working as a chumby unless Im sure of what Im doing. I tried to use the Bcon & it doesnt work for me.

MVS wrote:

I'd recommend avoiding the 3806 firmware for the Infocast, since other users have reported problems with it (such as post #69).  It does have a higher version number, but it's a developer release that contains experimental code and most likely hasn't been through as much quality checking as the 3785 firmware.

Thanks for clarifying and spelling out the reasons. It's important to get this right, given that the Infoshare seems to be destined to be an orphan product. On the other hand, it's a great orphan product and the similarity to the Chumby 8 is key.

So while it's fun to mess around with a C8 CP, as I have been, the way forward long term for Infoshare owners is to cross over to a C8 firmware, the big 100 MB download.

Thoughts?

84 (edited by MVS 2011-05-12 18:59:50)

ZUCK02 wrote:

Now that I have it working, is there a way to get a usb keyboard going on this? Is there a way to actually browse the internet with the mod? I know nothing about ssh or anything and I dont want to fiddle with it since it seems to be working as a chumby unless Im sure of what Im doing. I tried to use the Bcon & it doesnt work for me.

The process is kind of drawn out, but here's how to browse the internet:

• Turn Bcon on from the pi menu

• Add the Google News app to one of your channels (if it's not there already)

• Start the Google News app

• Click the link at the bottom of any news article

• Once the browser window is open, press the button on the top of the Infocast

• You can now enter a URL and browse the internet

eastpole wrote:

So while it's fun to mess around with a C8 CP, as I have been, the way forward long term for Infoshare owners is to cross over to a C8 firmware, the big 100 MB download.

Thoughts?

I agree.  The Infocast seems to be discontinued according to the Insignia forums, so it's very unlikely that it will receive any more firmware or control panel updates.  As long as the Chumby 8 firmware continues to work on the Infocast, I think that's the best way to go.

Raddle wrote:

So the only difference between temporary and permanent installation is to hold my finger on the screen till the firmware starts loading?

I am starting to get it. Here's what this conversation lacks: A couple definitions (firmware, control panel) and a diagram or two. I'll try for the former.

Raddle, and I *could* be wrong here, you're getting muddled up with two different pieces of software on the Chumby.

1) firmware -- boots off internal flash, runs the device. 100 MB or so. Perhaps a filename like rom-silvermoon_a0.img.zip.

The firmware image contains the filesystem/software/flashplayer that runs on the device - essentially, everything except the Control Panel and the apps.

My Infocast says it is running firmware 1.0.3548. Weird!

Normally a user doesn't need the full firmware, we just need to update #2 and #3 below.

2) Software (Do some of us also call this firmware?)

This is the operating system and flash player that underlies and enables the main Control Panel, and every app.

To replace #2, you need to "hold down" the touchscreen on boot, indicate you want an upgrade, and point to the file on a USB stick. (Or perhaps there is another way? Yes, it's called updating over the air. )

My Infocast says it has software v. 1.0.5. ... Could that be right given the current numbers below?

Software has version numbers like: Chumby8 SW version 1.8.1
http://files.chumby.com/resources/chumb … update.zip
http://files.chumby.com/ken/fl4/enginee … update.zip
http://files.chumby.com/dave/fl4/1.7.3719/update.zip

3) Control Panel -- after boot, firmware retrieves it (if an upgrade exists) from chumby.com. The excellent script that TylerFixer wrote has the effect of changing which CP your machine retrieves and runs. That script can live on a USB stick or elsewhere. (Where?)

CPs have a version # like version 5.0.29. (Thanks to TylerFixer I have the latest, here.)

The CP is actually just a Flash app.

By now I've either confused you, or convinced you that I'm confused! smile

I just wanted to make clear that many people in the forums may not be aware of which category contains which functions, which tools modify what, or what any of it means. smile

Anyone want to jump in?

References:
http://www.chumby.com/help/faq/12
http://www.geekgonenomad.com/2011/03/31 … -firmware/
https://developer.chumby.com/index.php/Firmware
http://wiki.chumby.com/index.php/Chumby … trol_Panel

Cheers,
eastpole

The process is kind of drawn out, but here's how to browse the internet:

• Turn Bcon on from the pi menu

• Add the Google News app to one of your channels (if it's not there already)

• Start the Google News app

• Click the link at the bottom of any news article

• Once the browser window is open, press the button on the top of the Infocast

• You can now enter a URL and browse the internet

I just turned the unit on after being away all afternoon, by itself a screen came up that said chumbutilies and started running something from flash lite. Now back to my other problem. I hit the pi sign and I get a list which includes Bcon, hitting Bcon does nothing.

is it true that we can able to change the version c8??When I click on videos or music I don't see the internal 2GB card. I just see USB1 USB2, SD Card, and CF Card.

88 (edited by MVS 2011-05-13 00:01:28)

ZUCK02 wrote:

I hit the pi sign and I get a list which includes Bcon, hitting Bcon does nothing.

It doesn't look like anything happens when you press it, but it's actually enabling the browser controls.  Without it, the fifth bullet point from my post above will just exit the browser window.

eastpole wrote:
MVS wrote:

I'd recommend avoiding the 3806 firmware for the Infocast, since other users have reported problems with it (such as post #69).  It does have a higher version number, but it's a developer release that contains experimental code and most likely hasn't been through as much quality checking as the 3785 firmware.

Thanks for clarifying and spelling out the reasons. It's important to get this right, given that the Infoshare seems to be destined to be an orphan product. On the other hand, it's a great orphan product and the similarity to the Chumby 8 is key.

Thoughts?

100Mb? I downloaded the update.zip from the link that MVS provided, and it's only ~39Mb.

Just a quick FYI recap to this thread.

- initially the thread began with establishing a method to download the Chumby 8 Control Panel.  Many folks tried it and it worked.  The boot up shows the new Chumby 8 Control loading but still shows Insignia logo in the start of the boot process.
- the script and update to the Chumby 8 Control panel worked even after a cold or warm boot.
- it appears that mostly all the widgets worked; except for a few.
- the thread evolved to being able to update the Infocast 8 to the Chumby 8 firmware.  Initially folks tried the developement firmware; then later the production firmware.  It still shows the Insignia logo upon boot; but if you check you will see the info relating to the Chumby8 firmware.
- now folks are trying the various widgets on the Infocast 8 to Chumby 8 firmware and control panel update.

91 (edited by kwadguy 2011-05-13 07:01:13)

pete_c wrote:

- initially the thread began with establishing a method to download the Chumby 8 Control Panel.  Many folks tried it and it worked.  The boot up shows the new Chumby 8 Control loading but still shows Insignia logo in the start of the boot process.
- the script and update to the Chumby 8 Control panel worked even after a cold or warm boot.
- the thread evolved to being able to update the Infocast 8 to the Chumby 8 firmware.  Initially folks tried the developement firmware; then later the production firmware.  It still shows the Insignia logo upon boot; but if you check you will see the info relating to the Chumby8 firmware.
- now folks are trying the various widgets on the Infocast 8 to Chumby 8 firmware and control panel update.

So...It is my understanding that if you update the FIRMWARE, using the latest production firmware (not the development firmware), then reboot, the Infocast/Chumby will then automatically download the appopriate Chumby control panel update? This appears to be what MVS has said. So then, as long as you update with the latest production firmware,  you've got an Infocast that's a Chumby 8 for all intents and puposes except for the initial splash screen--with the caveat being that not all widgets have been fully tested on a flashed Infofast->Chumby platform yet.

kwadguy wrote:

100Mb? I downloaded the update.zip from the link that MVS provided, and it's only ~39Mb.

It's at

http://community.insigniaproducts.com/t … td-p/30878

See the thread:

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=6565

This 100 MB is the whole thing, entire contents of the flash storage, item #1 in my list, not the update.zip which is item #2.

Cheers,
eastpole

eastpole wrote:
kwadguy wrote:

It's at

http://community.insigniaproducts.com/t … td-p/30878

See the thread:

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=6565

This 100 MB is the whole thing, entire contents of the flash storage, item #1 in my list, not the update.zip which is item #2.

Cheers,
eastpole

This is confusing. Is the 100mb image the same release as the 39mb image? Or is the 100mb image the Infocast image?

94 (edited by Raddle 2011-05-13 08:58:30)

Thanks, eastpole, that gives me some perspective.  I will check which version of CP, software and firmware I have when I get home.  I will probably stick with upgrading only the control panel, or control panel plus software for now.  Maybe one day when a new I understand better how to flash my Infocast with new firmware I will try that.

Interesting.... my Infocast was frozen this morning..... After a reboot, it had changed back to Infocast's control panel, when it was previously moded with tylerfixer's usb script on post 14....

Anyone having the same issue?

pete_c wrote:

Thanks Pete, this is very helpful for those of us who are totally new and don't get a lot of what's being talked about.

I've been getting lost watching some of the posts. I was initially hoping for someone to release a simple step-by-step to turning the Infocast into a full-fledged Chumby8 basically. Now I'm worried about the device reverting, or stuff not working and all. I guess I'll just wait and see what happens in the long run before I try to buy a 8" Infocast.

tenantfile wrote:

is it true that we can able to change the version c8??When I click on videos or music I don't see the internal 2GB card. I just see USB1 USB2, SD Card, and CF Card.

I also have this issue too, seems the 2gb internal card does not work... oh well
As I have said before I think the reason this does not work is because the chumby8 hardware does not have a 2gb card built in to it like the infocast 8 does. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, how exactly do I backup everything on my infocast. I was a little confused by pete_c post earlier @ post 53. Could someone explain in a little more detail on how to do this. And how would I go about restoring a backup?

Hey all,

not sure which forum to put this into, but I'll start here and y'all can re-direct me if needed.

I tried the trick here, and put the C8 software on my Infocast 8.  Now when it's up and running, it acts like a Chumby 8.  Very cool, I get the scheduled tasks.  Yay!

But...  would prefer to do more, so I am playing with doing some scheduling with cron.  I read elsewhere about certain events that you can send to the flashplayer by signaling.
http://wiki.chumby.com/index.php/Chumby … trol_Panel

I created a small test script "sendevent" to experiment:

#!/bin/bash
SUBSYS=$1
CMD=$2
PARAM=$3

echo '<event type="'$SUBSYS'" value="'$CMD'" comment="'$PARAM'" />' > /tmp/flashplayer.event
chumbyflashplayer.x -F1 >/dev/null 2>&1

Some events work great, for example:

./sendevent NightMode on 1
./sendevent NightMode off 1
./sendevent MusicPlayer setVolume 40
./sendevent MusicPlayer setMute on
./sendevent MusicPlayer setMute off

But the I would like to work is:

./sendevent UserPlayer play /mnt/storage/mystuff/rain.mp3

but no luck!

I am not sure what the problem is, and maybe it's because of my Frankenstein InfoCast/Chumby 8? 
Or maybe to get the UserPlayer commands to work I need to have the ControlPanel in a certain mode?

Any suggestions? :-)

99 (edited by MVS 2011-05-13 19:16:32)

kwadguy wrote:

So...It is my understanding that if you update the FIRMWARE, using the latest production firmware (not the development firmware), then reboot, the Infocast/Chumby will then automatically download the appopriate Chumby control panel update? This appears to be what MVS has said. So then, as long as you update with the latest production firmware,  you've got an Infocast that's a Chumby 8 for all intents and puposes except for the initial splash screen--with the caveat being that not all widgets have been fully tested on a flashed Infofast->Chumby platform yet.

Yes, exactly.

eastpole wrote:

You don't need the 100MB file to run Chumby 8 firmware on your Infocast.  All you need is update.zip.

kwadguy wrote:

This is confusing. Is the 100mb image the same release as the 39mb image? Or is the 100mb image the Infocast image?

The 100MB file is a disk image from a factory default Infocast (like one you would get by running dd on Linux).  You don't need it unless something went seriously wrong with your Infocast, rendering it unbootable.  The 39MB file is a firmware update for the Chumby 8, but it also works on the Infocast to get it to run the Chumby 8 software and control panel.

Nogard wrote:

I've been getting lost watching some of the posts. I was initially hoping for someone to release a simple step-by-step to turning the Infocast into a full-fledged Chumby8 basically. Now I'm worried about the device reverting, or stuff not working and all. I guess I'll just wait and see what happens in the long run before I try to buy a 8" Infocast.

Here are the steps to turn your Infocast into a Chumby 8.  Using this method, my Infocast hasn't frozen, reverted, or had any other problems so far, even after several reboots.

1. Go here and download the file mentioned directly under "updating with a USB flash drive".

2. Copy the file you downloaded (update.zip) to a clean USB flash drive.  Do not rename it, extract it, or put it inside any folders.

3. Turn your Infocast off using the power button on the back.

4. Plug the USB flash drive into one of the USB ports on the back of the Infocast.

5. Press and hold your finger on the screen, and without releasing it, press the power button to turn the Infocast on again.

6. Keep your finger on the screen until you are asked to calibrate the Infocast.  Finish that process, and you should see the Special Options screen.

7. Press the Install Updates button.

8. Press the Install From USB Drive button.

9. The firmware installation will now begin (the Infocast will reboot halfway through the process).  Be sure not to turn the power off or remove the USB drive until the installation is completely finished.

10. Your Infocast will now be running the Chumby 8 firmware, software, and control panel.

100 (edited by BoloMKXXVIII 2011-05-14 06:08:43)

MVS wrote:
kwadguy wrote:

Yes, exactly.

eastpole wrote:

This 100 MB is the uwhole thing, entire contents of the flash storage, item #1 in my list, not the update.zip which is item #2.

You don't need the 100MB file to run Chumby 8 firmware on your Infocast.  All you need is update.zip.

kwadguy wrote:

The 100MB file is a disk image from a factory default Infocast (like one you would get by running dd on Linux).  You don't need it unless something went seriously wrong with your Infocast, rendering it unbootable.  The 39MB file is a firmware update for the Chumby 8, but it also works on the Infocast to get it to run the Chumby 8 software and control panel.

Nogard wrote:

Here are the steps to turn your Infocast into a Chumby 8.  Using this method, my Infocast hasn't frozen, reverted, or had any other problems so far, even after several reboots.

1. Go here and download the file mentioned directly under "updating with a USB flash drive".

2. Copy the file you downloaded (update.zip) to a clean USB flash drive.  Do not rename it, extract it, or put it inside any folders.

3. Turn your Infocast off using the power button on the back.

4. Plug the USB flash drive into one of the USB ports on the back of the Infocast.

5. Press and hold your finger on the screen, and without releasing it, press the power button to turn the Infocast on again.

6. Keep your finger on the screen until you are asked to calibrate the Infocast.  Finish that process, and you should see the Special Options screen.

7. Press the Install Updates button.

8. Press the Install From USB Drive button.

9. The firmware installation will now begin (the Infocast will reboot halfway through the process).  Be sure not to turn the power off or remove the USB drive until the installation is completely finished.

10. Your Infocast will now be running the Chumby 8 firmware, software, and control panel.

I did exactly this and it is running perfectly.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.