Re: Running Chumby8 ControlPanel on the Infocast 8" - UPDATED

Hmm, I need to figure out how to make a full backup of my Infocast, but after I do, I plan on releasing a full Infocast to C8 conversion script.

The script should download/install the C8 firmware, and spoof the h/w version for all apps. For all intents and purposes, the device would appear to be a Chumby8.

Just gotta get a few things worked out first smile

Keep in mind I take no responsibility for whatever this will/could do to anything beloved to you, but the steps you could follow are below:

1. Flash infocast with chumby firmware per the instructions found here
http://www.geekgonenomad.com/2011/03/31 … -firmware/

2. Follow tylerfixers instructions on the first page of this threat to spoof the firmware (it is so incredibly important that you rename the flash drive "debugchumby")

3. done

53 (edited by pete_c 2011-05-03 06:18:22)

tylerfixer,

I just copied the 2 Gb microSD card over to an image using Linux.  (using "DD")

I wrote the image over to a 4 Gb microSD card (using "DD"). 

I deleted the fourth partition (using "getparted" and let the Chumby build a new one.)

The firmware update didn't wipe the applications and scripts that I had installed on the 4th partition (/storage/mnt).

I am still running an xpl hub and python script when the Chumby boots.

I also switched over to using a "wired" connection versus a "wireless" connection via an older style Trendnet USB to NIC interface a couple of months or so ago.

I tried changing the "branding" from "insignia" to "chumby" thinking that it would boot up with the "Chumby" logo but it didn't change the boot up.    None the less the firmware continues to run.

I think I may have a solution to allow the Infocast to update it's own firmware to the Chumby8 firmware.
It's a two-part trick...

Part 1:
Simple script that remounts / as rw then modifies the hwversion check to return 9.9 (or as specified in /psp/spoof_hwversion) and adds a /etc/hwversion_mod file.
Then that same script should force a firmware update check, and new firmware will be installed.

Part 2:
After the firmware update is done, an init hook in /psp will run and check for the existence of the /etc/hwversion_mod file. If it doesn't exist (presumably because of the firmware update wiping / ), it will re-mod the hwversion check then continue the boot process.

All of this could be accomplished by a simple debugchumby script that would put the proper files in the proper places, then kick off the firmware update. No messing with files or anything complicated for the end user.

I guess as per pete_c's instructions I'll just pop out my SD then dd backup it. If something goes wrong, I can always re-dd my firmware back. (I'm a little hesitant to mess with my alarm clock smile )

I bought an Infocast recently and like many others, found out too late that while the alarm is present and works, it can't play music as the alarm. Much as I like a klaxon first thing in the morning...  I've been lurking here for about a week, following the progress of the thread, and decided to take the plunge tonight. Between flavorfulbeet's 3-step instructions above and tylerfixer's spoof script on page 1, I now have a fully functioning Infocast -- with music alarm. Thanks for helping a newbie over the hump!

I too have been watching this thread for a bit! Thanks tylerfixer and all the others working with this concept.

I just bought my first Chumby-device over the weekend as I found the 3.5 Infocast on clearance. I have LOVED this device over the last few days I've had it and I badly needed a new alarm clock so it's been perfect.

I am still wanting to change to the 8" version if I can flash it to think it's a Chumby 8 with better alarms. I have no idea what I'm doing in terms of hacking so I'm quietly waiting to see if someone creates a simple quick full conversion and then I will likely pounce on a 8" before they are all gone!

I can't wait to see if this is possible soon. Thanks again to those working on this!

Tylerfixer and Pete_C, you are handcrafted human-shaped constructs, built entirely of awesome. Thanks!

58 (edited by goodjob 2011-05-07 18:30:19)

reneedlcrz wrote:

No, I haven't nor tried the flash thing yet on my Infocast 8. I'm waiting for browser to work or if somebody has any issues with the chumby8 control panel.

I read the post from Ken. But is that for the original Chumby 8 and not the Infocast 8 (Chumby 8 Control Panel)?

Everyone want's a browser on their Infocast 8 besides the Silverwing QT Browser Kit which needs a keyboard for controls.

Nobody has tried this yet officially on their Infocast 8 (Chumby 8 Control Panel)?

I confirmed that if you update your firmware and control panel, Ken's suggestion with Bcon does work. Can anyone explain how the other (c8) alternative browser is accessed?

flavorfulbeet wrote:

Keep in mind I take no responsibility for whatever this will/could do to anything beloved to you, but the steps you could follow are below:

1. Flash infocast with chumby firmware per the instructions found here
http://www.geekgonenomad.com/2011/03/31 … -firmware/

2. Follow tylerfixers instructions on the first page of this threat to spoof the firmware (it is so incredibly important that you rename the flash drive "debugchumby")

3. done

Actually, I just flashed my Infocast with the firmware from here instead of the development firmware from the wiki, and after installing, it downloaded control panel 5.0.29 automatically without needing the debugchumby script from step 2.  The Insignia screen is still shown at startup, but the control panel version persists across reboots.

I was wondering after you flash the infocast with chumby 8 firmware, If the infocast website where you can add widgets/manage settings etc on the pc will no longer work with the device?

thcrw739 wrote:

I was wondering after you flash the infocast with chumby 8 firmware, If the infocast website where you can add widgets/manage settings etc on the pc will no longer work with the device?

I can confirm this still works, you are still able to manage your infocast as before.

62 (edited by pete_c 2011-05-08 16:08:53)

I'm not really utilizing many widgets.  One though that I use is a bit problematic.  Not sure why though.

I use the ImageURL widge and while it works fine for pictures outside of my network; it quit working with my internal security DVR pictures.

So...It's not entirely clear to me. Is there now a way to fully flash the Infocast to a Chumby 8, at least for all practical purposes? (I.e. IDs itself as a Chumby, automatically updates as a Chumby, etc.)?

And if you do, can you register through the Chumby site, or through the Infocast site? (I would much prefer to rely on Chumby than on a BestBuy supported portal for an abandoned product).

kwadguy wrote:

So...It's not entirely clear to me. Is there now a way to fully flash the Infocast to a Chumby 8, at least for all practical purposes? (I.e. IDs itself as a Chumby, automatically updates as a Chumby, etc.)?

And if you do, can you register through the Chumby site, or through the Infocast site? (I would much prefer to rely on Chumby than on a BestBuy supported portal for an abandoned product).

A good question - I'd like to know the answer to the 2nd part especially.

As far as I know some helpful folks are still playing around with this. I'm hoping to see a post soon with a detailed step-by-step of doing just what you asked for in the first part of your question.

I followed the instructions in post #14 and it works great.  I noticed I have to disconnect power to force the reboot so that the script installs from the USB drive.  Also, if I power down, I have to reload the Chumby software.

I really like being able to schedule Night mode and to play music or an Internet radio station from the alarm.

I also want to mention I really liked the main screen on the Infocast, the one with the channels, etc. stacked on the left side.  I thought that was nicely designed.  But I won't give up the new Chumby features for the old interface.

Raddle wrote:

I followed the instructions in post #14 and it works great.  I noticed I have to disconnect power to force the reboot so that the script installs from the USB drive.  Also, if I power down, I have to reload the Chumby software.

I really like being able to schedule Night mode and to play music or an Internet radio station from the alarm.

I also want to mention I really liked the main screen on the Infocast, the one with the channels, etc. stacked on the left side.  I thought that was nicely designed.  But I won't give up the new Chumby features for the old interface.

Yeah, I am hoping for a solution that doesn't need to be reloaded if the power goes off. Last thing I want is for the power to go off for a few seconds during the night and my alarms all disappear.

I used the method in post #59 to convert my Infocast.  It worked great.  When the power goes off and on, it reloads the Chumby 8 control panel just fine.  I haven't tried alarms yet.

Plank wrote:

I used the method in post #59 to convert my Infocast.  It worked great.  When the power goes off and on, it reloads the Chumby 8 control panel just fine.  I haven't tried alarms yet.

Hey Plank:

So all you did was flash the firmware as described in the link provided at the end of that message by MVS and you have, effectively, a Chumby 8 (that stays a Chumby 8 between reboots)? Can you control it through the Chumby website, or is it still a Infocast as far as the web control of widgets/etc. is concerned?

69 (edited by pete_c 2011-05-11 12:50:58)

Once you update the Infocast firmware to the Chumby 8 ; it'll stay there. 

Its still seen though as an Insignia device with the Chumby FW.

In the last few days it has recieved a Chumby 8 browser update; I was prompted for the update and installed it.  Still some issues though; now the new update doesn't have any controls on it and about 50% of the time it just quits and goes back to the main screen.

I would personally though recommend that you back up the 2Gb microSD card to an image.  You can then take the image and write it to a 4Gb microSD card.  When doing so delete the 4th partition and let the Chumby create a new fourth partition.  For whatever reasons I have also made the 2nd and 3rd partitions larger; you don't really need to because the fourth partition will be sized right and you'll have a lot of space there.  This way if something gets messed up you can just rewrite the microSD card with the original source image.

I have a couple of scripts running "sans" external USB memory stick.  I just put them in the /mnt/psp/rfs1 directory.  They are just named "userhook0, userhook1, userhook2".  Note that this directory is not there by default and I created it manually.  The Infocast / Chumby8 start up though still looks there for some scripting.

Here is my rfs1/userhook0 script:

pete wrote:

#! /bin/sh
#!/mnt/storage/bin/python
# username@hotmail.com

echo "Chumby UserHook0 - RFS1 (pete)"

cd /mnt/storage/bin
xPL_Hub &
python xPLChumby.py &
rdate ntpserver &
/usr/chumby/scripts/fb_cgi.sh

When I updated the FW it did wipe out the /psp directory and I lost my script (and you probably would lose any alarm stuff there).  So I keep a separate copy and put them back in the subdirectory after the FW upgrade.

Pretty much anything your write in the /mnt/storage piece of the device will remain there with reboots.  (I am currently dimming the screen remotely from the home automation server at night via a running python script).

It looks like it created a backup psp directory when it did the firmware upgrade but it didn't keep the alarm stuff.  You could probably edit the "backup_list" file in the PSP directory to keep from losing the alarm stuff.

PunBB bbcode test

PunBB bbcode test

So...can someone explain to me:

If the Insignia device and the Chumby 8 are effectively the same hardware, then why is it that people are having issues once they flash to the Chumby firmware? What could be the source of those issues?

kwadguy wrote:
Plank wrote:

Hey Plank:

So all you did was flash the firmware as described in the link provided at the end of that message by MVS and you have, effectively, a Chumby 8 (that stays a Chumby 8 between reboots)? Can you control it through the Chumby website, or is it still a Infocast as far as the web control of widgets/etc. is concerned?

After flashing the Infocast, it remembered all of my channels,  I did not have to reregister.  I had to enter my password in Pandora. I have always managed my widgets throught the Chumby website and not the Infocast site.  So far the only difference I see in the software is the Insignia splash screen.  I have had no issues so far.

Plank wrote:
kwadguy wrote:
Plank wrote:

Hey Plank:

After flashing the Infocast, it remembered all of my channels,  I did not have to reregister.  I had to enter my password in Pandora. I have always managed my widgets throught the Chumby website and not the Infocast site.  So far the only difference I see in the software is the Insignia splash screen.  I have had no issues so far.

Interesting. So maybe the issue is: If you flash a virgin Infocast to a Chumby, or at least a Chumby never managed through the Infocast site, then you are problem free? Possibly?

kwadguy wrote:

The two sites actually share the same database, so you can use either one.  I created my account on the Infocast site, but I can use the same username and password to log in at the Chumby site and manage my Infocast from there.

Plank wrote:

Glad to hear that it worked for you, too.  I've been using the Chumby 8 alarms and scheduler, and both work great for me.

kwadguy wrote:

Interesting. So maybe the issue is: If you flash a virgin Infocast to a Chumby, or at least a Chumby never managed through the Infocast site, then you are problem free? Possibly?

I don't think that's the issue, since I had been managing my Infocast from the Infocast site and running Infocast firmware for nearly a year before flashing it to the Chumby 8 firmware.  My Infocast now works just like a Chumby 8, and I haven't encountered any problems.

I think the issue is with the firmware version.  The link I provided above is for version 1.8.3785, but the link on the Geek Gone Nomad site leads to version 1.8.3806, which is developer firmware.

MVS,

Let me get this straight, so you've flashed your virgin Insignia Infocast directly with a Chumby 8 firmware? And everything works fine just like Chumby 8?

Does the browser work with the BCON as per Ken's instruction?

Since the version that you provided is 1.8.3785, do you think Geek Gone Nomad site is better since it's a higher version of firmware 1.83806?

reneedlcrz wrote:

MVS,

Let me get this straight, so you've flashed your virgin Insignia Infocast directly with a Chumby 8 firmware? And everything works fine just like Chumby 8?

Yes and yes. smile

Does the browser work with the BCON as per Ken's instruction?

Yes, I just tested it, and it works.

Since the version that you provided is 1.8.3785, do you think Geek Gone Nomad site is better since it's a higher version of firmware 1.83806?

No, I'd recommend avoiding the 3806 firmware for the Infocast, since other users have reported problems with it (such as post #69).  It does have a higher version number, but it's a developer release that contains experimental code and most likely hasn't been through as much quality checking as the 3785 firmware.