Re: Running Chumby8 ControlPanel on the Infocast 8" - UPDATED

pete_c wrote:

A few months back rebuilt the microSD card migrating all of it to a 4Gb SD card.  (IE: just copied first three partitions to a new 4GB; leaving the 4th partition to be created when the Infocast 8" boots).

I ended up just running the script and it worked fine.  Initially I just renamed it to one of the hookfiles but couldn't get it to run.  (IE: /mnt/storage/psp/rfs1/userhook2).  I have other things starting with the first two userhook files just fine.

I can warm boot and cold boot and the new CP comes up fine without an external USB memory stick.

Yep, this script is a semi-permanent modification- no need to have it run at every boot, since it patches files in /usr/chumby/scripts the changes persist across reboots.

@anyone working on other scripts:
This script leaves a file in /psp/i8-c8mod. The file is there to tell other scripts (if it's needed) that your device is running with a different CP than stock Infocasts. The script will refuse to run a second time if this file exists (as a safeguard to prevent endless patching of the files).

@djchumby:
Is there any public place to see the changelog for the CP version for the C8 ?
Thanks!

The place to look for c8 release notes is here - for c1 look here.

Perhaps the easiest way to locate these in the future is to goto chumby.com, smack HELP and then look in the right hand margin for the SOFTWARE UPDATES links.

That being said, it seems we were remiss in updating the notes for CP 5.0.29 so I will ask the appropriate people to do so.

@djchumby:
Thanks much!

Yep, the new CP fixes the nightmode bug-- excellent!

I am not really a "techie" and have no idea what to do. I download the script, extract the files, copy the files to my SD card (also tried USB flash drive), put it into my Infocast, reboot, and NOTHING! What am I doing wrong? PLEASE HELP!!!

tylerfixer wrote:

Well, it's done!

Download the link below, unzip it to your memory stick in the root (you should end up with something like E:\debugchumby).

Reboot your Infocast8 with your memory stick plugged in, and you should see the normal boot sequence interrupted by a "Updating Software" image, then a blank screen, then the "Downloading Control Panel" screen and finally the Chumby8 interface.

This script adds a new hook to the download_cp script-- on boot your Infocast will now check for /psp/cp_hardware_ver. If that file exists, it will use its contents rather than checking the actual hardware version.

Please note, however, this does not spoof the hardware version to the widgets. I am afraid that if I spoofed the hardware version at a lower level, there is a possibility that the system could accidentally download and flash incorrect software (like accidentally flashing the Chumby8 firmware to the Infocast8, and I'm not sure how that'd go...)

To revert, just ssh in and issue "rm /psp/cp_hardware_ver".

This will NOT work on any other device besides the Insignia Infocast 8"!
Do not try this on any other device!

If you're not comfortable with the possibility of having to ssh in and fix your device if something goes wrong, don't use this script-- it modifies essential system files and if it doesn't work, you could be stuck having to reflash your Infocast.

With that said, here's the download link...
http://thecubed.com/chumby/i8-to-c8mod.zip

Good luck!

I am not really a "techie" and have no idea what to do. I download the script, extract the files, copy the files to my SD card (also tried USB flash drive), put it into my Infocast, reboot, and NOTHING! What am I doing wrong? PLEASE HELP!!!

dantemazzola wrote:
tylerfixer wrote:

Well, it's done!

Download the link below, unzip it to your memory stick in the root (you should end up with something like E:\debugchumby).

Reboot your Infocast8 with your memory stick plugged in, and you should see the normal boot sequence interrupted by a "Updating Software" image, then a blank screen, then the "Downloading Control Panel" screen and finally the Chumby8 interface.

This script adds a new hook to the download_cp script-- on boot your Infocast will now check for /psp/cp_hardware_ver. If that file exists, it will use its contents rather than checking the actual hardware version.

Please note, however, this does not spoof the hardware version to the widgets. I am afraid that if I spoofed the hardware version at a lower level, there is a possibility that the system could accidentally download and flash incorrect software (like accidentally flashing the Chumby8 firmware to the Infocast8, and I'm not sure how that'd go...)

To revert, just ssh in and issue "rm /psp/cp_hardware_ver".

This will NOT work on any other device besides the Insignia Infocast 8"!
Do not try this on any other device!

If you're not comfortable with the possibility of having to ssh in and fix your device if something goes wrong, don't use this script-- it modifies essential system files and if it doesn't work, you could be stuck having to reflash your Infocast.

With that said, here's the download link...
http://thecubed.com/chumby/i8-to-c8mod.zip

Good luck!

First things first:
Is it an Infocast 8" ? (Just had to get the obvious out of the way first)

Secondly:
As far as I know, the debugchumby script will only execute on USB drives. Try unplugging your Infocast, plugging in the USB drive and plug the Infocast back in and turn it on.

Another question- are you using a Mac or PC to put the script on your USB drive? OSX may put a file extension on the file, if it does, simply rename the file to "debugchumby" as opposed to "debugchumby.sh" or whatever it may be.

Good luck!

32 (edited by goodjob 2011-04-27 08:01:52)

tylerfixer wrote:

I think I may have figured out the most elegant method of spoofing the hardware version, but I want to make sure it's 100% foolproof before I release it.
My thought is to not spoof anything at all, but rather just change the CP download URL instead in the "download_cp" script, since spoofing the hw version by changing the "chumby_version" script could lead to other unintended side effects (like accidentally upgrading to an incompatible firmware image).

I like your mod, but it seems your fears have been realized for me. My DSL went down for a couple of days, so I turned the Infocast 8 off with the flash drive containing your script. My connection was reestablished this morning so I turned the Infocast 8 back on. While it was initializing, it did a firmware update. After it was done, I turned off the Infocast 8, removed the flash drive and powered up. The new Chumby 8 firmware (v5.0.29) is now installed. Don't know if I can go back to the original firmware, and if everything continues to work, I don't think I want to! smile

Does anybody know if the browser works on the Infocast 8 with the Chumby8 Control Panel? If it does, do you need a keyboard or mouse for the controls?

reneedlcrz wrote:

Does anybody know if the browser works on the Infocast 8 with the Chumby8 Control Panel? If it does, do you need a keyboard or mouse for the controls?

Have you tried the browser yet? I have not had the opportunity; found this post today from Ken:

"Web Browser controls have been included in the control panel as an Easter Egg - the feature is not currently officially supported...

To enable browser controls (from the home screen):
- click settings (wheel cog) -> Device Info -> Pi icon (upper-right) -> Bcon
- launch the browser from a widget that supports web browsing (google news, etc.)
- press the menu button to reveal browser controls!

Note that enabling of the browser controls does not currently persist across reboots.

We are actively improving the browser's capabilities, so you will see updates to the browser and/or control panel from time to time..."

No, I haven't nor tried the flash thing yet on my Infocast 8. I'm waiting for browser to work or if somebody has any issues with the chumby8 control panel.

I read the post from Ken. But is that for the original Chumby 8 and not the Infocast 8 (Chumby 8 Control Panel)?

Everyone want's a browser on their Infocast 8 besides the Silverwing QT Browser Kit which needs a keyboard for controls.

Nobody has tried this yet officially on their Infocast 8 (Chumby 8 Control Panel)?

goodjob wrote:
tylerfixer wrote:

I think I may have figured out the most elegant method of spoofing the hardware version, but I want to make sure it's 100% foolproof before I release it.
My thought is to not spoof anything at all, but rather just change the CP download URL instead in the "download_cp" script, since spoofing the hw version by changing the "chumby_version" script could lead to other unintended side effects (like accidentally upgrading to an incompatible firmware image).

I like your mod, but it seems your fears have been realized for me. My DSL went down for a couple of days, so I turned the Infocast 8 off with the flash drive containing your script. My connection was reestablished this morning so I turned the Infocast 8 back on. While it was initializing, it did a firmware update. After it was done, I turned off the Infocast 8, removed the flash drive and powered up. The new Chumby 8 firmware (v5.0.29) is now installed. Don't know if I can go back to the original firmware, and if everything continues to work, I don't think I want to! smile

Nope, it just downloaded the latest controlpanel, nothing to worry about. The actual firmware version won't change with this script- I made sure of it.

Leaving in your USB stick also wont hurt, since the script contains a check to make sure that the mod hasn't been done before. This prevents an endless loop of patching and repatching at every boot.

reneedlcrz wrote:

No, I haven't nor tried the flash thing yet on my Infocast 8. I'm waiting for browser to work or if somebody has any issues with the chumby8 control panel.

I read the post from Ken. But is that for the original Chumby 8 and not the Infocast 8 (Chumby 8 Control Panel)?

Everyone want's a browser on their Infocast 8 besides the Silverwing QT Browser Kit which needs a keyboard for controls.

Nobody has tried this yet officially on their Infocast 8 (Chumby 8 Control Panel)?

The web browser will not work (yet smile ) on the Infocast 8. This is because parts of the firmware on the Infocast would need to be updated first.

I've been running the C8 CP for the past week or so, and I've had no problems at all. I'm loving it!
Now if only I was a flash developer...

tylerfixer wrote:
goodjob wrote:

Nope, it just downloaded the latest controlpanel, nothing to worry about. The actual firmware version won't change with this script- I made sure of it.

Leaving in your USB stick also wont hurt, since the script contains a check to make sure that the mod hasn't been done before. This prevents an endless loop of patching and repatching at every boot.

Good to know, thanks for the feedback. I will check to see if the Silverwing QT Browser Kit continues to work from a USB stick since the control panel update.

I have done the cp8 update with the usb stick.  love the new look and operatioin.  I did notice a couple of things.

* i am not able to see or play music or photos from my network, can only get into the sd card or usb.
* the srs sound feature in the infocast is gone

40 (edited by klin 2011-04-28 08:35:07)

couple of things I noticed as well after the cp8 update.... compare with normal Chumby one

- "night sound source" is missing
- no pandora as a alarm source
- can't play alarm longer than an hour
- can't turn off snooze when setting up alarm

please confirm these are normal C8 limitations as well, not sure if it's Infocast hardware issue....

Alarm issues here also. When I get home (and figure out how SSH works) I will have to try the fix Tylerfixer offered in the Software forum:

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=6493

goodjob wrote:

Alarm issues here also. When I get home (and figure out how SSH works) I will have to try the fix Tylerfixer offered in the Software forum:

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=6493

What sort of alarm issues are you having? My script applies the fix before changing the CP version-- there is a possibility that the alarms file got corrupted though, but it would be good to know what sort of bugs you're experiencing...

43 (edited by goodjob 2011-04-29 19:51:02)

I was having problems with tasks and (wake to streaming radio) alarms not turning on when set.  However, further troubleshooting revealed that there may have been a problem with Shoutcast, not the Infocast.  I will research it further and post details if it is something I can not resolve.  Thanks again for your attention.

By the way, I did manage to rename "alarms" using SSH. It was good to refamiliarize myself with commands and syntax of Linux; something tells me I will be doing much more of that if I am to keep up with what is going on here.

Great hack tylerfixer,  it works and works quite well.  I was impatient and prior to stumbling on this thread flashed my infocast with the chumby8 firmware hoping it would pull down the new cp (most of the important specs seemed the same).  It didn't pull down the new cp, but did not brick my device.  I have since been running the insignia and chumby8 cp on the chumby8 firmware (making the switch back is not a problem either).   I have had no problems with any functionality (albeit the speaker seems to be slightly more quiet than before) in addition to a working browser.

An image of the device info:
http://i.imgur.com/E59Z2.jpg

The browser on reddit:
http://i.imgur.com/CXHO8.jpg

@flavorfullbeet

Interesting.. apparently the c8 firmware IS compatible. Weird, but awesome.
Another testament to the Chumby engineers!

Okay, well then I suppose I'll work on a full hw/sw spoof script to allow the widgets to think you're on hw version 9.9 (chumby8), which should allow some of the widgets that only work on the c8 to appear.

But here's my question-- ARE there any widgets that don't show on the Infocast with C8 CP vs the actual Chumby8?
Besides the browser and cp, I'm not sure what differences there are between the Infocast's stock fw and the Chumby8 firmware are.

If anyone has any input on this, please let me know, as I'd be happy to work on a full system spoofer if it would be of any use.

While I am able to use the browser there does not appear to be a widget for it (perhaps I am looking in the wrong places).

flavorfulbeet wrote:

Great hack tylerfixer,  it works and works quite well.  I was impatient and prior to stumbling on this thread flashed my infocast with the chumby8 firmware hoping it would pull down the new cp (most of the important specs seemed the same).  It didn't pull down the new cp, but did not brick my device.  I have since been running the insignia and chumby8 cp on the chumby8 firmware (making the switch back is not a problem either).   I have had no problems with any functionality (albeit the speaker seems to be slightly more quiet than before) in addition to a working browser.

An image of the device info:
http://i.imgur.com/E59Z2.jpg

The browser on reddit:
http://i.imgur.com/CXHO8.jpg

so how did you do it,  I want to run the web browser to be a simple home automation interface,  if they dont yet have it as an app, then how are you getting to the browser?  I saw a post about using a news app and then the menu but is this the only way?

also, if you do this change, will you have to register again as a chumby 8? will it update from there automatically?

I accessed the browser through the ycombinator and reddit apps and am unsure of other ways to get to it.  I did not have to re-register my infocast (still have the same crappy name).

flavorfulbeet wrote:

I accessed the browser through the ycombinator and reddit apps and am unsure of other ways to get to it.  I did not have to re-register my infocast (still have the same crappy name).

I meant how did you load the chumby operating system and cp into the infocast?, can you give us newbies a step by step?

50 (edited by pete_c 2011-05-02 23:05:43)

flavorfulbeet,

Great news.  I gave it a try and works well.  I noticed too that it also saved my old aps that were running on the Infocast.

Browser works well.  I was able to get to my Home automation server via the google application.

Home Automation Browser Window