Topic: Sony Dash apps can only be uploaded via Sony?...

Since April 1 Sony's server (at least the developer facing server) has apparently been malfunctioning. As a result, there is no way to upload apps to the Dash...

Since Chumby hosts Sony's application server, is there a any way via Chumby to slipstream .swfs to the Dash? If not are there any working hacks to use the USB port on the Dash?

Over on the Dash site one thread points out that between March 16 and March 23 all private apps were disabled. Even more reason for a mod/hack. Unfortunately, the term "hack" appears on the Sony site exactly twice by my count

I'm pretty sure the answers are no and no but, the Chumbians would know for sure...

Re: Sony Dash apps can only be uploaded via Sony?...

You should be able to upload your widgets to Chumby's site and use them on your dash.

I see the chumby website lets me manage my Dash, but it doesn't seem to sync to my Dash.  Is there something I need to do to get it to sync?  The Facebook Photos app only seems to work from chumby, not the dash specific site.

We're made some recent changes in cooperation with Sony.

They are now entirely separate systems, with their own databases and accounts.

From now on, you'll need to manage your dash using Sony's site, not the chumby site.

Bummer, is there any chance that their widget customization will get fixed?  It works great from Chumby.com but from dash.chumby.com the device authentication always fails.

I think this is still in transition - at some point, dash.chumby.com will go offline entirely, and you'll have to use www.sony.com/mydash (which currently redirects to dash.chumby.com).

-- Duane

So until that transition we won't know if we can add the Facebook Photos app? sad

Probably - however, it's out of our hands.  You'll need to go through Sony to get it worked out - we don't have any more access to their systems than you do.

9 (edited by WildwoodLodge 2012-01-12 15:22:23)

This is unfortunate as I have both a Chumby 8 (at the office) and Sony Dash (at home) and have up until now been managing both devices under a single (Chumby) account such that both display the same content. It now seems that I will be unable to continue to do this :-(

For a couple of weeks I have been trying to understand why some apps I had added were showing on the Chumby device but whatever I did with the Sony it refused to sync to the latest line-up.

This evening I have tried to remove the Dash from the Chumby web account - however when the Dash device is slected from the device drop down the "delete" option is greyed out - so I cannot do so.

I then tried to add the Dash to my (thus far) empty Sony account - but the Dash insists that it is already registered and does not display a registration code. If I try to "unregister" it (from the Dash's device information screen) this repeatedly fails just resulting in the WiFi connection being reset.

How do I get out of this apparent catch-22?

I really would like to continue to be able to manage content for both devices on a single account!

Thanks

Chris.

Unfortunately, single account management isn't going to happen any more.

Sony is now running an entirely separate system from Chumby's.

Sony Support should be able to help you.

I posted a similar message to Sony at the same time. It was rather constrained in the detail I could provide due to a silly 450 char limit they impose and all I got back was a useless cut-and-paste response telling me to do what I had already unsucessfully tried! Sony support pales into insignificance compared to yours.

I'll try again with Sony but any tips very gratefully received. Are you able to unregister the device as it is currently registered through the Chumby account? I can re-register it through Sony's database and hopefully continue to use it. At present I have a device frozen with the current app configuration and unable to be changed!

Thanks

No, unfortunately, we can't.  Sorry we can't be more helpful.

Duane,

It looks like we are screwed on the Sony Dash. Here is the email I got today:

Dear dash(TM) developer,

Thank you very much for your interest in the development of applications for the Sony dash(TM). Beginning February 29, 2012, the Sony dash(TM) developer website (http://dash.sonydeveloper.com/

) will close and no longer support development of new applications. This closure includes the dash(TM) developer forum and dash(TM) developer support email address (dash-support@sonydeveloper.com) which will close on March 31, 2012. Sony dash(TM) applications will remain available. Thank you for your contributions and we encourage you to continue your development activity on Sony's other platforms available at SonyDeveloper.com.

Again, thank you very much,

Team dash(TM)

Apps keep getting dropped and now in the near future you can't post new apps. It looks like Sony wants to kill the Dash.

Is there any way to hack the Sony Dash so it will use the Chumby site instead?

rentfrow wrote:

Is there any way to hack the Sony Dash so it will use the Chumby site instead?

No.

I was all excited about my new Dash as well thinking it used both apps for Chumby as well as Sony-specific ones, but I too just got that email.

What I'm wondering (and I think the above touched on this too) is once Sony brings that area down, does that mean we'll never be able to add Chumby apps to our Dash anymore? At all?  No one seems to be able to answer that.  Here they say 'See Sony' and Sony just says the dev portal is going down but doesn't say anything about what happens to Dash devices and users abilities to use them.  I mean they're the same apps (for the most part) as Chumby, so we know apps will still work.  But the Sony dev portal was the only way to upload them for the Dash.  Now that's going away.

Again, can anyone answer this question: Will new apps uploaded to Chumby now be available for the Dash now that Sony's dev center--the only previous way to upload apps for the Dash--is going the way of the dodo?

The two systems are now completely separate.

When the Sony system was split out, what happened was that the entire widget catalog was cloned at that time, and all accounts that had a dash device registered were also cloned.  Widget developers also had their accounts cloned - however, if they did not have a dash, the idea was that they'd have to go through some steps to enable those accounts , since they would need to accept Sony's TOS.  It appears that they have decided to drop support for developers, so that issue is probably moot.

So, uploading apps to the Chumby site will have no effect on dash devices.

Chumby is not in a position to tell you much more than that - as a Sony dash user, you are *their* customer, now more so than ever.

17 (edited by MarqueIV 2012-01-31 14:08:01)

That's what I was afraid of.  Glorified paperweight.  I just ordered a Chumby 8 instead.  Stinks its a bigger unit (I liked the Dash's form factor) but what can ya do!

Bigger problem though... I can't log into my Chumby account.  Been writing support for weeks now.  Haven't received one reply except the automated one.  So now, I can't use the Dash *or* my new 8!  Even the 'retrieve password' link goes to a broken page.  Says to answer one of two questions, but there is no first question, just a place for an answer (to what?!) and the second one, the birthday, is telling me my birthday is wrong!

To try and get around this, I went to the new account sign-up page and looked at all the questions, thinking I'd try each 'correct' answer in the retrieve page, but no matter what you type for an answer, you're redirected to a page that says 'Sorry! This page does not exist!' (yet I'm looking at it!  Oooooh... Creeepy!! wink

I even tried logging in with my Sony Dash credentials since you say the accounts were cloned (not sure if both ways, but figured I'd check but alas, didn't work either.

So whatsaguy gottado to get some support 'round here?!!

Help!!!

Hmmm, I'm not aware of any issues with new account creation, but I'll check into it.

Can you email me (through the forum) the username of your existing account?

Just confirming what I wrote... that shouldn't be a new account.  However, I did create a new one today using my email as the username since I can't access the account that has the actual username.