Topic: Got Mine Today!

Well, tonight just happened to be the night I was gonna get "serious" about working on a couple projects around the house.  That was, until I saw that my Chumby was delivered a day early!

Love the packaging, the feel of the unit, interface, etc., etc.  I played around with a couple standard widgets on my virtual chumby before my real one arrived, but when I got serious about adding more to my channels-- WOW, there are some awfully cool ones.  Big thumbs up on just about every aspect of the device-- design, functionality, endless possibilities to name a few.

A couple things, however: 

-Mine had a dead pixel which thankfully only shows up on some black screens (is there any technique to get it back in order?). 

-Also, when I touch the screen, even gently, the middle area warps a bit, like the lcd crystals are getting squeezed-- is this normal, or is there any potential for damage?  I cringe whenever some clueless co-worker of mine touches my LCD monitor at work, so it sorta freaks me out whenever I see that happen.

One other question: is there any way to play mp3's on the device from a usb thumbdrive without using an ipod?  I read about the alarm trick, but I'd like to be able to play a variety of songs at will.  I may try streaming music from Slimserver if I can figure out how to configure/run it on my Ubuntu machine.

Overall, big thumbs up.  Looking forward to getting a lot of use out of this thing.

Chumby birthdate: 10/11/07

Re: Got Mine Today!

My Chumby also has that spot in the middle of the screen when you touch it. The screen seems really tough to me and I am not going to worry about it.

Sorry I can't help with more of your questions.

God does not care about our mathematical difficulties; He integrates empirically.  ~Albert Einstein

Derspiess.... I noticed mine was warping a bit too, but it seems to stopped once the chumby got up to core operating temperature. That is, it was cold on my porch, and when I plugged it in, and by the time it warmed up to its fairly warm state, it seemed to have stopped.

I agree Tux. The little chumby seems quite durable.

shoe

Thanks-- mine still warps a bit even after it has warmed up.  I could probably get used to it if I get confirmation that it's not an issue.  I've just never had a touch-screen device do that on me before.

My wife, who in the beginning could not understand what the chumby is & why I wanted one, seems to be warming up to mine.  She was watching old cartoons on it this morning smile

How was she watching old cartoons on it ?

God does not care about our mathematical difficulties; He integrates empirically.  ~Albert Einstein

Via the "archive.org Video of the Day" widget, under the "Video" category.  Has some really old Bugs Bunny episodes & some others.  She was watching Betty Boop smile

The video stuff is really cool, and I hope the video widgets grow further.  Just wish you could configure the youtube widget to pull in certain categories, or even a specific list of videos.