Topic: NFS on the 8" Infocast

Does anyone know for sure if NFS client is present in the Infocast? I have been trying to mount a nfs share on the Infocast and keeps coming back with "Protocol not supported"?
I believe the chumby supports it.

Thanks
RS

Re: NFS on the 8" Infocast

Hmmm, not sure - type "cat /proc/filesystems | grep nfs"

Duane wrote:

Hmmm, not sure - type "cat /proc/filesystems | grep nfs"

Comes back with
nodev nfs
nodev nfsd

So looks like nfs is available as a client? I just looked at the config using /proc/config.gz and looks like nfs support for version is built into the kernel for Ver 2.
So tried mounting
using the -o nfsvers=2 option and it comes with a "mount: mounting 192.168.0.178:/mnt/cache on /mnt/nfs failed: Input/output error"

Same share using another linux box works without  a problem.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

4 (edited by pete_c 2011-03-07 14:53:46)

Personally I could not get it to work by cmd line so I wrote a small script to map out the share network drives.

I also had no issues with the Linux boxes on the network; just the NT boxes.

Here is the script.  You can do a copy a past it to your "debugchumby" USB dongle to have it start with the Infocast.

I copied the original "virgin" image from a new Infocast to a 4, 8 and 16 Gb microSD card.  From this DD'd image I wiped out partition #4 and let the Infocast build a new partition when first booting; so most of my "stuff" sits on the 4th partition. 

I've been mostly adding to the /mnt/storage partition lately more than the USB dongle drive.  (reference the great Panel builder application posted here).

Using this application I've been able to control some of the functions of the Chumby remotely and can add more HW functions building up the scripts some.  Note here I am using cifs and it should work for you too.

#/bin/bash
SERVER_IP="shared IP"
SHARE_NAME="share name"
USR_NAME="username"
USR_PASSWORD="userpassword"
DOMAIN="domainname"
mount -t cifs //$SERVER_IP/$SHARE_NAME -o username=$USR_NAME,password=$USR_PASSWORD,dom=$DOMAIN /mnt/storage/pics

Pete,

Is this for CIFS or NFS, from the script it looks like CIFS? Am looking for NFS shares.

thx
RS

pete_c wrote:

Personally I could not get it to work by cmd line so I wrote a small script to map out the share network drives.

I also had no issues with the Linux boxes on the network; just the NT boxes.

Here is the script.  You can do a copy a past it to your "debugchumby" USB dongle to have it start with the Infocast.

I copied the original "virgin" image from a new Infocast to a 4, 8 and 16 Gb microSD card.  From this DD'd image I wiped out partition #4 and let the Infocast build a new partition when first booting; so most of my "stuff" sits on the 4th partition. 

I've been mostly adding to the /mnt/storage partition lately more than the USB dongle drive.  (reference the great Panel builder application posted here).

Using this application I've been able to control some of the functions of the Chumby remotely and can add more HW functions building up the scripts some.  Note here I am using cifs and it should work for you too.

#/bin/bash
SERVER_IP="shared IP"
SHARE_NAME="share name"
USR_NAME="username"
USR_PASSWORD="userpassword"
DOMAIN="domainname"
mount -t cifs //$SERVER_IP/$SHARE_NAME -o username=$USR_NAME,password=$USR_PASSWORD,dom=$DOMAIN /mnt/storage/pics

rs1936,

Never checked to see if an NFS share would work with the Infocast.  I set an NFS share up with the Freenas box today and tested to see how it worked with the Infocast using the docs relating to the Chumby 1. 

It didn't work for me.  I'd be interested if anyone is using NFS with the Infocast.

We'll take a look.

Pete,
Thanks to your tip about the script I did get CIFS working so I atleast have a working solution till we figure out why NFS doesnt work.

RS

pete_c wrote:

rs1936,

Never checked to see if an NFS share would work with the Infocast.  I set an NFS share up with the Freenas box today and tested to see how it worked with the Infocast using the docs relating to the Chumby 1. 

It didn't work for me.  I'd be interested if anyone is using NFS with the Infocast.

I'd also love to see an NFS client working on Silvermoons. Sometimes the hardest aspect of using a great embedded platform is getting stuff on and off it!

Duane wrote:

We'll take a look.

Any new thoughts on an NFS client, Duane?

From as far as I can tell it looks like a new kernel *(with nfs v3 support), and possibly new busybox *(with mount nfs support) should do the trick.

Now to figure out how to compile a kernel, and I'll be set.

chiluk wrote:

From as far as I can tell it looks like a new kernel *(with nfs v3 support), and possibly new busybox *(with mount nfs support) should do the trick.

Now to figure out how to compile a kernel, and I'll be set.

It is on the chumby wiki, scroll down untill you see "hacking linux for chumby"

no need to recompile the kernel if you can live with NFSv2 (which I don't see why not for a home network).   Since there is no lockd running, you'll have to mount as follows (which works for me):

chumby-29-53-95:~ # mount -t nfs -o nolock -o vers=2 192.168.0.10:/data /mnt/nfs

(make sure to mkdir /mnt/nfs first).

Compiling a kernel isn't difficult either, as if you were to type "gcc" for the first time, it'll download the toolchain for you.   What it means is that it will download and install gcc, make, and other build tools for you into /mnt/storage.   The guys even made sure to have /mnt/storage/bin in PATH and /mnt/storage/lib in LD_LIBRARY_PATH so stuff just works.   I just compiled rsync and it built cleanly without any issues.  I did build the kernel once, but forgot the step where I had to write the kernel image to the first partition on krnA and krnB using config_util.

Didn't recompile since I figured NFSv2 support will do for now for me.

Thanks desidude2000, I had tried vers=2 before without luck, apparently I was missing the -o nolock. 

Now I have a new problem.  How do I get the Chumby control panel to search my nfs mount?  Is there a trick, like mounting it on /mnt/storage/nfs?

can you try mounting it on either /mnt/nfs or /mnt/usb?  (/mnt/usb will probably trick the box into thinking you inserted a jump drive into the infocast, so that might do the trick).