Topic: New 3.5" Infocast, horrible touch screen!

I'm a new owner and member here, been looking at Chumby for a while to use as an alarm clock, but just couldn't justify the expense... until the 3.5" Infocast went on sale for $40 right after Christmas!

Overall, it's nice, but a PITA to set up or do anything on.  The touch screen is plain horrible.  I'm not sure how people use it at all.  It's very difficult to select anything on the screen, and when setting alarms it's near impossible to use the on screen keyboard to change the name.  I know I'm used to a great touch screen since I own an iPhone and my wife has an iTouch, but this isn't just OK, it's downright bad.  Is this normal, or did I get a bad one?

Re: New 3.5" Infocast, horrible touch screen!

There are two common touchscreen technologies out there - resistive and capacitive.

The iPods use a capacitive screen - they tend to be more expensive and tend to be best for highly interactive devices.  The downside is that they can't be used with gloves or simple stylus.  It works by detecting the position of your finger when it changes the electrical characteristics of the screen.  You generally have to use the pad of your finger to get it to work.

The resistive technology is less expensive, and is more common in less interactive devices, and was very common with older PDAs that typically used a stylus.  A resistive screen is actually two thin membranes - when you press, the two membranes touch and the position is determined by measuring the altered resistance of the membranes.  The smaller the touch area, the better, which is why many resistive screens use a stylus - when using your finger, you should use the point of your finger or a fingernail.  If you use the pad of your finger, you end up mashing down a large area and the device can't really tell where you're pressing - it would be like trying to write your name with a sponge.

People that are used to one technology often find it tricky to use the other.  Having used chumbys a lot, I initially found my iPod Touch tough to use since I would try to use my fingernail to no avail.

So, the bottom line is - use the tip of your finger or fingernail to use the touchscreen,  It's also very important to calibrate the screen carefully, again, with a pointed object or fingernail.

Thanks, I'll try recalibrating and using my nail.  I'll post back the results.

I found, too, that the initial calibration always yielded bad results, especially noticable toward the bottom of the screen.  The second calibration always solved this problem for me.

5 (edited by roryhawke 2011-01-01 21:52:55)

Soloz2 your post illustrates the problem perfectly. It took a price drop from 100 dollars down to 40 dollars to get you to purchase the device. Now had insignia elected to put the capacitance screen on the unit it would have raised the price by a noticeable amount I'm sure and we might now be seeing sale prices of 99 dollars on the unit which would have still left you on the fence. iPhone screens are terrific, but they don't exist on 40 dollar gadgets.(unless they are being subsidized by a monthly fee with a contract.) I too find the touchscreen less than optimal on this small device (especially trying to get to the extreme corners) but I would rather deal with this small problem on an affordable unit that have to sit around and listen to all my friends tell me how cool their new 299.00 Infocast is and not be able to purchase one.