Re: Chumby One Update

kabatronix wrote:

tell me if i´m wrong and the old id can be found somewhere inside the chumby file system or in the depth of the mentioned website....

hmm?
i would go back to the old software here:
software update archive

but i never tried to update to an old version.... just try.

Improvements And Fixes
Updated FM Radio UI with presets(4 presets.)
Added international support for FM Radio
Added alarm configuration for FM Radio
Updated "My Music Files" (USB music) UI
Updated alarm configuration for My Music Files
Added Skip/Unskip Next Alarm functionality to Night Mode and Alarm Configuration
Fixed alarm issue on time/date
Fixed issues with backup alarm when adjusting system time/date
Changed brightness sliders to full range for both day and night mode
Fixed mute on alarm volume slider

These are the updates that have been updated on my chumby.I've checked them all...I think the update is not bad.

@ john connor

this update seems to be a piece of crap since it gives you coloured glas pearls for the price of compromising essential functionality for no reason:

backup alarm? fail!
searchtube?    fail!
id-integrity?     fail!

communication? fail!

but please read your own posts and think over "..is not bad" a second time...

@ ratzfatz

just put searchtube back online, please. even if i have to downgrade my chumby.
hordes of users will test and prove it to be perfect at last as they did before when:

@duane

you kicked and moved some ass at your office to get our crippled chumbies back to perfection as we have been used to.

and thanx for your extreme fast response and co-operation with ratzfatz in this special issue in advance!!!

cu

kabatronix, well, unfriendly but honest good old european, no stop, just fix it! smile

“youstreams and searchtube are by no means some more widgets, but THE widgets/apps that probably SELL chumbies especially outside the us.”

Perhaps within a certain age or lack there of and demographics…

Been reading all the nastiness...

Sheesh…some of you folks sound like this is Chumbygeddon….it’s just a glitch is all and Duane et al are working on it you know?

Chumby is an entertaining and a sometimes useful gadget, but if your life –is- “Chumby”, then…sorry… you ain’t got one.

Take a breath and wait for the update.

Dis me if you like, but it don't change the truth.

Respectfully,
PlugNickel (nobody who knows it)

PlugNickel wrote:

“youstreams and searchtube are by no means some more widgets, but THE widgets/apps that probably SELL chumbies especially outside the us.”

Perhaps within a certain age or lack there of and demographics…

Been reading all the nastiness...

Sheesh…some of you folks sound like this is Chumbygeddon….it’s just a glitch is all and Duane et al are working on it you know?

Chumby is an entertaining and a sometimes useful gadget, but if your life –is- “Chumby”, then…sorry… you ain’t got one.

Take a breath and wait for the update.

Dis me if you like, but it don't change the truth.

Respectfully,
PlugNickel (nobody who knows it)

Hear! Hear!  Right on. Chumby will fix what is broken. And will add some more change management processes in the future. It's a great little company with a great big open-ended product. And that kind of opportunity for all of us is simply not always easy to support with limited resources. So the more we buy, the better things will be for all of us!

YaleGreenTyme wrote:

Chumby will fix what is broken. And will add some more

i also hope that the missing support for german umlauts will be integratet.
for all applications with text it is very difficult to read.

32 (edited by joltdude 2010-11-21 08:18:48)

The problem with the chumby is that there are users who expect it to be able to do everything and do it well out of the box.. They expect it to have *MORE* features and stuff than when they bought it... Personally I think Duane and his fellow coworkers have been relentless at trying to make the chumby a useful and stable environment for applets/glanceable/ambient computing... It even seems they have some fresh new people looking at the Alarm/Clock/Time subsystems.. As for what it doesnt do, there is some limitations on the hardware/memory/storage, esp while trying to keep the Classic compatible with the One... but theres been an effort to try to get things to work smoothly and correctly and people just seem to be never satisfied with them doing *enough* If this was cisco or someone else, all these updates would have a fee attached to them to do more than what came out of the box.. Due to some peoples comments theres a few things they would like to do but cant or have to workaround.. People should be more like.. it would be nice if, and not *EXPECT* something be added... People also dont seem to get that they are trying their damnest to keep the gates open and not end up like a Sony Dash.... though it comes with a slight price of being a closed environment. The day you pay for apps to be added to the chumby, or pay for an apps development then you can start making demands.. and I dont mean just buying the hardware.

joltdude wrote:

They expect it to have *MORE* features

not more -  but the existing features which worked fine a few month ago.

it was sold with an existing fm-radio.
but it did not work for all the time ago. yes this feature is working now..... BUT. since then the existing features (correct Chumby-ID, video-support for searchtube, perhaps other things i do not know) are not working.

also the promissed feature for video-podcast (it was promissed by the support of mediafly almost a year ago. i do not know why they told this, but i think this thing could be done) is not working at this time.

so the easiest way is to correct all the errors and integrate all the promissed features.

Chumby has never claimed to support video podcasts on the small device now or in the future - they're simply not capable of it.

I don't know what Mediafly might have claimed.

Duane wrote:

Chumby has never claimed to support video podcasts on the small device now or in the future

does this mean it will never be possible?
a few weeks ago video like searchtube was possible.

Duane wrote:

I don't know what Mediafly might have claimed.

is there contact between mediafly and chumby especially about this point?

The device can support the playback of *some* video - typically video created for mobile device profile in Sorenson Spark and On2 VP6 and stored in an FLV container.

SearchTube exploits the fact that much of the video on YouTube is available in those formats.

To the extend that many people are encoding video in the desktop profile, or in formats such as H.264, those aren't supported.  We have no idea what any given blogger is using for any given video, so we make no claim to support the arbitrary case.

Mediafly is mostly a directory - in most cases they don't host the video, so they have no more control than we do.  However, they *could* examine the target video and filter out those feeds that are not compatible.

There my be discussions between Chumby and Mediafly on this topic - I'm not party to them at this stage.

Hi,

after the recent update I have following problems:
1. Chumby one is in night mode
tap screen once -> nothing happens
tap screen twice -> screen gets black
tap screen third time -> show widget of current channel

2. Alarm is set to display channel
-> Alarm switches to black screen

Does anyone know how to solve this issues?
Are they known or have been observed before?

38 (edited by kabatronix 2010-11-22 01:33:37)

ups,

some chumby consuments are obviously really upset about the latest cp complains for reasons not obvious.

well guys and girls, here i will repeat in clear words what the problem is:

the latest update corrupts widely used features that worked flawlessly before.

period.

the purpose of this forum is to discuss issues related to chumby products to help making good products even better.
this includes criticism.
criticism is about facts (cp-bugs) not politeness (pc-bugs).

got it?

ok

so please just post your problems with the latest update to get it going again.

otherwise if you are honestly completly satisfied with the latest cp you´re better off with facebook
clicking some "liked to me"-buttons...

thanx for your co-operation though wink

kabatronix

PS: Ü Ö Ä Please big_smile

39 (edited by anatmavada 2010-11-22 00:06:53)

I still raise the question, if Chumby is a one man show?

Yes you have sales all over the world, but without integration of Umlaut and UTf8, Spain, France, Portugal, Mexico, Germaine, Belgium and much more country can simply not use the Chumby.

The German Sentence:
"Grüne torpedieren Roths Olympia-Pläne"

is displayed as

"Grrrpedieren Roths Olympia-Pl"

That makes no sense in Twitter, Facebook, E-Mail and in any RSS Feed.

The cheapest Chinese peace of crab can handle UTF-8 but Chumby is not able to support a standard each mobile phone does when you writing a SMS. Basic Mp3 Tag  Support was missing for years, and the integration of special characters is a basic must have functionality.

This actual software update for the Chumby One is ridiculous because the ID bug  was well known. All the hundreds of YouStreams and SearchTube user's you just cut off of the Radio Stations, Playlists and Podcasts.

Nothing against you Duane, but is there a Software Team behind you?
Or is all the programming made after your regular working hours?

Language Support and a Updated Keyboard should be one of the main priority's, specially when 25% of the US citizen speak Spanish.

And if Chumby is just a one men show, many of the members on this forum are willing to help coding or to do beta testing. But there should be a official statement of Chumby Industries with a road map and industry standard software development and testing.

spunk_ wrote:
joltdude wrote:

They expect it to have *MORE* features

not more -  but the existing features which worked fine a few month ago.

it was sold with an existing fm-radio.
but it did not work for all the time ago. yes this feature is working now..... BUT. since then the existing features (correct Chumby-ID, video-support for searchtube, perhaps other things i do not know) are not working.

also the promissed feature for video-podcast (it was promissed by the support of mediafly almost a year ago. i do not know why they told this, but i think this thing could be done) is not working at this time.

so the easiest way is to correct all the errors and integrate all the promissed features.

Last I checked Chumby, Duane is dead right, it has never claimed to support youtube/youstreams or searchtube or video at all..

So that video in general was never promised by Chumby Inc.

They fixed the FM.. it was a shortcoming.. and there was a lack of UTF8 in the original Chumby Classic since there (at the time) wasn't enough room for it (if i read correctly)... Doesn't mean they might not used the forked Chumby One build and add it. But your also running into a backward compatibility issue..

In some ways I think Chumby wasn't quite ready for world release, because of a lot of unanticipated things.. But people shouldn't *expect* perfection, esp when something goes from being a selelct few countries to worldwide.. And this analogy to a cellphone.. Do you know most phones have regeon specific firmware to handle character issues?

Personally.. I dont remember reading anywhere that said Chumbies were designed for mexico/spanish and were intentionally multilingual.

kirkox wrote:

tap screen third time -> show widget of current channel?

I can confirm when the chumby one is in night mode it is not straightforward to get it out. Hitting the top button doesn't seem to do anything either - hit it a few times, touch the screen and it comes good.

kirkox wrote:

tap screen third time -> show widget of current channel

2. Alarm is set to display channel
-> Alarm switches to black screen

I see the same issues and find them quite irritating.  The single noticed feature for me was the "skip alarm" feature which is awesome, but I don't know if it's worth it.

Another observed misfeature is that the screen automatically goes blank at some point during the day.  I haven't figured out why, exactly, but I noticed it over the weekend several times.  I do have a 9am "blank screen" alarm for the weekdays, but I don't think that's what's triggering it during the weekend since I was getting out of bed after 9am.

Oh yeah I almost forgot to mention, when an alarm goes off I have to press the button twice.  Like the "night" screen, it eats the first press.  Maybe there's an invisible screen in front of the night screen that needs to be dismissed, that sticks around when the alarm is sounding?

Finally- something that I've never liked is that silencing the "backup alarm" turns the alarm off and appears to reboot the unit.  I'd prefer if the alarm stayed "armed" (maybe snoozed again) until I actually told the thing, "ok ok I'm getting out of bed now."  This was especially bad when the Chumby got disconnected from the network (router problems, now fixed!) and my alarm was set to stream Pandora.

Just to get the discussion about the update running...

Spunk, anatmavada, kabatronix, ratzfatz etc. are definitely right. Having a running FM radio is nice, but that is something every bloody clock radio can do. US users might be fine with Pandora, Heart radio, but outside the US the missing internet radio was a strange issue for a computer powered internet device. Shoutcast helped, but having the search function every time you wanted to change a station and giving the fact that the major European networks are not on Shoutcast limited its use. Ratzfatz did a great job when creating an application which added a WLAN radio function for internet radio stations with a “station button” function, he even added a well working alarm function for this widged – so this was a must have!
Searchtube was a great app too, chumby users could access youtube and store their favourites.  After the update everything has gone! Well, not just these ones. Other apps simply crash the chumby now (e.g. the dawn app), others have been removed for that reason (several ones who make use of video play).
Duane and everyone at Chumby industries: can you understand why some users are quite a little bit unhappy now? I think Chumby users are tolerant about existing design flaws BUT – having an “update” which you cannot avoid and which destroys your favourite apps (and the work of busy programmers like ratzfatz) should not happen (especially since you were told about the ID issue in advance). I´m not sure if this is related to the update but since then I  need to reboot the Cumby nearly every day to keep it alive, meanwhile I placed the old clock radio near the bed to be on the save side...
I don´t understand why correcting FM reception could cause all these problems.
So PLEASE correct something or make an “upgrade” to the old version – that worked at least.
Thanks, jason143

I certainly understand how updates can have problems, and the complex relationship between hardware vendors and applications developers, but there's something really out of tune about this situation with the latest OS update.  I had a demo all set to go -- hopefully to sell a bunch of Chumby units -- that featured the use of SearchTube. 

Now suddenly -- POOF! -- SearchTube is removed/withdrawn and goes into limbo after the latest OS update reportedly breaks it.

I'm not sure whether to categorize this situation as growing pains, failure to communicate, confusing appliances with toys -- or what?

Has anyone tried to roll back to a previous version of the software?  I've decided that it's time to do so; this update breaks so many things that it's just not worth using.  Indeed, I'm really bummed that I had "autoupdate" turned on now.  sad

Is the procedure relatively easy?  I mean, should it be as simple as copying the software to a USB stick and booting with it inserted?  I don't really want to screw around with "and then ssh into the Chumby and do sudo ..." if I don't have to.

One thing strange/interesting is that the versions at the above link jump quite a bit; the dashboard went from 1.03 to 1.07.  I can only imagine how bad the intervening ones were if they're no longer available.  sad

We've just release Control Panel 2.8.73, which should address the YouStreams ID problem.

We'll also be releasing a beta Control Panel shortly to address many of the alarm issues.

Control Panel Beta v2.8.74 has been released!

Please go here for the release notes and instructions on downloading

My older chumby classic will only download 2.8.72.  Do I need to install 2.8.74 with a usb key?

Yes, that will work - I'll also try and get it out as a beta on classic as well.