Topic: Multiple Chumbys - Separate Channels?

I know this is probably a dumb question, but I couldn't find an answer by searching, so...

I have two Chumby devices - a Chumby Classic and a brand new Insignia Infocast.

Are the channel "line-ups" for each device separate?
Right now, it seems that when I add a new channel or change the apps in a channel on one Chumby,
the change is also reflected on the second Chumby. Is this the expected behavior?

Also, a question about channel naming and deleting:
On my Infocast, I currently have 3 channels: Clocks, New Channel, and BestBuy.
When I go to the "manage the channel" screen on chumby.com, the first two channels have all options
active ("add a channel", "delete channel", and "rename channel").
The BestBuy channel (I renamed the Default channel) only has "add a channel"; the other options are disabled.

Any explanations would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Multiple Chumbys - Separate Channels?

Channels are separate from devices, just like TV channels are separate from TVs.

Multiple devices can show the same channel, or different devices can show different channels.  Any modification to a channel will be reflected on every device that's set to the same channel.

There's always one "default" channel, which cannot be deleted - that assures that a chumby device attached to an account will be guaranteed to show *something* - if you delete a channel that's currently assigned to a device, that device will be automatically switched to the "default" channel.

On the Best Buy product, it appears that this default channel is called "Best Buy".  On "normal" chumby accounts, it's called "Default".

Duane wrote:

On the Best Buy product, it appears that this default channel is called "Best Buy".  On "normal" chumby accounts, it's called "Default".

Great info!
So that is why I am not seeing that (and I assume the "Clocks" folder too) since I set up my Infocast via the Chumby site and not the Insignia products site.
Thanks again, Matt

Duane,

Thanks for the explanation of channels vs. devices.

I'm still confused about the "BestBuy" channel.
I understand about not being able to delete it, since it originally was the "Default" channel.
However, I was able to rename it using the Infocast screen, but I can't do it on the chumby.com site.

When I get home this evening, I'll check to see if I can rename it on the Infocast.

Yeah, there may be some slight differences in functionality across the various sites.  When the current chumby site was created, I'm pretty sure it was required that the default channel actually be called "Default", but I think that restriction has been lifted, but the site does not reflect that change.

burkhardi wrote:

So that is why I am not seeing that (and I assume the "Clocks" folder too) since I set up my Infocast via the Chumby site and not the Insignia products site.
Thanks again, Matt

Is 'Clocks' a channel the OP set up? Or is it an Insignia channel?

steelpaw wrote:

"Clocks" is a channel that I set up, not an Insignia channel.
The BB8 comes with just the "Default" channel.

As an aside, some of the larger "flip clock" and analog clock apps look really good on the big screen!

@ebsebs
I thought there was not a "Default" channel on the BB8 if you did the initial  set it up via Insignia's site and it was called "Best Buy" verse "Default (unless you use the Chudmby site for the initial set it up like it did).

@steelpaw
This is not the the first post that I read where someone talks about a "Clocks" folder on the BB8 (as if it was a preset folder) and why I assume this. I even looked for it when I got my BB8.

ebsebs wrote:
steelpaw wrote:

"Clocks" is a channel that I set up, not an Insignia channel.
The BB8 comes with just the "Default" channel.

As an aside, some of the larger "flip clock" and analog clock apps look really good on the big screen!