1 (edited by coinchon 2010-05-12 05:26:22)

Topic: Chumby one for broadcasters

I purchased a chumby one to look if it could be used as a development platform for broadcasters for hybrid broadcast/internet radio.

General comments:
- it's a very nice device, I like it and the price is fair.
- sound quality is fair considering the size of the device.
- FM receiver is not good (in Europe)
- User interface is good and responsive but I realize that iPhone users are lost when they see no response when trying to change application by sweeping fingers on the screen like on an iPhone.
- Open hardware and software is really cool and can enable broadcasters to develop their own applications for radio.
- SSH access is excellent, easy to use and great for testing, debugging.

More technical comments:
- FM radio software needs big improvements. Looking at the source code from previous version, things could be changed starting from frequency steps (100kHz in Europe) and pre-emphasis.
- I cannot find the source code of SW 1.0.4. I would like to modify chumradiod and chumradio files and do testing around.
- This device has a great potential for a radioDNS application (see http://www.radiodns.org). The principle of RadioDNS is to gather the RDS code when listening to an FM station and then make a DNS query with this code to receive associated content to the radio one listens to (slides, electronic program guide, tagging).

Adding a generic tuner to tune to free to air digital radio and digital TV programs (in Europe DAB, DAB+ and DVB-T) would be great but I am not sure the hardware can cope with it.

I am keen to promote it and do further development on it.