Topic: Chumby won't find networks anymore

My Chumby will not find any networks anymore.  If I manually enter a network I get the following messages:

rausb0 device not found
rausb0 interface is down
rausb0 link is down
failed to obtain ip address
chumby.com is unreachable

Any thoughts on how to fix this, if it is possible to fix.  Thanks.

Re: Chumby won't find networks anymore

Contact Customer Support directly - according to those messages, the wifi dongle is not working at all.

That could mean it just came loose.

On the panel of the network wizard where you choose the access point, what was the MAC address (it looks like 12:34:56:78:90:12)?

Mac address is all zeros.  Guess I will call cust service.

Here is a solution to your problem that you disconnect all the connection and restart it and try with manual option.Try it will surely help.

I have the same problem! Were you able to find a solution or did they send you a replacement?

I have a similar problem in that the Chumby will no longer display any WLAN SSIDs. It used to work reasonably well (with the usual problems actually getting connected) but since tonight my WLAN doesn't even show up in the selection screen any longer, nor do the others in the vicinity. I didn't change anything on my WLAN router, and my laptop, which is sitting next to the Chumby, has no problems getting connected.

I do see the Chumby's MAC address on the WLAN selection screen, and if I plug in an USB WLAN dongle (an MSI US54SE II) and reboot the Chumby, nothing changes except that the dongle's MAC address is displayed instead of that of the Chumby's internal WLAN card. If I enter the correct SSID manually, the Chumby just sits there »Scanning for access point ...« and nothing happens.

What could be going on here?

I reset the Chumby to factory settings and now it seems to work again.

Very same problem.
Used to connect fine
Same MAC address all zeros
No Wifi networks show up on screen - not usual network or different networks
USB update didn't help, resetting to factory settings did not help.

Anybody able to find a solution?

Ben

You'll need to contact Chumby Support.  The wifi card is either loose or defective. 

Chumby Support:
http://www.chumby.com/pages/help_support

-Sam

@anselm : how to reset to factory settings ? .

xiloa wrote:

Reboot the device, but touch the screen when you power up.  It should then boot into "special option" (like "safe mode" on a PC) and there will be an option to restore factory settings.

Duane wrote:
xiloa wrote:

Reboot the device, but touch the screen when you power up.  It should then boot into "special option" (like "safe mode" on a PC) and there will be an option to restore factory settings.

Thanks.
That s OK now.
strange failure.

i have meet the same problem. good advice. mabe it will be a good advice.

cici1240 wrote:

i have meet the same problem. good advice. mabe it will be a good advice.

Please contact customer support at http://www.chumby.com/pages/help_support and we'd be happy to assist you.

bfmstanford wrote:

My Chumby will not find any networks anymore.  If I manually enter a network I get the following messages:

rausb0 device not found
rausb0 interface is down
rausb0 link is down
failed to obtain ip address
chumby.com is unreachable

Any thoughts on how to fix this, if it is possible to fix.  Thanks.

The problem is that the "/psp/network_config" is broken (maybe it's empty) and "/psp/network_configs" could be also affected.

It can be fixed without a reset to factory settings by pluging-in an USB keyboard and use the console to remove /psp/network_config

rm /psp/network_config

and /psp/network_configs

rm /psp/network_configs

Explanation:
The ap_scan script will not scan for AP's if "/psp/network_config" exists and is not a valid XML file.
I don't know why the network config is broken and i don't really understand why the script dies if the file is not valid, but this script works also as start_network and maybe there is a conceptual mistake because this ap_scan script should rather help you to create a new network config if no valid config exists.