1 (edited by jbens 2010-03-06 03:46:58)

Topic: Alternative for "Chumby RSS Reader"?

I have used Chumby for a couple of days and wonder why there does not exist a more advanced version of RSS reader (only the one produced by Chumby). Instead, there are a lot of RSS viewers for spesific sources or blogs (such as BBC sports RSS -widget).

**I would love to see these missing options in a general RSS reader:

- Set or alter timer for news items (how many seconds to view one item)

- Select mode of viewing news: "headlines only" vs "headlines and  news content" (one reason is that there exists some local quality newspapers which do not view the actual content but headlines)

- Support umlaut characters (eg. ä,ö,ü) in RSS feeds

**And from the viewpoint of user friendliness:

- Some subtle indication of when the news item is changing, e.g. a fade, a blink of empty page (sometimes it is confusing to read a news when it is changing; when the eyes are doing a movement while reading, called saccade, it can not perceive well whether something has changed)

- The ability to change background colour for each RSS seed (I know there is topic text, but the bg colour would be very rapid and intuive to notice the source of feed - even at large distance)

- Smaller icons and more space to actual news/content

- More advanced  and economical ways of utilizing a small screen: perhaps an ability to scroll the news feed (topic and news) and not only view one item per screen, or viewing multiple topics at the same time, perhaps even scrolling them from right to left (one can easily spot interesting topics and words at one glance) and to view the tapped news item in more details

An nice addition would the the ability to read from multiple sources within one widget.

What do you think about these?

Re: Alternative for "Chumby RSS Reader"?

jbens wrote:

thats the most important thing.

because all umlauts are interpreted as a command to "jump" forward a few signs so often a word is missing, but sometimes the whole article is empty.

3 (edited by jbens 2010-03-07 02:13:14)

Re: Alternative for "Chumby RSS Reader"?

Actually agree with you, this bug should be corrected.

However you could try some online RSS combiner/mixer to fix this. I use Feedcombine - you can enter only one url, and Feedcombine is so smart it does the chars conversion correctly.

spunk_ wrote:
jbens wrote:

thats the most important thing.

because all umlauts are interpreted as a command to "jump" forward a few signs so often a word is missing, but sometimes the whole article is empty.