26 (edited by bkchumby 2010-02-19 10:29:22)

Re: chumby One beta firmware

I just did "restore factory defaults" on my updated chumby per above.   I still see the ntp.conf file pointing to /var/lib.

How can I tell for sure I have the new firmware?  I assume so because the alarm will now exit in the case w/ pandora and allowing it to play past 30 minutes.  How do I ensure full factory reset?  It did ask me for network keys again. I did NOT have to register again (not sure if that is normal).

chumby:/psp# head /psp/ntp.conf
# $Id: ntp.conf 464 2008-09-08 16:53:19Z henry $
# Default config for ntp utils on Chumby Industries platforms
#
# Use pool.ntp.org servers in rotation

driftfile /var/lib/ntp.drift

also, I notice a /psp/hostname file.  Is it possible to get dhcp client to send that to the server?  Much better then "[unknown]"

Thanks!

after more than one day:

content of drift-file:

here is mine.  Still not sure why factory reset didn't move it to /psp/...

chumby:/var/lib# cat ntp.drift

Am I correct in assuming that the creation of ntp.drift is not essential to the clock fix anyway? it's just showing you how much the drift is?

bkchumby wrote:

here is mine.  Still not sure why factory reset didn't move it to /psp/...

I was wondering about that too - Updating the firmware did kill my radio streams and my alarms file but it didn't fix this either. Weird. I actually thought it had done a full reset as I lost some stuff from cgi-bin as well.

Anyway, when the new beta is available, I will load defaults first and then load the new firmware.

DonnaG wrote:

Thanks! - I missed that important detail.  Installed without a problem.  Now if that will fix the lockups and time drift problems, I'll be happy!

Yeah. Don't worry - it caught me too.

OK after a few hours I now have the ntp.drift file

currently -173.505

I edited ntp.conf to point to /psp/ntp.drift

My ntp.drift says

$ cat /var/lib/ntp.drift

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

36 (edited by bkchumby 2010-02-23 15:31:18)

I edited the ntp.conf file and now getting a drift file so ntpd is running.

It still seams the clock is running fast.  Almost 15 seconds after 8 hours.

Edit - I take that back. Once I edited the ntp.conf file and rebooted - it started tracking atomic radio watch quite well!!!

Does this beta fix the local widget problem described in:

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=4380

chumby:~# cat /psp/ntp.drift
chumby:~# ntpq -p
     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
==============================================================================
+rrcs-64-183-56- .GPS.            1 u  249  256   77  113.013  -16.558   4.340
+squeak.bytestac 209.51.161.238   2 u  195  256  377   57.679  -14.583   2.639
*ntp0.broadinsti .GPS.            1 u  131  256  377   20.570  -17.095   1.821
-tantalum.srvcs. 69.36.224.15     2 u   10  256  377   99.790   52.836  19.009

chumby:~# cat /psp/ntp.drift
chumby:~# ntpq -p
     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
==============================================================================
+dns2.iseek.com. 202.83.64.3      3 u  441 1024  377   36.132   -0.618   0.800
+ntp.central-dat 203.161.12.165   3 u  438 1024  377   68.995  -15.002   0.459
-ns.creativecont 202.83.64.3      3 u  325 1024  377   33.890  -50.413  12.518
*pond.thecave.ws 18.26.4.105      2 u  702 1024  377   71.548    8.920   0.031

I'm still seeing drift of a few minutes after a week or so of running the beta firmware.  What is the verdict on this software?  Does it need more work or is it going to make its way into production?

DonnaG, the drift isn't harmful as long as the actual time reported in apps matches up with the rest of the world... I think they just wanted to measure that to see just how far off the internal clock gets over time.  The NTP refresh keeps correcting for that drift on a daily basis.

So does the Chumby automatically adjust to Daylight saving time on March 14??? (with old Firmware? and how bout with beta firmware?)
I am still running the regular "old" firmware version. So will I have a 1 hr problem on March 14?

Madefl wrote:

to Daylight saving time on March 14??? (

28.March!

and if time and date is adjustet with NTP it will automatically be set.

spunk_ wrote:
Madefl wrote:

to Daylight saving time on March 14??? (

28.March!

It's March 14 for the United States and March 28 for the E.U.

45 (edited by spunk_ 2010-03-04 12:02:21)

Obnates wrote:

It's March 14 for the United States and March 28 for the E.U.

why do you switch earlier over there? <hehe> not just to jump much earlier into summer <hehe>

Congress changed it a couple of years ago -- pushed it up earlier in the year and later in the fall.  Part of the Energy Policy Act of 2005.

Obnates wrote:

Congress changed it

ah...thanks.

here (in germany) every year 2time there is a discussion because there is no effect for energy visible.
for me i just would let summertime (because of more daylight in the evening) and delete wintertime.

I live in Indiana (in the US) and we used to not recognize Daylight Saving Time.  Arizona and Hawaii are now the only two states that don't -- Indiana changed several years ago.  I liked not changing clocks and didn't think it really made a difference, but I guess I haven't studied it as much as some of the so-called experts.

The chumby will automatically switch between standard time and daylight saving time based on the timezone files that were included in the firmware at the time of that firmware release.

However, there are typically 5 to 10 updates to the timezone files per year, more frequently than we update firmware, so it's possible that some zones might not transition if a region doesn't give sufficient notice.  In almost all cases this isn't a problem since most municipalities give ample notice, on the order of years, before a change actually takes effect.

The most notable exception is Australia, which has several states that change their timezone rules very frequently, often with extremely short notice, so many embedded devices have difficulties.

We enjoy the thrill and confusion that results when some devices in the house change their time on one day and others unexpectedly change a few weeks later, after they've been altered manually. big_smile
It also makes interstate travel an exciting voyage into the unknown.
This is all just a prelude to the eventual introduction of 'AusTime', a government plan to make Australian time completely incompatible with all foreign timekeeping devices, and thus boost local manufacturing.