Re: USB Photo Widget script installation

csw_71107313 wrote:

Hello,
I am new to both flash and script, but I am quite interested this USB Photo Widget.
Would you please explain the function of this script, and how the flash calls this script,if it does.
Thank you so much

Hi csw_71107313,
    I noticed elsewhere that you are interested in loading a photo from a server. If this is all you want then you don't need a script as Flash can load an image from any server that has a policy file - this is a file that tells flash that its okay to use the content.

The reason I use a script is that I want to load content that is sitting on the chumby (on the USB stick). The script basically runs as a CGI program on a small local web server on the chumby and responds to calls like http calls getfilelist, getfile etc.

Hence only need script if content is local. But if your content is on a remote server you will need a policy (cross domain) file.

Hope this helps.

cheers

Nigel

smile smile smile

Actually you don't need a policy file for JPEGs, only for SWF movies and XML.

28 (edited by NigelS 2010-07-27 15:01:49)

Duane wrote:

Actually you don't need a policy file for JPEGs, only for SWF movies and XML.

Duane,
     thanks for the correction - i didnt know that.

cheers

Nigel

smile smile smile

Hey NigelS, I have a few days old chumby one and came across this post before I saw your USB Photo widget in the chumby apps page. Please add a link to the widget also in this topic.

Thanks for this excellent widget which saves me bandwidth. A few questions:
- is it possible to change the blue color of the screen when I have portrait photos or photos which are not in the 4:3 aspect ratio? I prefer black, the blue is too eye-catching.
- is it possible to make this whole thing offline? I mean, plugin a usb stick with photos(and other files) and boot the chumby to start playing the photos without any access to the network.

30 (edited by NigelS 2010-08-02 02:41:14)

rubpa wrote:

Hey NigelS, I have a few days old chumby one and came across this post before I saw your USB Photo widget in the chumby apps page. Please add a link to the widget also in this topic.

Thanks for this excellent widget which saves me bandwidth. A few questions:
- is it possible to change the blue color of the screen when I have portrait photos or photos which are not in the 4:3 aspect ratio? I prefer black, the blue is too eye-catching.
- is it possible to make this whole thing offline? I mean, plugin a usb stick with photos(and other files) and boot the chumby to start playing the photos without any access to the network.

Hi rubpa,
    Glad you like the widget. In answer to your questions

1. Add link to post - done (a good idea)
2. Change background to black - done 
3. Offline is not possible sorry - all widgets rely on underlying Chumby infrastructure.

cheers

Nigel

smile smile smile

Thanks a lot Nigel especially for the black background update. I hope the other users don't mind it.

The link in the first post is pointing to USB Music! Anyway, it helped me find your other widget. smile I'll try it too...

rubpa wrote:

Thanks a lot Nigel especially for the black background update. I hope the other users don't mind it.

The link in the first post is pointing to USB Music! Anyway, it helped me find your other widget. smile I'll try it too...

OOPS - fixed

cheers

Nigel

smile smile smile

I've posted some data comparing the bandwidth usage of this widget with picasa here: Photo widgets - bandwidth comparison. Thanks Nigel for the bandwidth saver! smile

rubpa wrote:

I've posted some data comparing the bandwidth usage of this widget with picasa here: Photo widgets - bandwidth comparison. Thanks Nigel for the bandwidth saver! smile

rubpa,
     thanks for the feedback - your most welcome.

cheers

Nigel

smile smile smile

First, thanks for the hard work to make this possible - it's appreciated!

My question is this - since there is a "mv" command in the script, moving form the /usb directory to a "local" directory, is the USB stick only required to load the photos?  Or is it necessary to view them at all times?

Thanks again!
soren

soren42 wrote:

First, thanks for the hard work to make this possible - it's appreciated!

My question is this - since there is a "mv" command in the script, moving form the /usb directory to a "local" directory, is the USB stick only required to load the photos?  Or is it necessary to view them at all times?

Thanks again!
soren

Hi soren,
     in answer to your question - havent had a look back at the script but the mv is incidental - chumby doesnt have much storage so all streaming occurs directly from the USB stick. Hence you need to keep the USB stick in the chumby - at some stage I will probabaly do a lan (shasre) version but its probabaly a little while off.

cheers

Nigel smile smile smile

This might be a dumb question, but how do I get USB Photo to stop showing the intro screen with the typed out status information?  Thanks

bcollett wrote:

This might be a dumb question, but how do I get USB Photo to stop showing the intro screen with the typed out status information?  Thanks

bcollett,
    sorry you cant - its hard coded - even if you could you would still have to wait for the first image to load so its sort of a gap filler.

cheers

Nigel

smile smile smile

Hi, just got the Insignia 3.5" infocast tonight and found the USB Widget. I'm having a slight issue though many of my pictures won't display. They are all JPG files and while some of them display fine, other don't work and it says "Loading Problem Skipping Image". Any ideas what the issue is? I'm stumped.

I am trying to install this on my Infocast 8" and unable to get any success. I unzipped photosinstall.zip, which created two files, debugchumby and photos.pl.

I transferred these two files on USB and rebooted the Infocast. Then I tried to run USB Photo app. But I still get that blue screen telling me to install the scripts. Looks like that script is not getting installed. I have tried many times. But same result.

Does this app work for 8" Infocast which has two USB slots.

Any help will be useful.

taju wrote:

I am trying to install this on my Infocast 8" and unable to get any success. I unzipped photosinstall.zip, which created two files, debugchumby and photos.pl.

I transferred these two files on USB and rebooted the Infocast. Then I tried to run USB Photo app. But I still get that blue screen telling me to install the scripts. Looks like that script is not getting installed. I have tried many times. But same result.

Does this app work for 8" Infocast which has two USB slots.

Any help will be useful.

I have an 8 in Infocast and this app is not needed.  I just put my JPEG photos on the USB flash drive and selected the USB port on the Dashboard.  The photos were displayed and I didn't have to add anything else to the flash drive.

CardiffGiant11 wrote:

Hi, just got the Insignia 3.5" infocast tonight and found the USB Widget. I'm having a slight issue though many of my pictures won't display. They are all JPG files and while some of them display fine, other don't work and it says "Loading Problem Skipping Image". Any ideas what the issue is? I'm stumped.

Same here. First, I put the upzipped files on a usb drive, plug in, reboot. App not even show up in control panel. Next, add the app from chumby online, reload, and saw the app in control panel. Not working. With the usb drive in place, reboot. Still not working. Any thoughts? Thanks.

43 (edited by qciowa 2011-01-01 08:19:59)

Interesting. Whatever I have done, this USB widget is suddenly working now.

>> Ok, figured it out. Reboot with your media in the USB port. That's it.

Happy New Year to all. Cheers!

Hi, I just installed Chumby 8 software on my Infocast 8 and the only feature I miss is the slideshow of pictures from usb/sdcard as an app. I tried the instructions on the first page, but nothing happened. I didn't see any "installing script" message (or anything like it). Furthermore, the app displays an "Error loading file list" message and just keeps the black screen with "Loading filelist" without displaying any pictures. The files are all .jpg and work fine on the normal slideshow; the usb stick is FAT32 formatted. How can I fix this since it is the only thing stopping me from enjoying my device?
Thanks!