Topic: configuration of the chumby one when it's a wireless router ?

I've been tinkering with the chumby one and added the start_ap magic file. I thne plugged in a USB ethernet dongle. The result was the chumber became a wireless router. I had expected it to be an access point but it went further - creating it's own subnet, gateway, and DHCP.

Is this configurable anywhere inside ?

BTW - very cool feature :-)

Re: configuration of the chumby one when it's a wireless router ?

Eventually, perhaps.  That's an easter egg we snuck in there in the hopes that we would be able to make it more configurable.  The idea would be to have something like /psp/network_config, but for an access point instead.  So you'd be able to set the SSID, encryption mode, and subnet.

Currently it's hard-coded to create an open AP called "ChumbyFW" that shares your primary network connection.  Interestingly, if you plug in a USB ethernet dongle and connect via wifi with start_ap connected, it'll share your wireless connection over wired.

I'll see if we can't add some configuration for the next firmware version.  That feature has come in handy before, but it's still firmly in the realm of "unsupported" smile

Supported or unsupported, it's one of the coolest features I've found. I now take the chumby when I travel because it let's md listen to pandora and have a wireless connection for my laptop and iPod in the hotel.  Chumby rocks!

Hi,

A quick question about the Access Point functionality.  Does it set up ad-hoc wireless connections or does it function in infrastructure mode?  Some of my wireless devices don't easily support ad-hoc connections. 

I really like the idea of being able to set-up a wireless access point with just a Chumby and my 3G phone (Samsung Omnia).  I was really pleased to discover that my Chumby One picks up a network connection from my phone via USB without any modifications.

Dan

It sets it up in master mode, where it actually creates a bonnafide AP.  So since your c1 picks up a network connection, if you turned on AP mode, you would have yourself a mobile 3G AP.

Fantastic!

I've just tested this fully using my 3G Omnia connected via USB and I was able to connect my laptop wirelessly to the access point established by the Chumby.  What a great feature! 

It would be great if the AP settings were configurable via a script like network_config.  I also tried connecting a Nintendo DS to the AP, but couldn't get a connection which I'm guessing is because the DS requires a mixed b+g network setting.

Dan

Does this only work on the Chumby One or can it also be done on a Classic?

-HuckFinn

This is great.. would love to see the configuration added to the control panel, or at least a quick checkbox to switch this mode on and off without having to delete the file to disable it (know the reboot is necessary but one checkbox in the cp and a reboot and its turned off/on)

Actually use this to extend my poor wifi reception in one room of my house.. have to use the chumby over wired and now i can share it with a squeezebox in the same room. Swear that room is lined in lead somedays..