Re: Possible to always have time showing?

Duane wrote:

The ultimate "easter egg", of course, is that the device is open enough that with sufficient skills and cleverness, one can make it do anything one wants within the restraints of the hardware.  Ironically, that may be *more* frustrating to those without the skills, since the Holy Grail Chumby is there but just out of reach.  If the device were closed, then one could at least be comforted that there's nothing that could possibly be done.

Your entire post was very well said, but I especially like this post.  That's how I feel with the flash based nature of making the chumby useful without tons of extra engineering effort.

I'm a software engineer, linux guru, but cannot get going with the flash stuff... Kinda off-putting for me to actually "develop" for the chumby.  Instead, I tinker with things like kernel proc entries to control my chumby remotely.  I might post on this some day soon when my code is cleaned up and I have everything ready to stick on a USB stick for people.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

27 (edited by ibap 2009-12-13 18:53:34)

Hmmm.  As far as I can tell, the textsize parameter doesn't actually do anything.

Is there a similar easter egg available to display the Title line from the /var/run/btplay.properties file?  That would be great!

ibap wrote:

Looks like today's update fixed this.

Thanks!

Anybody realizing that it is broken again?
My chumby (classic) with CP 2.8.49 has the same clockoverlay.xml over the last months, but the display is rendering the wrong thing: now its displayed as if nothing has been specified.

Any solutions or reports about trouble with this?

PS: My line (to display it on the lower right) is:
<overlay format='%e.%m.%G %T' x='155' y='215' width='165' height='25' textsize='18'/>

Yeah, I'm looking at this - some other folks have reported similar problems.

OK. I've found this bug, and am releasing the fix to QA.

Duane wrote:

OK. I've found this bug, and am releasing the fix to QA.

*WOW*, that was *fast* :-)

Thanks a lot!

should this be working now?  i get the same default clock format in my chumby... (chumby one)

qa666 wrote:

should this be working now?  i get the same default clock format in my chumby... (chumby one)

Same here - but I didn't notice that any new control panel came out (even no beta-Version).
But would be good to know *when* this will be official....

Yours
   Grumpftl

um, so i'm new at this and i started screwing around with the overlay. It's in the upper left hand corner like everyone is saying on my Chumby One. It's getting a little annoying now (lol) and the worst part is I can't make it go away. I put in rm /psp/clock_overlay.xml but it just says that no such file or directory exist. Please help me. :$

the file is  /psp/clockoverlay.xml  (not with underscore)

37 (edited by Plank 2010-10-04 08:50:33)

Thanks for this helpful thread.  Having the time on the screen is great!  I am no coder but I figured out how to put a minimalist  time and day on the lower left corner.  This might save someone some effort:

echo "<overlay format='%l:%M %P %a' x='5' y='210' width='115' height='25' textsize='17'/>" > /psp/clockoverlay.xml ; killall chumbyflashplayer.x

Using the below code,  is there a way to have the text always centered (instead of left justified) WITHIN the overlay? 

echo "<overlay format='%l:%M %P %a' x='5' y='210' width='115' height='25' textsize='17'/>" > /psp/clockoverlay.xml ; killall chumbyflashplayer.x

Hmmm, no - I'll see if I can add centering as an attribute.

40 (edited by Thomas_Lerman 2011-02-20 21:42:06)

It seems the

killall chumbyflashplayer.x

is requited to get the overlay to show up. This might be helpful in the Wiki. Is there another way to have it re-read the file instead of killing it?