Re: Chumby One

Well lets see.

Network outage? No digital audio comming in from anywhere.
Natural disaster, wide area network outage....the need to be able to tune FM can be important.

There is a lot of good radio out there if you poke around.
The new digital hybrid stations have the ability to transmit multiple channels now. So tuning your favorite oldies station might also give you access to the AM traffic station. Regardless. FM radio is a rather cool medium. The advent of new digital broadcast technologies  Has improved the audio quality to a place on a par with CD's and albums, You can hear the pops and clicks from records.

While FM radio may not be your thing. There is no doubt that it has value. There is also no doubt to me anyway that no new radio sold on the market should be without the ability to detect and monitor the new digital Hybrid
Radio signals. The "extra" cost is minimal and the benefit is  huge.
Within 3 years analog only FM radios will NOT be sold on the market. One other thing. The receivers  in the new generation of chips are AMAZING I mean AMAZING. They are extremely sensitive and allow for monitoring of stations (FM) 100 miles away. With no static.
Put one of these chips in a chumby and you open a whole new market.
Yaesumofo

gregf wrote:

"Nothing special about the FM other than that it is available for those who still love it -- speaking frankly, I'm not even sure why anyone would care much about this "

To get a local station, in the morning to get traffic reports.

A Chumby in hand is worth 20 in the Wherehouse.

I'm not sure where you're getting this pricing information from.  Presumably we should be seeing sub $20 HD radios at retail if this were the case.

Apparently, iBiquity charges a $50/unit license fee just to include HD receiver support, on top of the chip cost.  I think the fee is still there, but clearly negotiable since Best Buy now has a $49 receiver on the market, however, we're not Best Buy, so it's unlikely we'd get similar terms.

Note that a chip simply being available isn't enough - we also need to have the ability to create drivers under the appropriate licenses to include them in the operating system.  Quite often we'll disqualify a part because the vendor will either not share any documentation at all (just provide binary-only Windows drivers), or want to disclose it under terms under which we cannot produce a driver under the GPL for Linux.

Given the rather high per-unit fee, and the fees that broadcasters must pay to broadcast HD content, I think analog FM radios will be around for quite some time.

Incidentally, I just discovered that iBiquity says that "HD" does not stand for "Hybrid Digital" - according to them, it doesn't mean anything.

Duane, I will bet you ONE current generation Chumby that in 4 years the majority 50 + 1 % of the FM radio receivers sold in the USA contain "HD" Digital Hybrid receivers. That 90 % of all NEW vehicle sales in the USA will contain a Digital FM receiver as standard equipment.
If this is NOT the case I will donate the equivalent cost of a chumby to the Charity of your choice.
Digital FM radio is a reality. It is very present in many  major markets in the USA and is (in a different form which is NOt compatible with the US version) in Europe.
There are no less than 20 stations in the Los Angeles area broadcasting digital FM radio. (as an example)

There is NO ESCAPING this reality. If FM radio is to survive it will be digital.

BTW Many AM stations broadcast a digital signal When received AM digital sounds like FM. Amazing.

Yaesumofo

Duane wrote:

I'm not sure where you're getting this pricing information from.  Presumably we should be seeing sub $20 HD radios at retail if this were the case.

Apparently, iBiquity charges a $50/unit license fee just to include HD receiver support, on top of the chip cost.  I think the fee is still there, but clearly negotiable since Best Buy now has a $49 receiver on the market, however, we're not Best Buy, so it's unlikely we'd get similar terms.

Note that a chip simply being available isn't enough - we also need to have the ability to create drivers under the appropriate licenses to include them in the operating system.  Quite often we'll disqualify a part because the vendor will either not share any documentation at all (just provide binary-only Windows drivers), or want to disclose it under terms under which we cannot produce a driver under the GPL for Linux.

Given the rather high per-unit fee, and the fees that broadcasters must pay to broadcast HD content, I think analog FM radios will be around for quite some time.

Incidentally, I just discovered that iBiquity says that "HD" does not stand for "Hybrid Digital" - according to them, it doesn't mean anything.

A Chumby in hand is worth 20 in the Wherehouse.

I agree the *technology* is there, however, as long as that license fee structure is in place, then I'm going to have stay very skeptical.

I wish I had a dime for every new (usually more expensive) "better" technology has failed to replace an older, "good enough" technology, and either failed, or simply lived alongside the older one.

Despite the dramatic improvement of FM, there are still plenty of AM stations happily broadcasting.  Black and white TVs are still manufactured. The High Definition video media (HD-DVD and Bluray) have yet to make a dent in DVD sales, and one format is even dead after only a couple of years.  Audio CDs took almost two decades to display cassette, and some people even still want vinyl. This list goes on - digital tape, laser disc, satellite radio, minidisc, Beta, VCRplus....

30 (edited by theprawn 2009-10-07 13:42:33)

Steve Tomlin wrote:

speaking frankly, I'm not even sure why anyone would care much about this because we have so many other crystal clear digital internet music services and are dramatically beefing up our streamed local radio stations via iheartradio from Clear Channel.  Local stations via iheartradio often also include cool "meta-information" like song title, album art, lyrics, etc.  I think you're going to like the "one" but many will still prefer the "classic" because they're a little different -- so now you'll have a choice.

Not all local stations have a digital offering; and of those that do, not all of them are in a format Chumby can utilize.  Most of the stations where I live cannot be played on the Chumby.

It is good to hear--assuming I'm reading you correctly--iheartradio is getting beefed up, though.  At present it is crap and far from "local" for me.

FM tuner also makes the chumby not-altogether-useless when you're unable to go online. It happens.

yaesumofo wrote:

The There are very inexpensive WIFI chips which include N as well as Hybred digital radio.
These parts cost literally a buck or two would it really be too much to ask for a cutting edge device? Why dumb it down? so much.

look here:
http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/555766
and here:
http://www.broadcom.com/press/release.php?id=1233460
In light of the $99.00 price tag and the similarities and the inclusion of a "dial" Why is the Orignal chumby so expensive when compared to this  new unit? Or rather why is the new one so cheap? The cost of high speed USB x1 vs full speed x2 really can't account for it.
There are plenty of very inexpensive multipurpose chips  available these days for advanced features to NOT be included.

FM, Bluetooth, and even GPS could be included. Giving the hackers something to play with.
These features do not even need to be enabled but they included in the hardware design at minimal cost.
I am guessing that the price point demanded cheap parts and there was not any room to play.
Maybe in the next version....
Yaesumofo

You do know that Broadcomm chips are very Linux unfriendly?
As in, a similar issue to WMA support, because unless things have changed, Broadcomm, and especially anything with Bluetooth is very closed source...

Wow, it's great to hear about the new soon-to-be-available chumby.  Duane and gang are so talented

I own the original and briefly played around with FLASH, but soon had to give up playing because there was little sample code variety available as kindling for more advanced exploring/hacking.  I really think Chumby should make the source code from all widgets available by default except from those specially registered (commercial producers).  Unfortunately, the flash tutorial section on the wiki is pretty slim.

I have ended up not using my Chumby for an alarm clock primarily because of the wacky backup alarm and lack of backup battery.  It's turned into an uber cool paper weight I'm afraid.

Here's what I really hope to see in the new unit: ability to create alarm widgets with custom alarm functions via FLASH eg: I'd like to create my own custom one click alarm screen with several preset alarm time choices, ability to have a 2nd alarm that's tied to the 1st alarm (ie: automatically go off x mins after the first alarm), snooze function, ability to invoke fade in/out of the alarm and snooze sounds,  quick nap function (one touch x mins alarm), real backup alarm that fires x mins after the 1st alarm - in/exclude the alarm duration option (the current backup alarm is fairly useless with its hard set 1-5 minutes that ignores the alarm duration setting in the current Chumby). 

Something I really like about my Chumby is the pretty decent sound.  I sure hope the sound from the new one doesn't sound like it's coming from a plastic can!

Jay.

At this point, the Chumby One is running exactly the same Control Panel as the original.  However, we'll bring up your suggestions with Product Management.

Hi everyone,

I would like to ask a question about the new chumby.

I saw the "classical" one can reproduce music from an Ipod. I would like to know if the new one can play from a normal MP3, and if so, how does it work (is there a player?)

My idea is using the chumby as a music player so i would like to know the possibilities of storage and also if i connect good speakers (2.1) i get a good sound.

Thank you very much!

Can this be tethered to a cell phone?

Got schematics? smile Pretty please smile

Any word on when this will be available in Japan?

38 (edited by chispito 2009-11-12 07:12:44)

Steve Tomlin wrote:

Standard rechargeable battery is enabled, but not included.  International plug-power adaptor *is* included.  Should get at least an hour's play time from it, possibly longer.  We'll be shipping these all over the world, though still working out exactly when we'll be able to go international -- as always, the issues of certifications, regulations, etc.  We now have a distributor in Europe, so hopefully easier local product availability will improve.  One color only (the white with blue trim) for now -- so an adaptation of the "Henry Ford Model T" strategy on this, so hope you like it! :^)  Nothing special about the FM other than that it is available for those who still love it -- speaking frankly, I'm not even sure why anyone would care much about this because we have so many other crystal clear digital internet music services and are dramatically beefing up our streamed local radio stations via iheartradio from Clear Channel.  Local stations via iheartradio often also include cool "meta-information" like song title, album art, lyrics, etc.  I think you're going to like the "one" but many will still prefer the "classic" because they're a little different -- so now you'll have a choice.

Hi!!! Firt post here!!! smile Excited about the new One! Just preordered one but I'm not sure or it's not clear for me if an AC power supply IS included in the box...please let me know! Thanks! smile

Yes the AC adaptor comes with in the box.

Duane wrote:

Yes the AC adaptor comes with in the box.

Sorry if I may seem dumb...:) Perhaps it's that English is not my native language wink You mean the power supply thing, right?
So that I can plug it in the socket...:)

Thanks!!! smile

Yes, Si, Oui, Ja, Da, Ken, Ha ji, Yebo, Ita smile

Duane -

Will the Chumby One have a better "My Music" GUI for playing music off USB drives? The Chumby's is lousy (just shows count of audio files, no browsing, no file information or tags).  That's my biggest annoyance with the Chumby.

-LloydM

"It's Chumbological!"

The Chumby One sounds like what I've been looking for.

One question I have is how the FM radio is integrated into the function and interface of the product.

Can I turn on the FM radio, tune to a station, then pop back over to the clock interface while the radio continues to play?

Also, from a developer's standpoint is the radio accessible to control from a widget?

Great product!

The FM radio is a music source, just like Shoutcast or My Streams.  That means that, yes, you can tune to a station and then go back to widget play.

It's implemented as a web service, just like iPod or mDNS support.  Theoretically, you could use the service to come up with a widget that displayed signal strength, all three RDS fields, and some other fun pieces of metadata.

Nice to hear the FM Radio is open to developers.  This is going to be a blast. 

I'm going to buy a couple of the Chumby Ones.  What a fun and useful gadget!

I know this is horrible to say... but... when will you be releasing the newer innards of the Chumby in the older form-factor? (leather)

My daughter loves to cuddle up in my bed w/my Chumby (Tuff-Stuff) and play the accelerometer type games by holding both sides and tipping and turning away. I can't really picture that with a volume knob on one side.

Yet as a computer enthusiast, it goes against the grain to purchase "last years model".

So I'm in a bind. I don't dare get a Chumby One for around the house. I promised the next Chumby would be hers. sad But I can't see this Chumby being as cuddly as the other. O.o

What to do! Will Tuff-Stuff ever have a companion? Tune in next post! big_smile

Duane wrote:

Yes, Si, Oui, Ja, Da, Ken, Ha ji, Yebo, Ita smile

Thanks! smile

While the LIon battery will be optional, will the Chumby include the charging circuit for the battery or will that be done outside the Chumby by a user supplied charger?

The chumby one includes the charging circuit and will charge the battery.

Any plans on making Chumby Skins?  ie. similar to cell phone covers?