Topic: Thanks for Wired Ethernet!

I was just fumbling around and noticed that I did not have my USB drive on me this morning.   

Panic set in - How would I boot to the ethernet device if I did not have a debugchumby available!  I ran around attempting to find an extra USB and got it ready with a hastily created debugchumby file.

Then lo - The usb device was not supported.  I watched in vain as the I realized that it was not properly booting my debugchumby file...

Despair... but ... whats this.... AN ETHERNET OPTION BUILT INTO THE DEVICE??!  The people rejoiced!!!

Thank you CHUMBY!

smile

Re: Thanks for Wired Ethernet!

What? The Chumby now has wired Ethernet support built in? What Ethernet adapters are supported? Is there anything special I need to do to get it to work?

But what does it all mean!?!

I too am curious on the details of this revelation. smile

What it means, (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong), is that as of v2.8.33 you should be able to use USB Ethernet adapters based on the ASIX chip set, CDC drivers, as well pas pegasus-based network cards to connect your Chumby to the Internet. Meaning no more dependency on Wireless.

Generally correct - the support is actually in Firmware 1.7, not the Control Panel 2.8.33 per se, however, you should run both to get the support to configure it both before and after the Control Panel is downloaded.

It also assumes that the USB ID of the dongle you're using is in the firmware's database matching devices and drivers - that may not be the case for very new devices.  If yours is not supported, and it uses one of these chipsets, then post information in this thread.

Awesome - maybe I should actually go visit my in-laws now! =p

Cheers.

So if I plug in an Airlink I don't need a .debugchumby file? It will automatically default to Ethernet??

W6TT6GyA wrote:

So if I plug in an Airlink I don't need a .debugchumby file? It will automatically default to Ethernet??

No, but you can configure it for Ethernet.  If the chumby detects a compatible Ethernet adapter, then you're given an option to choose between wired and wireless in the network configuration wizard.  The chumby will retain the settings, just as it does for wireless, and would continue to use those settings on reboot.

Hmm ok. So if I want to use wireless in one room and wired in another is the best solution to continue to use a debugchumby file?

No, you don't need any sort of "debugchumby" file.  You can configure each and choose the network configuration when you switch rooms.

ok - but it defaults to the last used connection right? See my wireless works all through the house but is flakey so in the bedroom I use wired ethernet. BUT if it's been in my office, it will default to wireless. It would be nice if it asked if it detects both OR if I could set a preference to always connect via ethernet if available that would be peachy.

Does it give a threat or something similar to write functional adapters?
This one work at my Chumby in Germany:
USB Netzwerkadapter für Wii + PC / Fa. Conrad Electronic SE / OrderNo.: 972580
Boot up the Chumby, choose the wired network, settings and work without problems smile

Also consider that some office environments do not allow for WiFi.  Having wired ethernet gives them a way to use Chumby!

Does the WLAN switch off if Ethernet is chosen?
Have anybody this information?

This is good news.
Could people post which adaptors they managed to get working please, preferably cheap ebay ones so we can all go and buy one.

I'm not sure I can stand the defective wireless option for much longer sad

Tom wrote:

Does the WLAN switch off if Ethernet is chosen?
Have anybody this information?

I'm pretty sure that the wireless stays on even when ethernet is chosen. In the Chumby One, it is easy to take the back off and physically disconnect the wireless card as it is connected via a USB connector.
On the Classic, you need to follow the instructions in the wiki: http://wiki.chumby.com/mediawiki/index. … connection