1 (edited by akba 2009-01-19 02:52:28)

Topic: D10 - uClamp3301D burn

I managed to burn D10 - uClamp3301D with non-chumby power source. No fuse is down.
Hower I read schematic and did not understand how D10 can be damaged? any help would be appriciated.
Device does not start any more but before replasing D10 I would like to understand what happend.

Cheers, -Aki

Re: D10 - uClamp3301D burn

D10 being burned out is certainly interesting. It is an ESD clamp for protecting the core electronics.

Did you try taking the unit apart and putting it back together again, such that you could risk putting in the chumbilical connector backwards? That would cause 5V to be applied across the uclamp, which is designed to clamp voltages above 3.3V, and that would quickly cause the diode to burn out since it's only designed to clamp short pulses of  electrostatic energy and not sustained overvoltage conditions.

7BAA 2E53 01C1 DCFF 497B  E7F0 9699 A303 78F0 D9B9

I did not take unit appart before diode was burnt. I simply connected different power source. Yes I'm really confused, I have no idea that could couse the diode to burn.....
I have to investigate further.

I have the same problem with D10 that looked burnt and it makes clicking noise (but no display) when power up.

Please advice.

Thanks.

CF

akba wrote:

I managed to burn D10 - uClamp3301D with non-chumby power source. No fuse is down.
Hower I read schematic and did not understand how D10 can be damaged? any help would be appriciated.
Device does not start any more but before replasing D10 I would like to understand what happend.

Cheers, -Aki