Topic: Will Chumby Device Work if Company Goes Away

I'm just about ready to purchase a Chumby.  I'm waiting until the light brown and white ones are available in the 2009 model.  I did think of something that concerns me though.  If I buy a Chumby and then if the company that makes them goes out of business (which a lot of companies have been doing lately unfortunately) will my Chumby still work or do I need their services in order for it to work fully?

Thank you.

Shannon

Re: Will Chumby Device Work if Company Goes Away

Thanks for your interest in chumby. This has more or less been answered in a previous post - http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=12021#p12021

Thank you for the quick reply, but I had already read that post and I don't see how it answers my question.  Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something?

Maybe I'm not being clear.  Here's what I'm asking.  Will my Chumby still work if the company goes under?

Thank you.

Shannon

Well, the widgets all come from a service that the company operates, and I guess if the company went away, so would the servers.

However, the chumby has so many hackable software components that it's quite possible to use a chumby to do interesting things even without a connection to our servers.  The most obvious is to simply put Flash movies, including widgets, on a USB dongle and running them from there.  This is all well documented on the wiki.

There are also several people that have produced alternative firmware for the device - should we go away, I would guess that somebody would quickly publish a firmware image to replace the one in the device.  The source code for most of the firmware (everything but the Flash Player and Control Panel) is publicly posted - if you're concerned, then I'd encourage you to download that source and back in up on a CD or DVD.

Of course, the best way to reduce the possibility of our demise is to support us by buying our products.

It's funny, I made this exact same post yesterday. I didn't realize before I bought the Chumby how inter-connected it was to Chumby.com.

Duane, correct me if I'm wrong, but without the Flash Player and Control Panel, wouldn't that leave the Chumby in an unusable state? Also, could you provide links to those sources / firmwares you mention? Thanks.

What makes Chumby a cool product is all the great widgets avaliable to stream through it. I suspect if chumby.com is shut down all those widgets will be useless and we will be stuck in "hack your way to something" hell trying to get the same items back on the chumby via scripts and other non-total geek friendly tools.  I really think someone needs to start making a simular interface (website) like chumby.com (that will allow the same widgets to work there) so our chumbies will have a new place to call home in case chumby.com goes away one day.

Neither of the packages I've released require the Chumby servers, or chumby.com to exist.  Quake doesn't yet use the network card (I still need to figure out why it wasn't working.)

Besides Quake, I posted a bunch of Unix utilities that give you fbcon support, and if you boot off a USB dongle, will give you a full (albeit tiny) Linux console device.  Since it's all contained on a USB dongle, the only danger to something going away is the hosted 60-megabyte tarball file that contains the image.

So your saying all the widgets will still work without unit connecting to Chumby.com?? Hmm..

ChumbyLurker wrote:

Neither of the packages I've released require the Chumby servers, or chumby.com to exist.  Quake doesn't yet use the network card (I still need to figure out why it wasn't working.)

Besides Quake, I posted a bunch of Unix utilities that give you fbcon support, and if you boot off a USB dongle, will give you a full (albeit tiny) Linux console device.  Since it's all contained on a USB dongle, the only danger to something going away is the hosted 60-megabyte tarball file that contains the image.

This does not take into consideration the actual Flash widgets.  No network. No widgets, unless you were to load them locally.  I would hope, that if indeed such a thing happens, Chumby Ind. would be able to provide information to developers on how to start their own networks.

Let's hope that day never comes! smile

Cheers.

cbreeze wrote:

This does not take into consideration the actual Flash widgets.  No network. No widgets, unless you were to load them locally.

Serving the widgets from another host than chumby.com shouldn't be that tricky. I serve all the widgets I use from the local webserver strait on the chumby without having internet connection at all. It's basically just a hand full of (rather simple) xml-files that are requested by the controlpanel.

nofix wrote:

Also, could you provide links to those sources / firmwares you mention? Thanks.

Sure - all of the source code should be here.  This is also linked from the front page of the wiki.

nofix wrote:

Duane, correct me if I'm wrong, but without the Flash Player and Control Panel, wouldn't that leave the Chumby in an unusable state?

Well, if we go away, the Flash Player doesn't magically disappear from the product, since it's built into the firmware.  It's a perfectly functional Flash Lite 3 player, and there's nothing about it that's tied in any way to chumby.com.

There's also a full, complete Control Panel built into the device, just a few versions back form the one that's downloaded. You can launch it and point it to an entirely different server besides chumby.com if you like, just use:

chumbyflashplayer.x -i /usr/widgets/controlpanel.swf -dbaseURL=http://ip.of.main.site -dwidgetsURL=http://where.widgets.come.from

You could also simply create a hosts file redirecting the chumby.com domains. Of course, any alternative server would have to understand the XML-based protocols that the Control Panel uses - as pointed out elsewhere, they're pretty simple and straightforward.  Chances are, however, that an alternative service would implement a different protocol.

In order to host the existing widgets, the operator of this alternative service would have to get explicit permission from the authors of the widgets to redistribute them.

nofix wrote:

In order to host the existing widgets, the operator of this alternative service would have to get explicit permission from the authors of the widgets to redistribute them.

Wonder how much work would this take. I hope our community is strong enough to keep this effort going.

Crap, now I wont be able to sleep tonite worrying about Chumby's untimely demise

vw195 wrote:

Crap, now I wont be able to sleep tonite worrying about Chumby's untimely demise

Yes, I think that was the point of all of these similar threads.

Hmmm...

Duane wrote:
vw195 wrote:

Yes, I think that was the point of all of these similar threads.

Hmmm...

Heh well my Chumby is by my bed so at least I will have something to look at while I cant sleep.

In any case I am impressed with your patience and self control while answering posts on this board in a civil manner.

Interesting discussion.  Thank you all for contributing.  This helps me see what you mean much better.