Topic: Metro WiFi + Chumby

I'm keen to learn about your ideas of how chumby can be used in an urban neighbourhood that has excellent wireless coverage. I'm particularly interested in ideas that enhance a sense of community within a neighbourhood and build friendships among residents with similar interests.

My initial ideas are fairly obvious ones...to stream announcements of local events; advertising for local merchants; personally advertise objects/services that you'd like to swap; local weather forecast; local traffic news; neighbourhood environmental measures (e.g. water usage stats, UV index etc.).

But there must be more creative ideas floating around in the chumby community's collective brain? Please share! smile

Re: Metro WiFi + Chumby

Well you could make some sort of a craig's list on it and maby some street maps dunno i might repost later when I think of something more.

Re: Metro WiFi + Chumby

Angela's suggestion reminds me of how CB radios used to be used in urban neighborhoods, in the 1970s.

Yeah there's chat-rooms and stuff, now, but all of that is much "bigger" and more vast than the intimacy of CB radios extending only to a small range outside of your immediate locale.

It'd be interesting for there to be a webapp of some kind to "bunch" Chumbies registered to users in a close proximity, then pooled into a community widget of some sort... that would encourage neighbor-to-neighbor interactions.

I'm just a GUI and a hardware person, so don't know programming for diddly- though I think it's an idea that could have potential!